gosh, I laughted a lot during the finale episode. What YJ does while his wife has contractions? He's calling to his mum!

and poor Jung Hoo, the only single in whole story... I was counting for writers but they didn't introduce any nice girl for him... 

scene with HJ and MR holding their husbands hair is similar into the finale scene in "All kinds of daughters in law" the one and onle daily drama (100+ ep!) I watched so far.

bohee:

gosh, I laughted a lot during the finale episode. What YJ does while his wife has contractions? He's calling to his mum!

and poor Jung Hoo, the only single in whole story... I was counting for writers but they didn't introduce any nice girl for him... 

scene with HJ and MR holding their husbands hair is similar into the finale scene in "All kinds of daughters in law" the one and onle daily drama (100+ ep!) I watched so far. 

They did the same hair-pulling in "Bravo My Life" a couple of days ago, which is running concurrently.  In fact, these shows have been sharing wardrobe for the women for the last couple months.  

bohee:

I was low key hoping that Yuna's bakery owner and Jung Hoo will have a story. You know how he always liked the cookies. It would have been a great story

Nandini:

I was low key hoping that Yuna's bakery owner and Jung Hoo will have a story. You know how he always liked the cookies. It would have been a great story

Absolutely.  They had a lot in common, she seemed to like him, they would have been a good match.  They really did him dirty, especially showing him still heartbroken and MiRae noticing this.  

Nandini:

Yes! It was a waste that nobody cared about this couple. We are better writers! :)

I'm sorry for the lateness of these reviews, but a family health emergency has distracted me for the last few weeks.  Given there isn't much difference in these three episodes, I combined 47-49 into one review:

Episodes 47, 48, 49 “Your body doesn’t belong to you anymore”

At this point in the series, the writers have decided to drop every pretense of being a story of “the three brothers marriage” and convert the story again to focus on MiRae’s mom.  This time, it’s not her adoption but the liver cancer that killed her mother nearly 50 years before.  This has been foreshadowed for us almost the entire series, as shown by Grandpa’s desire to find his daughter to tell her about the liver disease that her family carries.  So, from this point, up to half of the series finale we essentially get one long episode full of melodrama that focuses on the decorated actress PYJ.  Why they decided to change the show’s direction is anyone’s guess.  But for me, it really ruined what used to be a fun and light-hearted look at love and family relationships across generations. 

Anyhow, here we go:

After finally getting a thorough health screening, SooJung is diagnosed with liver cancer and needs a transplant to survive.  She initially is in denial, while her husband falls apart, but about 1/3 of the way thru Ep47 she realizes what is going on and breaks down. The news is kept secret (at first) with only Dad, Mom, Grandma and JungHoo knowing.  But MiRae eventually finds out, and the news spreads to the Lee family.  During the Lee’s family visit to the Hyun’s for dinner, Grandpa overhears the news and you guessed it:  more melodrama.  Her husband and son both find out they are poor candidates for liver donation, and this news is kept from Grandpa.  MiRae begins to realize something is off, when her mom and dad initially decline to help raise her child, to her shock (she runs off to her room, as she did before as a girl,when she was upset).  SooJung has portraits taken with her father, sneaks in a funeral portrait as well when he’s not looking and has coffee with MinHo, leaving cryptic references that something may be going on in the future. By that afternoon, MiRae finds out the truth and collapses at the end of Ep 47, which cuts short SooJung’s meeting with MinHo.  SooJung tries to comfort her emotional daughter, and to those criticizing Bae DaBin’s acting ability:  watch this scene and tell me how she could have done better?

HJ finds out that night about the news from MiRae and her dad when he drops her off at home.  The next day he offers to his father in law that he will be tested for donor compatibility and he tells MiRae that night.  SooJung plans to have her father and KA/MinHo over for dinner at their house, but before it happens, MinHo finds out the news from his brother in law. At the dinner that weekend, Grandma tries to ditch the meal to avoid the awkwardness but her son catches her in the act, and foils her attempt.  KA, MinHo and Grandpa arrive and after dinner, tour the house, with Grandpa & KA inadvertently overhearing MinHo and SooJung discussing the cancer.  Grief-stricken, they lie to him that they have both her husband and son ready to donate, to placate him.  But he figures out the lie when they keep stalling him on when the transplant will happen.  He finally suffers a seizure and faints at the end of Ep 48.

The melodrama continues in Ep 49, after Grandpa comes home from his brief stay at the ER and the 3 sons discuss getting tested for donor compatibility and HJ tells them not to bother, he’s already tested. News of this discussion sets off HaeJun who tells YJ in no uncertain terms that he is NOT to be a donor and she is not crazy about HJ being tested either, an feeling she shares with KA.  KA is really upset by his testing, putting MinHo in a spot.  HJ does find out from the doctor that he is indeed a match and it’s time to set up the operation.  He tells MiRae, who is conflicted about what to do, but HJ, ever stubborn, has already decided he’s doing it.  He then tells a shocked HaeJun who warns him about KA’s reaction (this was a really touching scene between the 2 long-time friends and partners).  As predicted, KA’s reaction is NOT GOOD.  She demands her husband call HJ home right NOW to talk to them.  (He’s at his in-laws’ and SooJung wont accept his liver, because of the risks involved, frustrating HJ [and the rest of her family].  All the parents understand this, but the younger generation (with the exception of HaeJun) don’t.)  KA is furious with his decision and points out how wrong it is by telling him that even SooJung won’t accept it.  HJ is getting blasted by both sides now (he hides his Mom’s fury from MiRae) and even his Dad is still on the fence.  Even Grandpa can’t bring himself to embrace it, appreciative as he is.  He tries to enlist HaeJun’s help to get her to bring KA around, but she asks how can she, when even she is against it?…but she does promise to comfort her.  At this point in the series, HaeJun has become the closest woman to KA, as inconceivable as this would seem given their initial history.  In the meantime, others in Hyun family are trying to convince SooJung to accept HJ’s liver.  MiRae, finding out about KA’s anger, tells HJ to not worry if her mom won’t accept, as she tries to find him a way out.  All this while SooJung’s health begins to deteriorate and HJ keeps pleading with her to accept his offer and with his mother to bless it too. 

YuNa’s world:

In the background of all this, the writers have finally decided to pay some attention to the last unmarried brother.  YuNa’s treatment for her foot is complete and she has both JungHoo and SooJae still orbiting her.  Although in Ep47, it’s pretty clear that SJ has the inside track and he stays for dinner at her place.  KA, seeing all this going on has finally decided that it’s time for her to clear the air with the young woman she liked so much (some guilt there too???).  She goes to YuNa’s apartment and meets her for tea, returning the outfit that she bought for her, that YuNa returned to SJ when they broke up.  Their reunion was really sweet and KA buries the hatchet to their mutual pleasure.  KA informs SJ about the meeting and he goes to meet with YuNa that night.  They both reflect on how they’ve changed and grown since they came up with the scam, and SJ reminds her his feelings for her haven’t changed.  He gets great news when his boss offers to open up a new branch location as long as SJ will manage it.  By the time Ep 49 begins, Junghoo is stressing out about the whole situation with his mom, and winds up at YuNa’s with SJ, which doesn’t last for long, when they get the news of Grandpa’s trip to the ER.  Later on, SJ takes YuNa to see her Mom, so she can pick up a thank you gift for HJ, for his legal help on her brother’s case.  On the bus ride home, YuNa realizes that she is still in love with SJ, and the role he plays in her life.  And by the time they finally get home, he confesses his love for her outside her apartment…and YuNa walks into her apartment alone, her mind reeling. 

The Dolts:

Our HaeJae couple winds up almost forgotten about and with all the melodrama happening, the humor they bring to the series seems oddly out of place.  But in the middle of a leg massage, she gives YJ a roundhouse kick to the right temple and he gets a black eye, which will be played for laughs for the balance of Ep47 including his feeble attempts to hide it and her denial that she’s a husband-beater.  She also gets into it with HJ when he questions why his mom should take care of Dolt Jr first and not their child.  The childish repartee between them is a flashback to how the series treated their characters in early episodes.  How will KA choose between her middle son and her eldest Daughter-in-Law, who she’s growing closer to every episode?  MiRae & HaeJun meet at her office for another of their sisterly meetings and HaeJun asks her to make sure her Mom will take care of her child, while KA has theirs.  But HJ is suspicious and wants to keep his parents as an option for their childcare needs.  So he gives his parents a gift certificate for a weekend stay at a fancy hotel.  HaeJun smells a rat and suspects HJ is up to something, even though YJ tells her to relax. KA let’s her eldest son know about HJ's gift certificate (bribe) and the bidding between the two sons is on to curry favor with their mom.  MinHo thinks his wife’s playing off each other to get the best offer is hilarious.  When HaeJun confronts HJ at the office about his bribe attempt, he shocks her with the news about his mother in law.  YJ, not knowing about this, brings his mom a cake and money to up their offer for child care.  KA comes clean and admits she always intended to raise their kid.  After YJ finds out, he and HaeJun agree they need to look into hiring someone for childcare as an alternate.  At a local café the couple has a cold drink before dinner, and he admonishes the baby to always obey and listen to his mom. 

Ep 49 ends this trilogy with no resolution in sight, and now SooJung is too weak to wake up the next morning, and will be rushed to the ER.  So we have spent 3 consecutive episodes, going nowhere with the series finale up next.  I’ll have more to say on this issue with the Episode 50 review. 

Ep 50 "I want to live as long as possible"

Well, after 24 weekends of faithfully viewing this series, we wind up at the finale.  However, things aren’t what they seem, because we still have yet to resolve the liver cancer melodrama before the series can tie up all its loose ends.  And unfortunately, this has been so poorly planned, that it will take over half of this episode to move beyond the melodrama and finally close out the various story-lines.  Contrast this with “Bravo My Life (2022)” a KBS daily series that aired concurrently with IBN.  That series used the last 3 episodes to give its viewers a structured end of the show, and spread the storyline closeouts over 60 minutes.  It gave its viewers an orderly and satisfying end to its 120-episode run.  IBN gives us a mish-mash of an end, where things are thrown together and story close-outs are glossed-over and come out of the blue with little logic (see Mr. Choi’s family story-line).  We also don’t get a look to the future to see JY & HJ’s kids being born, just a silly scene where both ladies go into labor simultaneously. 

I’ll have more to say at the end of this recap, so let’s get it over with:

The show opens with a weakened SooJung unable to get out of bed, and she’s rushed the hospital where her doctor tells the family her liver is beginning to shut down and time is of the essence for the transplant.  But HJ still can’t get his parents blessing (much less SooJung’s).  MiRae rushes to her parents’ house to comfort her grandmother who is on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  In the middle of this melodrama, the Dolts are home, having lunch in a seeming out of place scene before they head to his folks house, where HaeJun comforts KA and we continue to see the bonding between these 2 characters. 

With her husband, half-brother and son in law urging her, SooJung stands firm and still refuses to allow the transplant, despite her hospitalization.  Finally, KA relents and calls HJ while he and MiRae are dining at the Dolts and gives her blessing and tells him that she’ll convince SooJung too.  And she does in a scene that shows another side of KA we haven’t seen in one of the series most touching scenes between these 2 veteran actresses.  Once that’s settled the show tries to refocus on the other storylines: Mr Choi gets a bit part on the TV drama he’s been pining for; YuNa & SJ go to visit HJ at the hospital the day before the surgery and they run into KA, who is glad to see them all there (MiRae & JungHoo is also there and he’s NOT that glad to see them).  He tells MiRae that SJ & YuNa once dated, and she tells him, the past-tense doesn’t seem to apply – they still look like a couple.  Grandpa goes to visit SooJung at he hospital and sees HJ too, but he’s at a loss for words for his grandson’s sacrifice. 

In the midst of all this…YuNa and SJ talk out side the hospital, and she confesses her love for him too…and just like that, they are back together!  JungHoo realizes this too, and his relegation to the Friend Zone is permanent. 

The next day, the surgery happens with the families gathered at the hospital to see their loved ones (MiRae seems to have spent the night there with HJ). 

So, it takes 43 of the 72 minutes of this episode to deal with this (the transplant was successful, of course). 

Now, we have less than a half-hour to wrap up the loose ends and this happens at a break-neck speed, including a time-jump ahead of several months:  HaeJun and MiRae are both heavily pregnant, and HaeJun is on the eve of maternity leave, a prospect that leaves her unsettled (MiRae shuts down her business for the duration as well).  SJ has a cleaning job from JungHoo at what looks like Bong Foods HQ and they plan to have dinner later.  YJ’s stocks continue to stink/shrink/sink, but at least he’s realized that his wife will kill him if he takes any action, so instead he gives an ecstatic SoRa a raise as business is doing well at the clinic.  As his children plan an 80th birthday party Grandpa there is finally no drama in any of the families whatsoever.  Mr Choi and his family see the positive reviews for the TV show he’s on and that seems to be the wrap up for them.  YJ comes to pick up HaeJun for her last day at work, and the Dolts have to listen to HJ’s tales of his experiences from the surgery.  And YuNa, SJ and JungHoo have dinner out, and he’s again reminded of his status as the 3rd wheel.  The reality of having a son has begun to hit HaeJun who begins to wonder how she’s going to cope with having 2 dolts in the house, while HJ grapples with how he will raise a daughter.

The series ends at Grandpa’s 80th party at a venue selected by Jin Heon, with the entire cast in attendance.  However, just when his grandchildren are paying tribute (oddly, JungHoo was not included), both HaeJun and MiRae go into labor, creating the expected havoc and chaos. 

Bouquets and Bricks:

First off, a big shout out to Ms. Kim Hye Ok, who gave us a marvelous performance as Kyung Ae.  KA and HaeJun were the most interesting and compelling female characters in the show and she just chewed up every scene she was in.  One of the few things this show did right in this episode was to show how she was central to resolving the transplant surgery standoff.  She portrayed a character with PLENTY of issues of her own, who struggled to understand the men in her family, and her role in it.  She was just incredible. 

Let’s toss bricks to the writers for leaving JungHoo as the odd-man-out in his relationship with YuNa & SJ.  To top this off, this was pointed out deliberately in the last scene at Grandpa’s party.  YuNa’s boss, Syet Byul, seems like an obvious choice for him, and it’s hard to imagine YuNa not trying to set them up:  she’s the right age, presumably single, and they both work in the food industry.  She’s a self-made woman at this point, which should help her standings with his parents.  To leave him stag at the party, sitting next to YuNa was pretty mean-spirited. 

And I’ll go out on a limb here and toss a bouquet to Bae DaBin, for her portrayal of MiRae.  I’ve gone back and watched the series from the beginning, and she did a fine job as MiRae, as she had a lot of material to work with.  MiRae was an interesting, complex character (who DID dress well at the series beginning) who the writers abandoned once she became HJ’s girlfriend.  Her character was essentially ignored and she was simply a girlfriend…an accessory to HJ.  The writers did her no favors.

And finally, one last brick the writers AND producers:  We deserved better than this for a series finale.  This series was unique in its resistance to using time-jumps, except for the this episode – so why not give us one last time jump ahead to the babies being born so we can see the grandparents/great-grandparents playing with them, which is what the whole first 2 episodes were all about?  Of course, they couldn’t do this as there was no time left in the episode due to the poor execution and planning of the cancer storyline, which should have been resolved in the 49th episode.  That would have given us the full 72 minutes of this to include a few time-jumps ahead to see the future life of the families.  How dumb!

Final Conclusion

In retrospect, I think that once the story got around to marrying YJ & HaeJun, thus officially ending the moribund “marriage race”, the writers didn’t know what to do.  Part of the original premise of the show was now done.  The story line seemed to wander around and it felt like they were killing time by focusing on MiRae’s mom and her issues (adoption, cancer, etc).  MiRae’s mom was originally a foil for HJ’s affections for her daughter and this was kind of amusing as well in the early episodes.  But changing focus to her spoiled it for me, as the series transitioned from a study of how couples in different generations handled falling in love, to a more predictable TV melodrama.  If they could return to the original concept, I would gladly watch a sequel to this series, especially focusing on how two middle-age couples would handle child-raising when they all have established careers.  Are you listening KBS?