plor20:

Liddi, you and I share the same sentiments for Yiying. If Hou had not pretended to be Jing, she and Jing would've married and the story would have ended differently for her. 

I agree. I often wondered whether part of the reason Hou made the decision to ambush him before the wedding was because he wanted Yi Ying himself. But if they never met, Yi Ying should have married Jing without any obstacles, and they could have been a happy couple. If Hou had laid hands on Jing after that, with Yi Ying's temperament, she would never have stopped until she recovered Jing and avenged him. 

By the same token, I do not believe Jing would not have felt the kind of hopeless attachment to Xiao Liu even if he had somehow been saved by her, because he need not have tried to recover his self-worth through Xiao Liu - Yi Ying would have stayed by him through thick and thin since she would have already loved him by then.

windiaaa041293:
In the book, when Tu Shanjing proposed to Xiaoyao, it was clearly written that before being framed by Tu Shanhou, the wife his mother chose for him was the one he had longed for.

That is not quite correct. It wasn't what he longed for. Rather he said that every young man would envisioned what his future wife would be like, and he was no different. So when his mother asked about his preferences, he told her his requirements, which she then said was easy enough to fulfil since young ladies of noble birth would already have been trained for it. The only challenging part was whether his wife would truly love him. So yes, Yi Ying met his requirements for a future wife, and if fate had not intervened otherwise, I would have imagined they could have made a success of their marriage.

@Liddi, sorry to bother you again, can you translate it? I tried translating with Google Lens but it doesn't seem right

From what I remember, the words were said by the director to the actors:

你知道小夭现在想亲你都是出于怜惜。
她觉得你怎么这么自卑。
她在鼓励你的这种感情。
You know that right now Xiao Yao wants to kiss you purely out of pity.
She is thinking why you have such low self-esteem.
She is trying to encourage you - this kind of feeling.

Based on the director's interpretation, then the bugs retaliating in Xiang Liu at the same scene was not because Xiao Yao stopped loving him or loved someone else, but because he was heartbroken to see them together.

windiaaa041293:

@Liddi, sorry to bother you again, can you translate it? I tried translating with Google Lens but it doesn't seem right

liddi:

From what I remember, the words were said by the director to the actors:

你知道小夭现在想亲你都是出于怜惜。
她觉得你怎么这么自卑。
她在鼓励你的这种感情。
You know that right now Xiao Yao wants to kiss you purely out of pity.
She is thinking why you have such low self-esteem.
She is trying to encourage you - this kind of feeling.

Based on the director's interpretation, then the bugs retaliating in Xiang Liu at the same scene was not because Xiao Yao stopped loving him or loved someone else, but because he was heartbroken to see them together.

Thank you liddi, I really like it.^^

Liddi,Do you know more details about the story of Mrs Wu Xuanshuang and Liyi.

"the story of Mrs Wu Xuanshuang and Liyi." 

Is that a novel or a drama? Curious to know more too. 

windiaaa041293:
Liddi,Do you know more details about the story of Mrs Wu Xuanshuang and Liyi.

blabla100:
Is that a novel or a drama? Curious to know more too. 

They are characters from the novel 女帝奇英传 Legend of the Empress and the Heroes by 梁羽生 Liang Yusheng. I never read the novel, but this is what I gathered from this Sohu article:

This story takes place during the Zhou dynasty under the rule of the Empress Wu Zetian, who was the empress consort and empress dowager of the previous Tang dynasty, before seizing the throne and crowning herself as empress.

Li Yi was the royal grandson of the previous dynasty who aimed to become the leader of the alliance in the pugilistic world that would bond together to overthrow the Empress Wu and reclaim the throne for the Li family. Three women loved him deeply, including Wu Xuanshuang, Empress Wu's niece. At first Li Yi had no special feelings for her because she was the niece of his enemy, but she repeatedly saved his life, comforted him, sacrificed herself time and time again for him, hoping he would stay which he never did because he could not let go of his hatred for her aunt. Ultimately he parted from her. Eight years later, she sacrificed herself again to save him and his wife from danger. Despite him already having a son, she continued to wait and yearn for him, and the knowledge that he was married with a son broke her heart because of her love, yet she bore no jealousy or resentment.

Of the three women who loved him, Shangguan Wan'er, loved him her whole life but ended up marrying the next emperor whom she did not love. Changsun Bi, became Li Yi's wife and ultimately died in his arms, fulfilling her wish without regret. Wu Xuanshuang fell in love with Li Yi at first sight, was deeply devoted to him, enduring her own heartache to save Changsun Bi, and enduring her own bitterness to help Wan'er and Li Yi be together. She alone did not put herself first. She loved him, protected him time and again, and sacrificed for him repeatedly.  In the end, after he died from being poisoned by Empress Wu's daughter, Princesss Taiping, Wu Xuanshuang chose not to marry, but left with Li Yi's orphan son.

• Wu Xuanshuang also had two opportunities. If she had boldly pursued love instead of being magnanimous, Li Yi might have lived in seclusion with her outside the Great Wall and not died in the palace.
  • Li Yi's death finally broke Wu Xuanshuang's heart and understood the danger in the palace
  • Many people doubted and were confused that Wu Xuanshuang fell in love with Li Yi. The love between Li Yi and Wu Xuanshuang is actually written very well and delicately. Most people actually felt sad that Wu Xuanshuang did not receive love and dedication, especially when there was the affectionate Uncle Pei beside her. But love is not just about conditions and dedication, but more importantly, whether there is something attractive about the other person. Pei Shudu is basically Tai's eldest son with excellent martial arts skills and deep affection, but he lacks the inner charm and resonance compared to Li Yi.
  • Even though the two people are farther apart on the surface, they are actually closer in their hearts. When Li Yi died, they actually achieved the same goal through different paths. In the end, Wu Xuanshuang and Li Yi understood the darkness of the palace and embarked on the same path of retirement as Li Yi.
  • Li Yi's so-called hesitation in love actually stems from his excessive adherence to principles, just like his career.

Oh this is definetely my cup of tea, too bad it has no english translation. Reading these plots, I realise that TH's works are not that unique, she stands out mostly because she is if very good at building male characters and definetely knows very well what women look for in men.

blabla100:

Oh this is definetely my cup of tea, too bad it has no english translation. Reading these plots, I realise that TH's works are not that unique, she stands out mostly because she is if very good at building male characters and definetely knows very well what women look for in men.

JIng is what women look for in men? Hmm! I don't know if TH's taste is similar to mine if that's the case.

HeadInTheClouds:

JIng is what women look for in men? Hmm! I don't know if TH's taste is similar to mine if that's the case. 

I was not thinking of Jing, just generally speaking. The Meng men, 4th prince and eight prince, XL and Jing, they all have their fans among readers. She is very good at making  women fall in love with her male characters. 

blabla100:

I was not thinking of Jing, just generally speaking. The Meng men, 4th prince and eight prince, XL and Jing, they all have their fans among readers. She is very good at making  women fall in love with her male characters. 

Heh! I forgot the smiley face to mark my comment as sarcasm  :-)

HeadInTheClouds:

Heh! I forgot the smiley face to mark my comment as sarcasm  :-)

Oh got it, lol. 

I think windiaaa posted a while ago an article about the meaning behind the fish playing with lotus that XY made for XL, does anyone has it? 

blabla100:

That's what I thought too, but 32 days back is exactly a full moon night. 32 days is 2 days pass XY and Jing s wedding night, take 30 days out of it and it fits a full moon. 

I'm not sure I understand. I thought XY was telling her story about Jing one night after the full moon/wedding night, not two nights after. Can you point me to the text that indicates she's telling her story 2 nights after?

solarlunareclipse:

I'm not sure I understand. I thought XY was telling her story about Jing one night after the full moon/wedding night, not two nights after. Can you point me to the text that indicates she's telling her story 2 nights after?

I am not sure I understand much anymore either, lol.  So she said her vows to the moon the night she was supposed to get married to Jing. The full moon night. 30 nights since she last saw Jing. The same night she got the message to go to the east sea, where she arrived the second day. She met XL and spent the night togheter, so that adds up to 31 nights. The day after they got on the boat, where she sang her song while looking at the moon and it was then when she said about how she haven't seen Jing for 32 days. The timeline adds up, unless I am missing something.