Yep those cringey ones just make you squirm ugh! I have dropped some of them. 

My rewatch drama as well! I will gravitate towards it  when I need a break from the run of the mill stuff.  BTW- that garbled text joke and the cake one are both so funny.   The other one that cracks me up everytime is when the niece is talking to to the FL about how men behave/respond to texts when they are with a woman or having an affair and the colleague receives the same kind of text. I  mean I could go on and on. This drama makes a parody of everything. You are right! How did these actors keep a straight face through this drama?

And there are parallels to Pride and Prejudice - not just character templates but also the kind of humor this drama has .

koreanbosuji:

Hey @Rita

You HAVE a pretty full list of some REALLY good Cdrama catching up to do.
I think you are ALL set.

Have fun .. and would love to hear your thoughts on the MDL Forum of the respective shows.

I keep returning there to see who all and what all is being said ;-p

thank you. I found the OFL novel and enjoyed reading it quite a bit even though the translation was a bit odd at places.... its really well written overall. Yeah, I think unfortunately my reading habits have taken a hit with all these amazing dramas available now.... will see how I go. watching Love like the Galaxy which has been wonderful. 

Kinara:

Now that I am here - I have to say how much I enjoyed this drama and was laughing throughout. Even the way she breaks up with that first boyfriend is completely hilarious. This was a really quirky drama with so much tongue in cheek humor.  And it is for a crowd with a certain type of intelligence. By the way is being beautiful a crime now? Are they going to burn beautiful women on a stake? Yeah the hate this drama got for the most ridiculous things.   Cheers to intelligent women who are whacky at love 😂🤣. Just thinking about it cracks me up.

So agree. those cracks about her beauty were pretty weird... love Shu Yi - no false modesty there, thank goodness.

Kinara:

My rewatch drama as well! I will gravitate towards it  when I need a break from the run of the mill stuff.  BTW- that garbled text joke and the cake one are both so funny.   The other one that cracks me up everytime is when the niece is talking to to the FL about how men behave/respond to texts when they are with a woman or having an affair and the colleague receives the same kind of text. I  mean I could go on and on. This drama makes a parody of everything. You are right! How did these actors keep a straight face through this drama?

And there are parallels to Pride and Prejudice - not just character templates but also the kind of humor this drama has .

I thought the tone was very P&P - and P&P after all is the epitome of delicious layered humour which not everyone appreciates. So I kinda see why some / many people do not get this one either. I loved the cake joke so much! 

Yes the layered humor when done right is so good! Certainly for a more open minded audience who can  aappreaciate this kind of humor. That is why you have 2 polar opinions - either people totally love it or just hate it.

This drama also reminds me of one of my most favorite  romcoms called  ‘Leap Year’ with Amy Adams and Matthew Goode which was totally wacky and funny as well!

Will check out 'Leap year' thanks! 

Yes I have watched that one multiple times and it still cracks me up

OP, 

I've only just started this (thru ep 5) , but have skipped ahead enough to know where it's going.  I don't see where she deliberately decided to use him to take revenge on her ex & his GF?  To me, it seems that she was ambushed by her feelings that she's been in denial of because she cares more about her pet project and she's hurting by the betrayal she's suffered.

Let's face it:  She's a career-person.  She uses him to further her career and as the cornerstone of her proposal to get the e-magazine off the ground.  I won't comment on the reality of this actually happening as I don't know the Chinese domestic market, but let's assume that it's possible.  And her boss uses her connection to him (although unaware of how deep the relationship is) as well to push things along.  So she's being pushed along this path towards him, while being completely unaware/uncaring of his feelings.  

We know that he's been smitten with her since the beginning and finds her fascinating. (Dylan does a fantastic job in recreating the character in the novel:  the way he looks at her, with that curious, disbelieving stare, is almost like an entomologist studying a new species of butterfly, and is both funny and sad.  He's so awkward when he smiles, I almost LOL).   

So, she uses him throughout the series to achieve her professional goals, while trying to ignore the fact that their 'relationship' is plagued by misunderstandings and lies she's told him.  Is her inability to be completely honest with him a sign she really doesn't care about him?  Or is she so used to saying anything to get whatever she wants, that it makes her lying simply part of who she is?

I think I would have slightly tweaked the series/novel to make him use her industry contacts for intelligence purposes  - so we'd have 2 people using each other for their professional gains, while unexpectedly falling in love.  

But, she's cute, and ruthless, while he's smart and clueless.  He'll get blindsided eventually and it's going to get ugly because he won't know how to handle it, except maybe to run, which he can't because of his job.  In the end, it's a story, and there for us to enjoy or complain about.  So far, I'm in (but I like slow-burn stuff).

@LA_Drama Fan 

Here's my 2-cents on Shu Yi's feelings towards Shi Yan. As captured by her facial expression during their first meeting, when she pretended to borrow his power bank, she "fell in crush" with him at first face-to-face sight. But she is so internally conflicted, as manifested by her constant lying, that she managed to lie even to herself. She convinced herself there were two main reasons she tried to pursue him - to show her ex that she is worth more than "the uncle's" cars  and to use Shi Yan for her e-magazine. It was only in ep 9 that she confessed her crush on Shi Yan to Shanshan.

I've been wondering whether this is what the title "Only For love" means; that the real reason she chased him is only for love.

So, in one corner we have a high-IQ, low-EQ contradictory female lead. In another corner is a  high-IQ, high-EQ but petty, jealous and reserved male lead. How these two overcome their behavioral flaws is a fascinating watch. 

@LADRAMA FAN

LOL!  Ambushed by her feelings is the right word. And then she does not know what to do with it because of her internal conflict! 

@Kinara - exactly.  Its funny, shorts for this show keep popping up on my youtube timeline.  There were really 2 key moments in the show.  At one point, he asks her (in the Rolls, in a pre-breakup moment) what are you feelings for me (or words to that effect), but she's asleep (or faking to be asleep to not answer the question....showing his growing distrust and confusion for their 'relationship'.  And in Ep 31 (this showed up today in my timeline), he asks her, post-breakup,  after she tells him she wishes he wouldn't go on a trip without her, he asks her 'what identity of yours are you asking me with?' showing he realizes how conficlited she is.  But, of course she can't give him an honest answer.  Bailu and Dylan did such a great job conveying these characters that it pains me to see the negative reviews of the series based on them.  She is just a 'want-it-all' woman who can't decide her priorities in life (work or love) and I'm thinking he's so gun-shy after the last relationship that he needs to understand her before going any further, and he can't trust her, much less figure her out.  So many times I wanted to grab her by the shoulders and yell "JUST TELL HIM YOU LOVE HIM".  But, I don't think she really did until after she got the IV drip and he was there for her yet again.

@LA_Drama Fan

I loved reading your review.

You have beautifully captured the essence of their relationship that was the main motor of the romcom's top conflict and tension.

We rolled along with them like a ship tossed on troubled waters - and loved the ride.

Yes that itch : "kiss him - tell him - hug him " etc 😂😂😂

@Kinara 

@LA_Drama Fan 

:-D

I too loved that superb description "ambushed by her feelings"

@LA drama fan- Ecactly!  She was so confused and conflicted especially with this tsunami of feelings and the attention from him that.she did not know what to do. She was like a deer under the headlights .  those negative reviews were totally uncalled for .

Bai Lu was so good in this role.