mbmclawhten:

It's on several websites.  Just google Joy of Life novel English.

I read it on this website...  https://novelfull.com/joy-of-life.html 

Thanks you. 

tsuyoi-hikari:

This is very interesting though. I guess the soften Fan Xian a lot in the drama version to make him more likable to the current audiences. Instead of making him a grey character, they opt to make him a full-out good guy.

I really wonder if they gonna keep the harem plot of the novel since I had the feelings they gonna cut it out since based on Season 1 alone, Fan Xian seemed to only love Wan'er alone and basically had no love interest to Si Lili, Duo Duo or the Baiqi Emperor. I'm really excited to see how the script gonna handle that part.

But I have a feeling that FX liked Si Lili but he suppressed his feeling because he loved Wan er and wanted to be faithfully to her. - in the drama-

Feby chan:

But I have a feeling that FX liked Si Lili but he suppressed his feeling because he loved Wan er and wanted to be faithfully to her. - in the drama-

In the drama, Fan Xian never show any interest in Lili other than she is under his responsibility. Usually, if the writer wanted to show us that there's something there, there will be long stare, longing, words of love or etc to show that they are interest between them but those are only done by Lili to Fan Xian. So no, I dont think Fan Xian liked Lili -- at least it is not portrayed in the drama yet. Zhang Ruoyun literally an expert in subtle expressions but Fan Xian didnt do anything when he is with Lili. So in my personal opinion, at least in S1, we have yet to see there's attraction from Fan Xian to Lili. 

tsuyoi-hikari:

In the book Lili will be one of his wives but in the drama, he never shown any interest in her other than she is under his responsibility. Usually, if the writer wanted to show us that there's something there, there will be long stare, longing, words of love or etc to show that they are interest between them but those are only done by Lili to Fan Xian. So no, I dont think Fan Xian liked Lili -- at least it is not portrayed in the drama yet. Zhang Ruoyun literally an expert in subtle expressions but Fan Xian didnt do anything when he is with Lili. So in my personal opinion, at least in S1, we have yet to see there's attraction from Fan Xian to Lili. 

If I remember correctly, in the book Si Lili was the wife of the Northern Qi emperor.  But, he fathered their children (as a favor to them).  A "threesome" situation was implied in the book.  All in the line of work, I guess.  ;)   

I skipped around a lot in the book because it was too long and I didn't have enough time to finish the whole thing.  But, that's how it seemed at the end.  I didn't read anywhere that it was explicitly said that Si Lili and the emperor were in a lesbian relationship.  It just came across that way.  He was obviously attracted to Si Lili, but I don't remember him ever being in a personal relationship with her (other than friendship) outside the permission of the little emperor.

He was married to Wan'er and his childhood maid, Sisi.  Wan'er and Sisi were very close friends, and Wan'er welcomed his marriage to Sisi.  

He and Dou Dou were also just close friends, and never married or even lovers.

I don't know how they will play all these complicated relationships on screen in season 2 or 3.  So far, they have stuck to Dou Dou drawing a clear line in their relationship, and Si Lili as being promised to another (off limits).  This is pretty much in line with the book. 

mbmclawhten:
If I remember correctly, in the book Si Lili was the wife of the Northern Qi emperor.  But, he fathered their children (as a favor to them).  A "threesome" situation was implied in the book.  All in the line of work, I guess.  ;)   

I actually didnt read the book since I dont want to spoil myself but I accidentally read a spoiler that its a harem and he got all the girls including the Emperor. ^^' It's obviously a false information lol

If thats the case, Wan'er will only be the love of his life in the drama and his only wife. I never thought the relationship is that complicated (esp Lili is married to Beiqi Emperor? I thought it will revealed later that she's a woman) so it's definitely wouldn't pass the censorship. At first I was interested to know how the writer going to include the harem plot in the drama but now I already found my answer. So it made sense how even in S1, Fan Xian only show interest in Wan'er and none to the other girls. Thanks!

tsuyoi-hikari:

I actually didnt read the book since I dont want to spoil myself but I accidentally read a spoiler that its a harem and he got all the girls including the Emperor. ^^' It's obviously a false information lol

If thats the case, Wan'er will only be the love of his life in the drama and his only wife. I never thought the relationship is that complicated (esp Lili is married to Beiqi Emperor? I thought it will revealed later that she's a woman) so it's definitely wouldn't pass the censorship. At first I was interested to know how the writer going to include the harem plot in the drama but now I already found my answer. So it made sense how even in S1, Fan Xian only show interest in Wan'er and none to the other girls. Thanks!

Did you notice that the part of the Northern Qi emperor was played by a woman in season 1?  I think they will stay true to the books, but maybe leave out the part where he "entertains" the emperor and Si Lili in their endeavors to have a child.  I also think they will show him married to Sisi, as well.  That part will certainly fly by censorship.  And they will probably not change the friendship aspect to Dou Dou, even though there is a lot of talk about marrying her off to him.  But, we will just have to wait and see.  

mbmclawhten:
Did you notice that the part of the Northern Qi emperor was played by a woman in season 1?

Of course I did since its so obvious haha. But I dont think China censorship will allow for them to show Lili is married to the Emperor based on past censorship history in other dramas (even in Arsenal Military Academy, they cut the kissing scene between the FL & ML). About Sisi, she is obviously was cut from the drama since she is nowhere to be found in S1 -- not even during his time in Danzhou. So I dont think she will magically appear in S2 or S3, but she could if she has an integral part in the plot. With Dou Dou it is also so obvious -- since both him and Dou Dou never show any romantic interest with each other in the drama so they will definitely follow the book. Their relationship is only a running jokes by Wang Qinian which annoy Fan Xian greatly.

The whole part about Li Sisi entering the temple as a disciple was about getting her legitimized so she could enter the palace.  She can't enter just yet because her current status is a prostitute.  They have already shown quite a bit of this in season 1.  I think she is Dou Dou's disciple at the moment.  So it could go either way in season 2 or 3.  There is so much material in the book, and a lot has to be rewritten anyway.  They can easily write her out or keep her in.  

mbmclawhten:
They have already shown quite a bit of this in season 1.

Yes you are right! I never think deeply about this tbh since I just thought she's gonna enter the palace and thats the procedure. But it made me wonder why the production team keep the Baiqi Emperor as a woman knowing their censorship is the most strict in the whole world. If even Man & Women (soul as a guy/cosplay as a guy) relationship was cut from their final product, so woman & woman relationship surely wouldnt pass it even more. But I'm interested to see how they will write it in S2. Esp the ending where the show Yin Bingyun stabbed Fan Xian since Yin Bingyun supposed to be his ally in the book. So I'm pretty sure its Fan Xian's plan all along to fool the 2nd prince.

I agree!  Yin Bingyun is his ally in the book.  So this is most definitely one of Fan Xian's plans.  He probably took one of his pills to fake his death.  

Well, I don't think writers could make it into harem.

This would be one of major differences. ;)

in the novel does Fan Xian go into the room under the pond that his mother mentions in the letter to him? if so what chapter.

After  the cliff hanger ending of season 1 , I was left unsatisfied with the show . hence i searched for the book and started to read.

A lot of what's shown in season 1 is different in terms of characters,  My most beloved character is 'Uncle' Wu Zhu . He has more introduction in the novel which i liked a lot.

Spoilers Ahead

Fan Xian character is ruthless. Maybe because his Grandmother tells him not be soft, merciful to his enemies.  Since his mother  Ye Qingmei  was benevolent person, she was murdered by those she thought were not worth to be her enemy also because she had blind master protecting her.

Ye Qingmei Relationships

Chen Ping Ping/ Director Chen:  Worked in  Overwatch Department  which was established by Ye Qingmei . it's main aim was  to watch the emperor and guide him to rule better not become a dictator.(Emperor didn't like this one bit)

Sadly after her death the council became emperor's sword to kill people he didn't like.

Chen Ping Ping and many of the workers who were there since time of Ye Qingmei weren't happy with the emperor because of the direction the council was headed.

Additionally , Chen Ping Ping secretly thinks  that  the  Emperor killed  Ye Qingmei.

Fan Jian:    Ye Qingmei and  Fan Jain treated each other siblings and close friends.

Due to which Fan Jain 1st wife , ie Ruoruo's mother sacrificed  her son to save Fan Xian , when Ye Qingmei was killed.  She exchanged real son of Fan Jian with Fan Xian.  that baby was killed.  uncle Wu Zhu took newly born baby  the Fan Xian and Chest (Gun ) and escaped.

Qing Emperor:  Partner to Ye Qingmei. Real father to Fan Xian.  Mastermind who murdered Ye Qingmei because her ideas didn't match his in unification of the world.

Emperor thought he will unify the world with his sword.  for the military and war he needed Ye Qingmei's  Treasury money.

Ye Qingmei thought unification can be done without war and killing innocent lives.

TEMPLE:  From this temple 4 year old Ye Qingmei escaped with  Wu zhu and Chest(Gun).  Temple also wanted Ye Qingmei to be dead, since she was going against the temple and changing the pace of civilization evolution.

Ye Qingmei also killed the two Princes (siblings of Current Emperor's Father) to  put current Emperor's Father on the throne ,,which the now current emperor has inherited as the first born son.

Temple and Emperor planned the murder of  Ye Qingmei.  Queen Dowager , Empress and Military offical by  name Qin killed all of Ye Qingmei's people saying she had raised a rebellion when Emperor was out of captical waging war against Hu people in grasslands.  But it was Emperor's plan.  He hid it form  Fan Jain, Chenping,and Wu zhu.

Wu zhu lost some of his memory in this fight,so he doesn't remember . If he could remember then the emperor wouls have been long dead.

Fan Xain:   

He will have 3 childrens.  

A son from Wan'er

A daughter each from Sisi (Fan Xian servant  later concubine ) and Northern Qi Emperor(  the emporer is a women , but pretends to be man for the sake of the throne.  

Interestingly  on his visit to Northern Qi for Yan bingyan , This little emperor drugs and takes advantage of Fan Xian , its not shown in season 1, also he thinks he was with sili but it was the little emperor.    they have daughter later when he confronts her about it and they have 1 nightstand , after  this Fan xain feels little bit towards Wan'er)

Crown Prince , Second Prince and Eldest Princess die when they raise a rebellion trying to kill Emperor. But the emperor's playing with them .  Eldest Princess colludes with Grandmasters Ku he and Sigu Jain to kill Qing Emperor.  

Qing Emperor is also a Grandmaster but he hides it from everyone. He kidnaps Fan Xain so Wu zhu will also come  with him to Dong Mountain where the assignation plan is set.

Fan Xain tells Wu zhu to protect the emperor, so  Grandmasters Ku he and Sigu Jain are injured gravely and die later , setting up things after death to destroy Qing emperor through Fan Xain.

ELdest Princess commits suicide when she learns that Emperor survived the assignation.

Emperor himself grants death to crown Prince, but Second Prince commits suicide because he failed to get the Throne.

Now ,Third Prince (10 yrs old),

Great Prince (Military General not interested in Throne, son of Ning the Talented , slave form Dongyi, she was in love with Chen ping, but the  Emperor took her as consort  breaking both their hearts)

and Fan Xain  are left. So Third Prince is selected as Crown Prince. Even for a child of 10 yrs this prince is most calculative and can stand toe to toe to Fan xain in terms of ruthlessness.

Fan Xain becomes more dark because he wants to protect his ppl like Fan family, council members from emperor.

Emperor ,due to his Suspicions and Chen ping confesses that he provided the reason for the Emperor to kill his family, but ultimately it was the Emperor who made the decision to kill them.

Emperor feels betrayed by his loyal companion of many years. Chen ping tells him that he also feels this betrayal for his involvement in Ye Qingmei's murder.   so he asks the question "Why did you kill her"

Emperor : "why should i answer a ehunch?  A servant dares to question me?

Much Later in the story  Fan Xain also asks him" Why did you kill her?"

Emperor:  " I won't have to answer any question from an youngster like "

So He won't answer anyone why did so. But to her Painting he keeps talking like trying convince himself that he was right to kill her. Emperor made the correct decision for the Qing kingdom

Emperor kills Chen ping a death by thousand cuts,  Fan Xain at that time was away from capital in Dongyi. On hearing the news he rides the horse back to capital 4 days and nights still he his late. emperor humilates Chen ping by disrobing him to show the world that he is a ehunch , a servant.

Fan Xain reaches the execution stage , cover Chen ping body with his clothes takes him away after his death, hides the body.

A scholar He Zhongwei, is cunning , manipulative official is used by Emporer to bring down Fan Xian. All powers Fan Xain had were removed, his followers and Council is heavily purged. 

Yan bingyan is given the position Commissioner of Council replacing Fan Xain. Yan Bingyan is a straight character , loyal to Throne and Qing kingdom. but he follows Chen ping order to save the council workers life following Emperor's decision to kill most chen ping loyal followers

After Emporer kills lots of Fan Xian's followers.   Sixth bureau assassins and Fan Xain in half a day kill  many of the Emperor ' s favorite officials and Fan Xain and Emperor fight face to face

In this fight all the ninth level swords from Dongyi Sword hut,  Nothern Qi  ku he 's disciples all fight against Emperor , but lose very  badly as Emperor is a grandmaster.

At this time , Fan xain and his friends are cornered and shot at with arrows, Ruoruo trained by uncle Wu zhu (unbeknownst to Fan Xain) shoots the emperor with the Gun, she misses but Emperor is also wearing breast plate of military.  hence she shoots many people giving time for Fan Xain to escape.

At this time Wu Zhu has returned to Temple,  lost his memory of  Ye Qingmei and Fan Xain.  so after escaping from capital Fan xain , Haiting and 13th wang go to Temple. 

Temple is nothing but a museum form current time, wu zhu kind of Robot but at some point has developed feelings.

After Fan xain struggles to help Wu zhu remember lot things , since his memory is wiped clean wu zhu first tries to kill Fan Xain but his heart is not cooperating.  He listens to Fan xain comes back to capital. he is now a silent child following Fan xain footsteps.

Wu zhu once goes near Royal Palace,  he remembers the pain and his burning need to kill the Emperor before his memory was wiped clean. 

He marches into Royal Palace  killing  few hundreds of soldiers ,by the time he reaches the Emperor , he is in bad shape, his leg broken , bleeding. still fights with Emperor.  stabs him . also gets severely injured by Emperor.  Emperor removes his blindfold wanting to  hurt Fan xain who is kneeling in front of Wu zhu, fire break out from Wu zhu's eyes envolping the palace. 

Fan xain rescues Wu zhu, but emperor body is not found in fire.   Third prince ascends the throne.

Fan Xain and his family leave capital but are in Qing  kingdom only.  He is biggest merchant after sometime.

Also while he was working as Qing Envoy,  Fan Xain had built a duplicate of  Palace Treasury  in Ten Family Village which is  located towards Dongyi and Northern Qi border away from Qing.  This is still starting to produce the wares, but already , The Emperor 3rd Prince and Qing court wants it.   Fan Xain tell them it only belongs to him. 

3rd prince trusted aide from Ye linger family, Ye Wan(her brother) , tells the emperor to kill Fan Xain and take what belongs to Qing back.

Fan Xain and Wan'er talk about how the 3rd Prince is like all Li Family greedy, Cunning . Fan Xain prepares to fight the Emperor whom he only on the Throne.

Frankly , instead of fighting with all Qing Emperors, Fan Xain should have taken the throne himself , then he could do the unification without war and lots of bloodshed could be stopped.

I have written too much but was immersed in 746 chapters of this novel . but i wasn't satisfied with novel ending Fan Xain is preparing to fight again, Previous Emperor didn't involve the Fan Family in his fight with Fan Xain. but 3rd Prince is not so surplus.

Fan Xain in his previous  life life was bedridden and read lots of books while in hospital. in this life he wanted to experience all things he had read but what he achieved after killing his father i couldn't understand , because he was fighting to stop the war from happening, but once 3rd prince took over he also wanted to  go to war, only the treasury money was  little limited.

@mbmclawhten  Do you know a site for this novel in chinese where i can download it as txt or pdf?

Cicada:

@mbmclawhten  Do you know a site for this novel in chinese where i can download it as txt or pdf?

I read it online.  I don't believe it is available for download, at least not legally.

This is the site that was posted earlier...  https://novelfull.com/joy-of-life.html

Here are some more links, at least one has a reader app...

https://www.webnovel.com/book/joy-of-life_7961226605002505

https://www.webnovelpub.com/novel/joy-of-life-05121944

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/joy-of-life/

Those are the top hits from my Google search.  There are more out there.  

Sorry I couldn't be more help.