So I thought Su Ying WAS the bad guy so it's actually someone else?! I really wish they'd explained more of this at the beginning, cuz we saw her get the heart scale but we didn't see her get the Neidans...

Erin:

So I thought Su Ying WAS the bad guy so it's actually someone else?! I really wish they'd explained more of this at the beginning, cuz we saw her get the heart scale but we didn't see her get the Neidans...

The real Big Bad of the novel is Qing Guang, aka Su Ying and Ling Xiao's master, and also the head of Chen Xing Mountain.

It was actually a bizarre choice to open the story with Tian Yao and Su Ying's failed marriage. It tips too much information way too fast. Instead imo they should've opened with a monologue about the xian-demon war that happened before the story proper which would've established xian-demon tentions, maybe give a mention to Tian Yao disappearing (from the POV of the world), and then cut to Yan Hui.

That would have made sense I hope they provide more explanation but I don't know maybe they won't that's a C drama for you ?

@ Valley

hmm that's different to my reading of the novel...

"As for Ling Xiao (Yan Hui's master), he knew Yan Hui held the neidan and heart protection scale because he was the one who put them in her body to both save her life and prevent his master from getting them."

Heart protection scale inadvertently hits YH 10 years earlier when TY throws it out (i don't remember LX letter saying that LX put scale in YH), and he takes YH at the fight at the tree when she accidentally releases TY because of her extraordinary ability - TY's neidan already there (hence xian cultivation to hide demon aura).

And it's not spelled out, but she was always at risk of being noticed....which is why when kicking her out didn't work, and she ended up with TY anyway, he flayed her (to completely hide her from LX shifu). Let me know your thoughts. I've only read TL so nuance missing?

jaginsing:

@ Valley

hmm that's different to my reading of the novel...

"As for Ling Xiao (Yan Hui's master), he knew Yan Hui held the neidan and heart protection scale because he was the one who put them in her body to both save her life and prevent his master from getting them."

Heart protection scale inadvertently hits YH 10 years earlier when TY throws it out (i don't remember LX letter saying that LX put scale in YH), and he takes YH at the fight at the tree when she accidentally releases TY because of her extraordinary ability - TY's neidan already there (hence xian cultivation to hide demon aura).

And it's not spelled out, but she was always at risk of being noticed....which is why when kicking her out didn't work, and she ended up with TY anyway, he flayed her (to completely hide her from LX shifu). Let me know your thoughts. I've only read TL so nuance missing?

No, both scale and neidan were put into Yan Hui by Ling Xiao purposefully, since after Tian Yao desperately threw them away he was sent to retrieve both. Also both were needed to save baby Yan Hui's life, the scale sealed up the hole in her heart and the neidan supplemented her life, I checked the novel and this is from chapter 101.

While its never mentioned exactly why Ling Xiao banished her the first time, I have a theory that basically combines yours and mines ideas for why he did it: It's mentioned that Tian Yao's neidan was leaking demon aura but Ling Xiao taught Yan Hui xian techniques and constrained the demon aura himself to make it undetectable to Qing Guang. This worked for 10 years not just because of the deliberate masking of the demon aura but also because Qing Guang simply wasn't around Yan Hui a lot. As I said, using neidans for his cultivations forced him into a period of seclusion, but the novel mentions that the period between him needing to absorb neidans had shrunk to every 2 months, which would spike the danger Yan Hui would be in as a disciple of whats basically Qing Guang's headquarters, hence her banishment.

Also, what prompted the flaying was something VERY specific, not her merely having the neidan: Ling Xiao whipped her with the intent to break her cultivation base because Yan Hui was practicing demonic cultivation at that point, and that was stimulating the neidan and making it more detectable. She probably would've been fine and flown under the radar had she not started practicing demonic cultivation, but, alas.

Haven't seen any of this yet so did she start practicing demon cultivation before she left her sect because it didn't show that so it makes me interesting to see what direction they're going to go.

@Valley

You're correct - i've just remembered with that description about baby....he took pity on her...

yes and flaying - it was to break the cultivation base to stop her being noticeable (I should be more descriptive...but time...).

Erin:

Haven't seen any of this yet so did she start practicing demon cultivation before she left her sect because it didn't show that so it makes me interesting to see what direction they're going to go.

Yan Hui started demonic cultivation after she left her sect (with Tian Yao's urging).

Also I worded it a bit awkwardly, Ling Xiao whipped Yan Hui because she was practicing demon TECHNIQUES, she hadn't committed to demonic cultivation fully yet (the whipping and the death of Zi Chen was what facilitated her choice to want to learn demonic cultivation). Regardless, the demonic techniques were stimulating the neidan in her and making her more detectable to Qing Guang which would put her in greater danger.

^^ Yeah. The letter from FQS wasn't written out in the novel, but it was summarized in the  after she read it. LX was tasked to find the scale and neidan, which he did but he came across baby YH and saved her. Before that in the fight QG alluded to it but YH didn't really understand. LX died without really explaining it to her, and it was FQS' letter which had arrived earlier the day of the fight which YH read after getting back to her room. I *think* right before she read the letter she found out from snake demon that LX was trying to manage things from within and minimize damages with the shady stuff QG was doing.

I'm pretty sure it does say in novel why LX banished her the first time as well. It was because the power of the scale came through in her fight with LF when YH saved the foxes.  He realized that he could sense it and in a matter of time if her powers were activated around QG or SY were around they would sense it too, or even other higher sect leaders.

Flaying was also meant to be completed to the full sentence. And if it were finished, she may not have been able to cultivate either xian or demon. But because she was saved before it was completed, it actually ended up cleansing her of xian from her limbs and bones and she just had to take the final step of getting rid of it from her aura. And then she could start demon cultivation.

Neidan was also mentioned in the novel by this point, which hasn't been mentioned in the drama. Of course not the fact that the HPS and neidan are both in YH but the fact that neidan were being taken from all the foxes and demons. It *may* have been mentioned in the drama when TY shot the HPS out in the first episode because SY said something like scale and soul, or something like that.

Help please I tried to find the portion of the novel where it mentioned why Ling Xiao banished her the first time and I can't find it ?I'd have thought it was in the letter that was sent to Yan Hui bc Ling Xiao didn't explain shit up until then...

I'm pretty sure they cut the neidan plot from the drama. Like 99.9% sure because a lot of key events are missing from it in the sequences we've seen, they appear to have merged the neidan and the heart protection scale together functionally in the narrative but cut the neidan plot altogether.

jaginsing:

ありがとう, でも たくさん も 忘れました gambaruyo!

<3

Ah, こちらこそ?3~4年ぶりに使ってないので、私もずいぶん忘れっちゃった?一緒に頑張ろう???

valleyofthelost:

Help please I tried to find the portion of the novel where it mentioned why Ling Xiao banished her the first time and I can't find it ?I'd have thought it was in the letter that was sent to Yan Hui bc Ling Xiao didn't explain shit up until then...

I'm pretty sure they cut the neidan plot from the drama. Like 99.9% sure because a lot of key events are missing from it in the sequences we've seen, they appear to have merged the neidan and the heart protection scale together functionally in the narrative but cut the neidan plot altogether.

I looked through and I may have just taken this part and made it to fit her initial expulsion in my head as well. So yeah it was talking about the whipping. 

He whipped her 81 times because cultivating the demon pathway caused the demon neidan within her to recover. Dragon aura had started to seep out. Su Ying and Qing Guang would kill her when they saw that, and Ling Xiao feared he wouldn't be able to protect her.........

But I do think somewhere it had her realizing that her fight with LF activated her dragon scale and neidan's power/aura. Or maybe I am making things up in my head. 

Neidan. I think so too, that it is cut from the plot. In fact I think the spirit tokens may take place of neidan. Perhaps having the spirit tokens and killing the monsters, the big villain is able to collect whatever he needs. 

The fight with Ling Fei activating Tian Yao's body part in Yan Hui was the drama's version, I can't find mention of it in the novel.

I did a quick scan of the parts where it would make sense for Yan hui to have such a revelation if the neidan (and it would be the neidan because the actual scale is just a plug for the hole in her heart)  activating during her spat with Ling Fei was indeed the reason... couldn't find anything. Maybe that was the reason, maybe Ling Xiao sent her away to avoid the incoming war, maybe he wanted Yan Hui as far away from his power hungry master as possible, it doesn't say. The best potential evidence for the neidan being active in that scene is that Yan Hui made a fire dragon to attack Ling Fei but even then its A Piece.

Who is Bai Xiaosheng? What is his backstory? What is his motive? Will he be TIan Yao's enemy?

YESMISSA:

ok i see, so the scene in the trailer it's a new scene for create drama and maybe he will give back that  to her and later she will give back to him,  i don't think it's a dream, this scene is brutal

In the novel when this scene happens, they are truly in love , she is willing to die to give  him the scale because is the only chance for him winning the final battle, she dies ,but she reincarnated with all her memories intact and Tianyao and Yan Hui come back together and had a happy ending.