1st challenge:

Hello Jojo77. I've looked through your drama list and while you've watched most of my list that applies to your preferance I hope some of these recommendations fit. Otherwise send a dm and I'll dive deeper for knowledge ヾ(≧ ▽ ≦)ゝ

1. Twinkling Watermelon 16 ep 1h 10min - a youth serie with music, family and love at it's core. Takes place in the present and the past with some flash-backs to connect the stories. It's refreshing with some tears and heartstrings attached but a perfect spring/early summer watch.
2. Summer guys 10 ep 30min - a web series with summer vibes with relationships at it's core. Softer romance and a fun watch without too much investment mentally. Love goes around a bit so if rooting for the wrong ship is too heartaching maybe pass, but pretty clear which they want you to pair.

3. Innocent (bl) 4 ep 23min - a very different story that puts light on childhood trauma, split persona (mdl says DID) and unusual relationship dynamic at the beginning. Really short and budget tight but a good short watch for something different. TW: SA

Bonus from your PTW that doesn't fit the previous profile but may work as stand in if intresting enough:
4. Mr. Heart (bl) 8 ep 11min - two cute characters that really likes to run. A bit like A breeze of Love but less aggression with more understanding and a lot cuter (imo).
5. My School President (bl) 12 ep 55min - you haven't seen cute until you've watched this. Youth in school with a crush and pining at it's most adorable stage. Funny, cute (and even sometimes childish) to the point of a tooth ache. But it is young love and really embraces the thai concept and clichés. You really have to have the right mood for it and generally appreciate the acting to really like it. Don't go looking for a serious and profound plot here. It's for vibes only.

Open for almost anything. No horror with dolls, ghosts or true story based  And no love triangle. But any origin and number of episodes. Bl, gl or straight is up to you. Give me a selection of your best watches. Thanks ^.^
Thank you for all the different recs Sweetsis. Most of them sounded really good, but I don't trust myself of not binge-watching a full length drama before exams. Therefore I accept Sweetsis recommendation of Gameboys. But some others will denfinietly go on PTW.

Rating: tbd

Thoughts:

Thesis we've watched a similar amount of dramas 

let-s-talk-about-chu is for more of a mature audience as it explores whether sex and love mean the same thing. There are 3 couples that have different ages that explore their identity and what they want from the world.

cold-case-provisional-task-force is a great move showcasing what hard work can achieve even with a barrier of dyslexia. You will always be rooting for him

gameboys is set during the pandemic everywhere faced but who knew romance can spark between screens and generally made me laugh. Favourite scene is the first kiss scene.

our-police-course this had many character growth as students train to become police they learn what that truly means today in a corrupt society. Yes this will make you cry as friendships are tested

I want physiological thrillers that talk about issues in our society such as traumamatic experiences like rape and murder with the consequences explored.

Would love another crime with one trying to right the wrongs of society 

I accept hope 

Girl from nowhere definitely will end up in my PTW 

7th challenge complete and picture updated for the badge (sorry for taking so long) 

@Sweetsis I have a couple recommendations for you, I think you might enjoy. My go to rec would have been 3 Nen a Gumi which you already watched, but those are similar: 

• The Gifted (includes corruption, inequality and social differences and a student who fights the system) 
  • Not Me (tackling social inequality and the fight for justice/revenge) 
  • Girl From Nowhere (includes different misdeeds from students like rape, bullying and a girl that exposes them) 
  • Hope (Movie that is based on the true story of a girl who was raped and the trauma it caused her and her family)

Open for recommendations. Preferably from my MDL Watch Challenge Custom List and something short but also open to other recs. Movie recs are welcome too, because I haven't watched many movies lately. Thank you! :) 

I accept the recommendation for Moonlight Chicken. I was saving it for a while but it's time to watch it. Thank you, Jojo! Your recommendations are always welcome, dear! :) 

1st Challenge|| 2nd Challenge||  3rd Challenge || 4th Challenge  || 5th Challenge || 6th Challenege ||7th Challenge || 8th Challenge ||  9th Challenge || 10th Challenge 

Hi JulyMoon 

Hope you don't mind recommendations from me. xD It's always the other way around so... 

All the recommendations are from your PTW list -

1. Unknown - A 12-episode Taiwanese BL drama. For me, this is one of my favourite BL of 2024. The acting and storytelling were very on point. 

2. Moonlight Chicken - A 8-episode Thai BL. Since you introduced me to Earth and Mix(ATOTS)  this has to be  here *_*

3. Hidden Love - A 25-episode Chinese drama. A lot of fluff with amazing acting and chemistry between ML & FL. One of the few Chinese dramas I absolutely love.  

Let me know if you prefer something else. 

Open for reccs. No Horror.

Hi ElBee  - Thank you for the recommendations and such explanatory descriptions. :)) I was torn between my My Dearest and Dr. Romantic and the BL. Since Dr. Romantic (S2) has been on PTW for long, so will choose Dr. Romatic (S1) so I can watch S2. xD But will definitely watch My Dearest and About Youth later on. 

Accepted Recommendation From Elbee - Dr. Romantic 

Rating: TBD

17th challenge completed! Thank you for such a great rec, Tanii!

Hi, Jojo! Quite a few I thought to recommend you have already seen, so here is my very long rambling set of recommendations this round (just woke up from a nap that was much needed after wiping myself out earlier, sorry for the word vomit, dear!). Don’t be too surprised if I get you again and recommend the others after so much researching this round! Of course, if you mention that you are completely not gonna watch one of these, I will X it out. :) 

If you don‘t need the drama to have super slick cinematography, I really recommend 2004 jdrama Home Drama that starts with a group of people, all of whom lost their closest loved ones to an accident when a tour bus flipped (some right beside them in the bus, some not there because they were busy working, etc) who have survivor’s guilt and are mourning but have no one to just exist and breathe around… they come together in the new home, still in progress, of an architect who was one of the survivors and sent them an invitation to stay there… It is deeply healing for them and my heart both ached and felt relief, fell in love with all their stories, and just loved how it all fell together. My eyes had to do some two-decades-ago adjusting  (especially since naturally it was put online when the resolution was not so amazing), but once I was there with the characters, I was charmed and couldn’t dock points for compression in the “early days of YouTube” era of the web or it being made then because it had my heart. 

More modern options:

Dr. Romantic -I saw S2 in your watchlist, and this (along with the extra episode called the “appendix” cleverly that goes into a bit of backstory of the main “Kim Sabu”) really does need to be watched first if you want to get the real heart of all the characters because so much is established in the first season that you would be missing some seriously lovely buildup to scenes in S2 if you don’t watch its first. I wasn’t in love with the younger of the two MLs having known, back in med school, guys just like him lol, but he grows quite a lot (I also have a Yang Se Jong bias and have since that trio of back to back feeling releases he did, Duel especially, so of course I wanted more of him)… the hospital staff is an eclectic mix that I love to bits, and Han Seok Kyu admittedly makes my heart flutter as an older person who wants a bedtime story series of his voice to go to sleep to lol. It is 20 eps, 20 hours, plus the 21st episode (linked here) with lots of stories told in that time. (FWIW I like S2 even better bc of the young residents and romance in that season, but it would truly not do justice to the immense stories of everyone else to not know what transpired in S1-a whole lot of it would be just thrown at you without you having the benefit of understanding the plights that lead to those points/developments… not impossible, but you won’t have context for many parts even if you could probably just nod and say “well, this is what is happening now” without looking into the history of this place full of it. Definitely better with S1 references understood, hard belief on my part lol. 

My Dearest is a historical kdrama that was, yes, hyped like mad (I was guilty of picture posts to occasional extremes, commentary on cinematography and how the writer and director were constantly using tiny color cues to reference things we’d already watched, things that showed the mindset of the character we were looking at as they often were thinking of the other lead)… but if you want impeccable cinematography, even managing action shots at night with a crazy hard level of detail to achieve without washing out the colors with artificial looking lighting, it has that and a seriously intense love story… also some truly hellish but realistic scenes of invasions and how women were treated so badly as they fought to live or died for some reasons that are completely maddening. It is not light fluff despite starting with a couple of gorgeous idyllic episodes in a village full of people sheltered from the hardships outside their precious little home space. It does have 2 parts (they didn’t wish to have weeks of episodes being skipped while the Asian Games were scheduled w/SK playing on their days, so they found a suitable cutoff point and took a break in airing; part 1 here is 13 hours or so total, 10 eps that are about 80mins a piece acc to the page)… you can, naturally, stop at part 1 if that is the ending you want lol. :)

3 Nen A Gumi: Ima kara Mina-san wa, Hitojichi Desu (9 hours total viewing time) is a bit of a thriller that has a teacher hold, 10 days before graduation, his homeroom hostage, bombing the school to keep them stuck with him, to find out what happened to a student who died the month before. Self explanatory, I think, and the ML Suda Masaki is a favorite chameleon of a jdrama actor for me. (He also starred in Mystery to Lunakare and dele which I highly recommend!) Very fast-paced with a lot of heart and a little mystery. 

A light option (though the high school set jdrama isn’t hard viewing, it isn't fluff) in case you want fluff that I just didn’t gravitate toward today: Taiwanese BL drama About Youth is a short, sweet slice of life (short as in 3.5 hours).

I hope you enjoy whatever you choose! 

Open for recs! Can be from anywhere though I am craving Jdramas at the moment for whatever reason, probably storytelling style. No big deal if you don’t have any from there that would suit my taste or that you need someone else to see desperately! :) Same as always, no dubbing or romanticized violence from the writer’s POV (“bc he loves you so much and is a wounded man” justifications of domestic violence will make me hate a writer to a point of no redemption), and ignore my PTW (I prefer recs for titles I don’t even know about-those are my best surprises!)-most of my PTW titles that aren’t second seasons of something were added whenever someone I liked was “in talks” for something with little or no description, so I need to clean it out since many just proved not my kind of story and didn’t even have the cast member I wanted to see lol. My completed list, sorted by rating, is your easiest way to know what I like or really don’t. (Of course, if I’m already watching it or have it on hold, skip those-they are already on my radar, some on hold bc they are not completely out yet in that one season didn’t finish the story-I have Vagabond trauma, y’all ;_; .) 

Well, this is easy-I’ve already seen Oh No! Here Comes Trouble, so I accept Forgotten_Words’s for In Blossom. I just finished a modern era investigation CDrama (Under the Skin-which is fantastic!) and now I will tumble into a historical one! Should be interesting to see them back to back, especially since I rarely watch Cdramas at all!

Hi, ElBee! I went through your list, and I am really sorry, but I am not a J-drama watcher and can hence not recommend you one. But, I have a few c-drama recs for you, feel free to check them out if want to!

1. Oh no! Here comes trouble: A short Taiwanese drama that explores different sides of humans, with powerful performances and a slight touch of horror and comedy. No matter the viewer's tolerance, this one is a tear jerker. 

2. In Blossom : Set in a fictional time period in ancient china, one of the best investigation dramas that I have come across in the past few months. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am open to recs, preferably c-dramas, but I don't mind dramas or movies from any other country as well. Just no horror or sap, please.

olily, challenge accepted. Since I am already watching a heavy drama, i.e. Joy of Life s2,I choose When we were young from your recs.  

Hey, Forgotten_Words!! I didn't watch a lot of C-Dramas so my choices are going to be really basic. I picked those that I watched, but didn't see in your completed list. 

1. Lighter & Princess 

2.  When I Fly Towards You 

3. When We Were Young 

All of them are romance because I only have seen romance C-Dramas :c

I watch ANYTHING, but J-Dramas. They just never got me hooked so maybe the person after me could recommend me some. 

Or some K-Dramas that are hidden gems. 

21st Challenge | 22nd Challenge | 23rd Challenge | 24th Challenge | 25th Challenge:

Hi olily 

Here are some of my recommendations after looking through your lists. I specifically chose these titles because they may be up your alley.

1. Light on Me - BL; K drama; charming and fluffy show. It's about friendship as well. One of my favorites

2. A Tale of a Thousand Stars - BL; Thai Drama. I HIGHLY recommend this one. I would be up at 6:30am the days it released an episode with my friends. I was hooked. The cinematography this is great imo.

3. A Korean Odyssey - K drama. this is a classic drama and one I noticed you have not watched yet.

Up for any recommendations except horror and no longer than 24 episodes. You may recommend a C drama even if they are longer than 24 episodes but keep it mind that I tend to get very intimidated by them hence why I don't start them. 

Started:
Progress:

Rate: