plor20:
27 minutes ago
 blabla100:
Re-reading chapter 51 and there is that scene where AhNian went with the grand emperor to have a few drinks at the thousand year old bar, which made XY think that his dad is planning to reminiscence his past to her. Right after, XY took Jing to a restaurant and ordered a few xuanyuan dishes, while quietly eating. Is xuanyuan the place where she used to play with FFB? Anyway, that also made me remember of that scene with XY and grand emperor where he was drinking some not that great wine and XY thought that he is not actually drinking because of its taste, but because he misses the times that that wine reminds him of. I got even sadder for XY, now she has jing to rely on, yet she still misses FFB / XL, the same way Grand emperor spends his days missing and thinking of the past.

As I recalled from this chapter or maybe another one, I think XY thought to herself about the times she used to play with FFB while she was out with CX and Jing, trying to impress them with a her knowledge of good places to eat. 

@plor20,

The event that you recalled when XY thought to herself about the time she used to play and discovered places in Central Plains with FFB was in chapter 35. It was first fullmoon festival and XY took Jing and CX to Zjiyi and she showed them the BBQ restaurant which FFB had taken her. Both CX and Jing understood it. 

@Blabla100

I believe that the restaurant in chapter 51 that XY took Jing in Xuanyuan was also the place that FFB used to take her to during their time in XuanYuan. 

About the wine shop that White emperor frequently went to in Yuan Xuan, it served the wine with the taste of thounsands year back when Shao Hao met Qing Yang. Qing Yang was his only friend and he cherished him most in his life. (Once Prommised) 

@plor20

Yes, but I was referring to what XY thought of in chapter 41 in regards to Grand emperor's life change and the course of events from chapter 51. 

Chapter 41

"Xiao Yao sat on a stump and stared at this completely foreign White Emperor. Was he the same White Emperor who never smiled on Five Gods Mountain and even one cutting look could frighten an entire court of officials?

Jing finished cutting firewood and sat down beside Xiao Yao. She murmured “How did he become a completely different person? If Ju Mang and Ru So saw him now they would die from shock!”

Jing said “Perhaps he is back to being who he really was, the White Emperor that your Eldest Uncle Qing Yang met was probably just like this.”

“Perhaps!” There was plenty of good wine on Xuan Yuan Mountain but he wanted to drink cheap wine, it couldn’t be the taste but likely the memories he was seeking. Was that shop really over a thousand years old, and could he have drank there with her Eldest Uncle? "

Chapter 51

When Xiao Yao and Jing arrived at the blacksmith shop, neither the Grand Emperor nor Ah Nian was there. Miao Pu said the Grand Emperor took Ah Nian to that thousand year old rundown bar to drink. Xiao Yao chuckled “Looks like Dad is planning to tell Ah Nian all about his past exploits. Let’s not go interrupt them.”

The two strolled around the streets before Xiao Yao took Jing to a restaurant and ordered a few Xuan Yuan classic cuisine dishes.

Xiao Yao was quietly eating when seven or eight soldiers walked in and the leader gleefully yelled out “Shopkeeper, bring the best dishes and wine! Today I’m treating, anyone here is invited! Waiter, give every table wine to celebrate the Xuan Yuan Army’s great victory today!”

blabla100:
Curious if anyone beside me ties XY's poisons to XL to her remark about how only if someone views life with her, the view has meaning.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate?

blabla100:
Also, does her "dream" perfume hints to Shakespear's play, a midsummer night's dream? I haven't read this particular play, I am more into his tragedies, but checking the synopsys, I find quite a few things similar to what happened in chapter 32. XY running away with XL, XL's questions, the spell he put on her afterwards, her reply about how everything is not going to be ok. Is TH into shakespeare?

Hmm. I've never tied it to Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. How do you see it tied in and what TH might want to say if there is parallel. TH is well-read, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was familiar with Shakespeare. 

I see the Dream perfume as tied in with the whole, he's not suitable to walk into a girl's dream things. Afterwards, she gave the perfume to Mao Pui who represented her and Mao Piu/Left Ear's relationship represented what she longed for with XL.

@H19279

Thanks for the info, I was quite curious to know more about who the person that grand emperor misses and who obviously made him happy in the past is. I can see XY doing the same in the future, smiling while remember her trips she had with XL in the ocean, despite missing him. What happened between them, if you can tell me a bit more.. 

@HeadInTheClouds

I might be totally mistaken here, but I believe the dream perfume was described as a midsummer night dream? I will re check when I find the chapter, altought I am not sure if it sounds the same in chinese.  It's one of shakespeare's most well known play, so if that's the case, I don't believe it's unintentional. 

Chapter 32 is very similar to a few things that happened in shakespeare's play too. I have only read the synopsys, but I might read the play too. The play ends with "everything will be ok in the morning, after you all wake up" , very similar to what XL tells XY, altought her answer is "everything is not going to be ok even after waking up". Also the girl that ran away with her lover because she was about to enter an arranged wedding, the love spell, a lot of things are similar actually. 

H19279:
In that event, the moon was describled as a bright round moon- 一轮明月 or  round moon - 轮月

Surprised! Surprised!

This event can happen on a full moon day or maybe around the full moon day

liddi:
I would disagree that 一轮 does not infer the shape of the moon. Just as @plor20 mentioned, if it were a crescent moon, there would be no use of the word 一轮 to describe it. As such, 一轮 implies that it is round. What I do agree with you is that a round moon does not necessarily mean a true full moon. So if we were to be pedantic, then yes, it can be described as the round bright moon, as opposed to the bright full moon. 

Thank you for your verification.

As I mentioned repeatedly in my previous posts, 一轮 will always infer that the moon is round. A crescent moon or any other moon will not be described with "轮“ - I have also verified this with others who are even more fluent in Chinese than I am.

And as I agreed with @solarlunareclipse in the above post, a round moon may not necessarily mean a true full moon. However, it still means that the moon on that night is round.

As such, 一轮明月 (Vol 1 Ch4, when Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu gazed at the moon together), and 一轮皓月 (Vol 1 Ch18 / Chapter 51, when Xiao Yao gazed at the moon the night she found out about his death) implies that the moon on both nights were round. This is also the reason why she was immediately reminded of the moon they gazed together at Qingshui town.

没有多久,一轮明月,缓缓从海面升起,清辉倾泻而下,小六被天地瑰丽震撼,心上的硬壳都柔软了。

在海浪声中,相柳的声音传来:“只要天地间还有这样的景色,生命就很可贵。” 

小六喃喃嘟:“再稀罕的景色看多了也腻,除非有人陪我一块儿看才有意思。景永远是死的,只有人才会赋予景意义。” 

Not long after that, a bright round moon slowly rose from the surface of the ocean, clear, bright moonlight shining down. Stunned by the breathtaking sight, the hard shell around Xiao Liu’s heart softened.

Amidst the sound of the waves, Xiang Liu’s voice could be heard. “As long as such sights still exist in the world, life is very precious.”

Xiao Liu murmured, “No matter how rare a scenery is, one will get tired of it if seen too often. It is only meaningful if someone was with me to see it. Sceneries are dead, only people can give the scenery meaning.”

-- Vol 1 Ch4

她悄悄起身,看璟依旧安稳地睡着,放下心来。她披上衣服,走出了寝殿,坐在玉阶前。

宫墙外,一轮皓月,冷冷清清。

小夭想起了清水镇的月亮,相柳死时,天上的月亮可也是这样静静地照拂着他?他可有想起他们曾一起看过的月亮?

She got up quietly, and was relieved to see Jing still sleeping peacefully. Putting on her robes, she walked out of the bedroom and sat in front of the jade steps.

Outside the palace walls, a bright round moon hung in the sky, cold and desolate.

Xiao Yao thought of the moon in Qingshui Town. When Xiang Liu died, was the moon in the sky also shining silently down on him like this? Did he think of the moon that they once looked at together?

-- Vol 3 Ch18  (Chapter 51)

blabla100:

Re-reading chapter 51 and there is that scene where AhNian went with the grand emperor to have a few drinks at the thousand year old bar, which made XY think that his dad is planning to reminiscence his past to her. Right after, XY took Jing to a restaurant and ordered a few xuanyuan dishes, while quietly eating. Is xuanyuan the place where she used to play with FFB? Anyway, that also made me remember of that scene with XY and grand emperor where he was drinking some not that great wine and XY thought that he is not actually drinking because of its taste, but because he misses the times that that wine reminds him of. I got even sadder for XY, now she has jing to rely on, yet she still misses FFB / XL, the same way Grand emperor spends his days missing and thinking of the past. 

That is a very interesting observation - thank you for pointing it out!

Yes, Fangfeng Bei and Xiao Yao spent those two years in Xuan Yuan City, visiting shops, dancing halls, eating places and gambling dens. 

While the White Emperor's memories at the rundown wine shop were tied to Qing Yang, this certainly is similar to how Xiao Yao brought Cang Xuan and Jing to try the grilled meat at the place Fangfeng Bei brought her before. She and Jing ate Xuan Yuan dishes at a restaurant she brought Jing, which meant that she had been there before. And the person with whom she mostly likely have gone with in the past, was the person who knew and introduced her to the best eating places (among other places) in the whole of Xuan Yuan city.

blabla100:

@H19279

Thanks for the info, I was quite curious to know more about who the person that grand emperor misses and who obviously made him happy in the past is. I can see XY doing the same in the future, smiling while remember her trips she had with XL in the ocean, despite missing him. What happened between them, if you can tell me a bit more.. 

Shaohao met Qing Yang the first time the the Far North in a wine shop. None of them knew the identity of each other. Shaohao was very famous for his blacksmith skill and Qing Yang had a broken sword. Shao Hao was the eldest son of the previous White Emperor but his mom died young when he was born (?). Later his father has favorite concubine who gave birth to a few princes who later competed with Shaohao for crown prince. Shaohao fell out of favor and he travelled to the Far North. SH and QY became friend and later became soulmate. They have more or less similar family conditions, they were both elite and strongest deity. They helped each other to survise the royal fight and they wanted to be the king of their own kingdom (in case of QY, he first did not have political ambition, he was only active in politics after his younger brother died, he needed to protect his mom and his siblings). They were also the biggest competitor of each other. QY protected SH and vice versa. In SH's view YQ was the only one who regarded and treated for whom he was, not because of his power or title. YQ arranged the engagement between SH and Ah Heng to protect his mother's status as well as Shao hao's position in Haoling's palace. Shaohao also felt guilty that he was the indirect cause for QY's death. When QY died , he realized how precious QY was to him, how good he was. Shao hao thought that QY was ruthless as him (he poisoned his father for the throne) but he was wrong. QY had never changed and still the nice guy that he had met in the wine shop in the Far North

blabla100:
Thanks a lot for the moon analysys!!! I will definetely check everything out, the symbolism part of the story was always something that interested me a lot.  I never get bored of looking for clues and meanings, lol. 
 H19279:
It's hard work to search for all the events with the moon in the book. Thank you for your summary of those moments.

You're welcome, hope it's useful! Thanks for reviewing the post, H19279.

H19279:
This event was not the one that XL took XY to see the moon on the ocean. The excerpt corresponds to WXL's appointment with XL after the night when injured XL came to his room for healing and he drew charcoal on XL's face.

I reread the text and you're right that it doesn't correspond to the moon on the ocean. It actually corresponds to when Xiao Liu uses Chuang Zi's marriage as an excuse to come see Xiang Liu after several months of not seeing him. Xiang Liu kicks Xiao Liu out of the tree during this encounter. I'll need to edit this in the original post.

H19279:
And I just found out that the event that all of us (by default) thought that it was full moon when XL took WXL to the ocean to watch the moon doesn't specify the as FULL MOON in the Chinese text.  This event happen in the last part of chapter 4, on Chuanzi's wedding day.

Good catch, I'll have to add this event as likely or possibly happened during the full moon.

liddi:
As I mentioned repeatedly in my previous posts, 一轮 will always infer that the moon is round. A crescent moon or any other moon will not be described with "轮“ - I have also verified this with others who are even more fluent in Chinese than I am.

Thanks for verifying liddi! I think we're all in agreement that using "轮" in the context of the moon gives a connotation of round. I'll search the text and add those references to the post. 

liddi:
As such, 一轮明月 (Vol 1 Ch4, when Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu gazed at the moon together), and 一轮皓月 (Vol 1 Ch18 / Chapter 51, when Xiao Yao gazed at the moon the night she found out about his death) implies that the moon on both nights were round. This is also the reason why she was immediately reminded of the moon they gazed together at Qingshui town.

Agree on "一轮明月" on the day that XY and XL gazed at the moon together means the moon was round. I'll have to do some further thinking about "一轮皓月" when XY found out about XL's death. As you noted, the description seems to imply a round moon. However, because the YaoJing wedding was calculated to be on a waning crescent moon and this event was supposed to happen a few days later, I'm not sure that timing aligns with a round-looking moon. A few possibilities are: (1) there is a mistake in the calculation of the moon phase for YaoJing's wedding, (2) "a few days" actually means around 15 days (3) this is an imprecise use of the term "一轮" to refer to a non-round moon.

AH :
My impression of that comment from XY was not that she thought that XL and FBB were the same (if she thought there was no difference, then why would she hope for Left Ear to be more like FFB than XL?), but rather that, whether Left Ear became more like XL or more like FFB, she would accompany him all the same / either way. 

My interpretation as to why XY wants LE to be more like FFB than XL is not because she likes FFB more as a person, but because FFB is free. There is a lot of mention of freedom when LE won his freedom.

Bei crooked his long legs and put his hands behind his head and leaned back “Forty years ago he made a deal with his slave owner. If he helped his owner win for forty straight years, then the owner would grant him his freedom. Tonight if he wins, he gets his freedom.”

That slave really was so weak! Likely because he was about to gain his freedom, his owner saw him as a losing proposition so never spent money to heal his recent injuries.

The skinny weak slave actually moved but still couldn’t get up. Everyone got excited and stared at him. Xiao Yao loudly called out “Get up, get up, get up! If you get up then you’ve earned your freedom! Get up, get up!”

Some other folks also knew about the slave’s deal with his owner so in the chatter in the arena, soon the entire arena knew he had endured for forty years and this was his final step towards freedom.

Xiao Yao laughed out loud in joy and turned around and hugged Bei and excitedly exclaimed “Did you see that? He won, he’s free!”

Xiao Yao walked and talked “I was thinking that when you escaped the slave death match arena, wouldn’t it have been great if I was the one who saved you! If that was the case, then I would let you only be Fang Feng Bei! I really hate that I wasn’t born a few hundred years earlier. I would definitely find you in the slave death match arena…….”

-- Vol 2 Ch 6 (Chapter 23)

When XY sends LE and Miao Pu off, she tells LE she wishes for him what XL couldn't have. I interpret this to be freedom.

Xiao Yao watched them leave and silently sighed. She had wanted to be their secret matchmaker and watch over them for longer so Miao Pu and Left Ear could take their time to develop, but things were beyond her control and she didn’t have much time left now. Xiao Yao silently wished them well, for Left Ear and Miao Pu to support and take care of each other – Left Ear and Miao Pu, fare thee well! I wish you what Xiang Liu couldn’t have, what Jing and I couldn’t have, you guys have to be happy forever.

-- Vol 3 Ch 14 (Chapter 47)

@blabla100 @HeadInTheCloud

It was at this time that Fangfeng Bei took her to the flower demon's spice shop. She used the fragrance lotion she bought to mix more than ten unique fragrances. Xiaoyao often used a fragrance she named "Dream"., Later Zuo Er described this of fragrance: "The faint fragrance is there, distant yet close, like the gorgeous starry sky on a midsummer night. " >

In the past, in Qingshui Town, Xiangliu gave Xiaoyao the feeling that "it makes people want to get close but is afraid of him"; now in Xuanyuan City, Fangfengbei gave Xiaoyao the feeling of "somewhat absent, distant yet close".

What does the phrase "the gorgeous starry sky on a midsummer night" mean? It's a midsummer night's dream! "A Midsummer Night's Dream" is Shakespeare's comedy, a romantic story about lovers getting married.

So what is Xiaoyao's dream? It is "Lovers will eventually get married".

This is consistent with my previous explanation of "the dreamer": Xiaoyao already knew his love for Xiangliu when "the moon rises over the sea". Being unable to let Xiangliu fall into his dream does not mean that he cannot fall in love with Xiangliu, but It's because she can't imagine that she and Xiang Liu will eventually married.

Xiaoyao still had a dream of lovers finally getting married. She once prevented Xiang Liu from dreaming, but when Xiang Liu left, Fang Feng Bei came, and it was impossible to prevent him.

So, why did Xiaoyao refuse to let Xiang Liu enter the dream before, but now let Fang Fengbei enter the dream?

This is easy to explain. Although Fangfeng Bei also wanted to kill Zhuan Xu like Xiang Liu, he was very different from Xiang Liu. Xiang Liu has a cruel tongue, but Fang Feng Bei will talk to her gently; Xiang Liu always bullies her, but Fang Feng Bei will considerately let her go; Satisfied one by one.

When Xiaoyao was disappointed with Xiangliu, it was actually because of Xiangliu's attitude that made Xiaoyao have no confidence in their love. Xiangliu made her feel insecure, which was the main reason for her cowardice. Bei treats Xiaoyao like this, and Xiaoyao can't help but let him fall asleep.

Even though Fangfeng Bei is now in opposition to her brother, Fangfeng Bei's enthusiasm for her still makes her have illusions about him.

@liddi @blabla100 @Headinthecloud

Sorry I just had time to reply.
Yes, as soon as I find the link I will share it immediately.

@liddi

Sorry for relying on you again, liddi, it seems the translation of the post above is not correct, maybe you can correct it

就是在这个时候,防风邶带她去花妖开的香料 铺子玩,她用买的香露自己动手调配了十来种 独特的香,小天自己常用一种被她命名为 “梦”的香,后来的左耳描述过这种香:<若 有若无的幽香,遥远又亲近,犹如仲夏夜的绚 烂星空。>

以前在清水镇,相柳给小天的感觉是:“让人 想接近又畏惧”;现在在轩辕城,防风邶给小 天的感觉则是:“若有若无、遥远又亲近”。

“仲夏夜的绚烂星空”这句话又是什么意思? 是仲夏夜之梦啊!《仲夏夜之梦》是莎士比亚 的喜剧,一个富有浪漫主义色彩、有情人终成 眷属的故事。

所以小天的梦是什么?是“有情人终成眷 属”。

这和我之前对“入梦之人”的解释是一致的: 小天早就在“海上生明月”时知道了自己爱相 柳的心意,不能让相柳入梦不是指不能爱上相 柳,而是她不能幻想和相柳终成眷属。

小天还是做了有情人终成眷属的梦。她曾经不 让相柳入梦,但是走了一个相柳,又来了一个 防风邶,简直防不胜防。

那么,为什么小天之前拒绝相柳入梦,现在却 让防风邶入了梦?

这很好解释,虽然防风邶也跟相柳一样想杀颛 顼,但是他又跟相柳有大大的不同。相柳狠辣 毒舌,但防风邶却会温柔地和她说话;相柳总 欺负她,但防风邶却会体贴地让着她;相柳无 法满足她的,防风抑却会耐心地陪着她——满 足。

当初小天对相柳失望,其实还是由于相柳的态 度问题,让小天对他们的爱情没有信心,相柳 让她没有安全感,才是她怯懦的主要原因,但 凡相柳能像现在防风邶这样对小天,小天都会 忍不住让他入梦。

即使防风邶现在也跟她哥哥立场对立,但是防 风邶对她的热情,还是会让她对他抱有幻想。

solarlunareclipse:
My interpretation as to why XY wants LE to be more like FFB than XL is not because she like FFB more as a person, but because FFB was free. There is a lot of mention of freedom when LE won his freedom..

I have the same view on this matter too when XY said so to Left Ear in chapter 44. FFB is XL without duty and responsibility with Shen-nong army which made him as her family enermy and dictate his ending fate that one day he would die with the army. 

After knowing FFB as XL in chapter 17, she considered FFB as another side of XL, not an indiviual apart from XL. 

If XY had favor toward FFB, why at that half unconcious moment it was XL's image emerged in her mind. For XY, Jing and YSQ were 2 distinctive individuals but FFB and XL were just different facets of one person. She struggled to answer the question if she was willing to marry Jing but quickly answered "YES" to YSQ althought at that moment Jing/YSQ had got married to FFYY. She refused to answer who she wanted to accompnay most because FFB or XL was still one person regardless the name XL, Nine-Lives or FFB. He was always himself. 

windiaaa041293:
Xiaoyao still had a dream of lovers finally getting married. She once prevented Xiang Liu from dreaming, but when Xiang Liu left, Fang Feng Bei came, and it was impossible to prevent him.

So, why did Xiaoyao refuse to let Xiang Liu enter the dream before, but now let Fang Fengbei enter the dream?

I disagreed with this. During the time in Xuan Yuan, XY treated FFB as friend. The perfume that she made is expressing her longing for XL (FFB just showed her the shop). The main ingredient of that "Dream" perfume is lotus essence which reminded her about Xiang Liu. And the feeling, the smell of the perfume, "somewhat absent, distant yet close",matched her feeling to XL "it makes people want to get close but is afraid of him".  

XY bought a lot of essence drops and made a lot of perfume, She sent 4 types of perfume to Xing Yue, 4 to Ah Nian and she used one for herself. Later Miao Pu liked it and she got bored with it. It was not clearly mentioned when she stopped using it and gave to Miao Pu. She just said she stop using perfume for a long time. This can happen after 37 years under the sea or when she suffered from the depression or after the wedding robbery? Does anyone remember when the perfume was mentioned beside chapter 17 and 43?

@liddi, @H19279

We know that "一轮" is the proper quantifier for a full or round moon (e.g. "一轮满月", "一轮圆月").

We know that "一牙" is the proper quantifier for a crescent moon (e.g. "一牙弯月").

Out of curiosity, what is the proper quantifier for a new moon (新月) or a half moon (半月)?