ZYHLJ:
No, I must give you the Chinese version of that fiction. Now this has become MY wish :-)

Oh... in that case, thank you very much and I look forward to reading it!

ZYHLJ:
In fact, I calculated it, if I translate two thousand Chinese characters every week, it will take me two full years to complete this fiction.

Oh no. That sounds like such a mammoth task...

ZYHLJ:
If you are not completely sure, short stories or novellas are the best choices.

While the story you picked sounds very interesting, perhaps you might want to choose a shorter story to translate? I don't want you to end up having to commit yourself to such a huge project that will span a long time. 

ZYHLJ:
Especially in the absence of feedback from readers, I really have immense respect for the Chinese authors who still insist on writing long novels of hundreds of thousands of words now.

It certainly takes a lot of self-motivation and drive to keep going on, when there is so little feedback. Do they post serially, or all at one go?

ZYHLJ:
I am very sure that Tong Hua, Nanpai Sanshu, Guo Jingming, and 匪我思存 did not encounter such a problem when they wrote on-line. In their era, the readers' feedback together would probably be longer than the fiction itself. T_T

Do their original serialised posts still exist, or were those taken down once their books were published? What do you think is the reason for the change in reader feedback? Was it because the number of online works were a lot less in those days, compared to now?

ZYHLJ:
Also, I found a video of Liu Yifei with Yu Ji's aura:

She is a very believable Yu Ji. Isn't that her in 鸿门宴传奇 where she was Yu Ji to 冯绍峰's Xiang Yu? Though they changed the sequence in which they died, to her going to him and committing suicide when he was ambushed, which he followed suit afterwards, so that even if they could not grow old together, they could die together.

ZYHLJ:
If I see Xiang Liu die in front of me with my bare eyes, I will definitely be like her in the video...

Do you think Xiao Yao would have died with him if she saw him die before her very eyes?

I was listening to the audiobook today, and started tearing up again in the last chapter when Miao Pu described Xiang Liu's death, followed by Xiao Yao's grief, and of course, the epilogue. I can't imagine how I would feel when we finally see his death scene in S2.

AH :
In an ideal situation, my fic would be read in an almost triathon-like manner where the reader would first read LYF, then watch Titanic, and then read my fic in short succession so all the parallels would be readily apparent. But somehow I don't think it will ever happen. ^^"

Well... seeing Titanic was released in 1997, and LYF published in 2013, that sequence wouldn't have worked for me. But! I have done all three, albeit in the wrong sequence, with massive time gaps in between. I guess in order to recreate this, I will next need to watch Titanic, and re-read your fic. Let's see when I do get around to watching Titanic next...

AH :
I saw Turandot in Italian when I was a student and was completely lost there too, despite having a rough idea of what the plot was supposed to cover.

When it comes to stories in other languages, I'd much rather watch a drama with subtitles so I can actually follow what's happening. ^^

I thought most modern opera houses come with subtitles nowadays? Was the feature not available when you watched Turandot?

As for China, I am not sure whether stage operas there provide English subtitles - @ZYHLJ, would you be able to enlighten us?

liddi:
Well... seeing Titanic was released in 1997, and LYF published in 2013, that sequence wouldn't have worked for me. But! I have done all three, albeit in the wrong sequence, with massive time gaps in between. I guess in order to recreate this, I will next need to watch Titanic, and re-read your fic. Let's see when I do get around to watching Titanic next...

Lol. I should have said "re-read" LYF and "re-watch" Titanic. The odds that someone would read LYF for the first time, then immediately watch Titanic for the first time, and then immediately read my fic are indeed probably zero. ^^

liddi:
I thought most modern opera houses come with subtitles nowadays? Was the feature not available when you watched Turandot?

As for China, I am not sure whether stage operas there provide English subtitles - @ZYHLJ, would you be able to enlighten us?

The venue I went to offered deals for students, but they were for less-optimal seats. My seat happened to be located in a spot that was particularly not great for captions. The surtitles (subtitles above the stage) and the smaller screens on the tier ledge were both out of eyeline. So basically no subtitles. But even for great seats, the size, font, and position of surtitles seemed... not ideal. But some would say that's how the opera "should" be enjoyed. My impression was that some old school opera lovers don't like the surtitles and find them distracting, so the venues have to balance catering to those people (by keeping the surtitles somewhat out of the way and not too visually stark) with catering to the people who like and want to use them. Granted, I've only been to one western opera in one venue a very long time ago, so perhaps that experience isn't a good representation of the experience at most venues today.

Same for Chinese operas today. It's very possible that the venues could now have subtitles or surtitles in other languages. I'd be curious to know. 

@liddi

In fact, I can keep translating until no one reads it, although I don’t hope that it will go unread, haha! Do you really find this story interesting? I don't see anyone else here being interested. Could it be because people feel that a modern person traveling back in time would ruin the atmosphere of an ancient story? 

The authors basically post fictions in chapters. Because websites usually push novels that have been updated recently, if you post them all at once, there will be very few readers.

I've never searched for their original posts online, most likely they are no longer there. At least now, chapters online would require payment before the physical book is sold. There is no authoritative conclusion as to why readers today don't comment. I saw an article discussing this issue on Weibo before. The blogger thought it was because there are so many novels and fanfics that can be read for free now, and there are so many authors as well, that most readers no longer cherish them. I think this makes sense. Moreover, there are also a lot of things to watch (videos, dramas) and play (games) in the current Mandarin cultural circle. People already feel there is not enough entertainment time, and I think they don’t want to waste it on writing comments :-( 

Yes, some of the scenes here should be from 鸿门宴传奇, and some of the scenes should be from her role as Diao Chan in 铜雀台. She is so beautiful, I hope she can play Ah Heng in the remake of Once Promised :-)

I think if Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu really became lovers, she might die for him, but in the original work, Xiao Yao had no reason even if she wanted to die for him. In the original work, she does not have any clear relationship with Xiang Liu. She is not even sure what she means to him. If she just commits suicide for him, she will look like a fanatical crazy fangirl of Xiang Liu. I think her pride may not allow her to do so. 

As for the ending written by Tong Hua, I have already regarded it as one possible ending for Xiang Liu. In my world, it didn't really happen because countless people, including me, have made sure he went to other parallel universes :-)

@AH @liddi

I have never seen a traditional opera performance live. I checked online and found that most formal theaters in China have subtitle screens. As for whether there are subtitles in each specific performance, people can check/ask on the theater's official website. In addition, usually before the performance begins, audiences will receive a paper plot synopsis, which is usually bilingual. This is the official website of the National Center for the Performing Arts in Beijing: 

https://m.chncpa.org/ 

In fact, there are many categories of traditional Chinese dramas, and Peking Opera is just one of them. I personally like Yue opera the most, maybe because I often heard it on TV when I was a child (my grandma particularly likes Yue opera). The funny thing is, as a kid I had absolutely no interest in it, but as I got older I came to appreciate it more and more. If you haven’t seen Yue Opera before, here is a performance of Yue Opera in diplomatic situations:

https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV1uz4y1V7Kd

plor20:
She wants to scream for him to stay, but all she can do is cry. She runs after the snow butterflies, trying to hold onto them, but as soon as the man disappears, she falls into the water. Struggling back up, she breaks through the water surface and swims after them. No matter how far she swims, she can’t catch up. She is so tired; yet, this time, she is determined to follow him even if it risks drowning.

I felt a bit sorry for Xiao Yao here. 

plor20:
“Xiling Xiao Yao, you don’t know me, but you should know my loved one, when he bore into your heart.

So the male bug went into XY and the female bug into XL? I always assumed that female for female, male for male. But this makes sense in its way. These two bugs love each other. XL would represent the male bug and since the bugs were separated when they were implanted, the female bugs being in XL's heart is like being in the heart of her lover. 

plor20:
Xiao Yao, who has spent her entire life believing in what she wants to believe instead of the truth, has caused the connection between her heart and mind to sever. Every time her heart and mind try to synchronize, Xiao Yao experiences unbearable pain because when she refuses to believe in something, she fights with all her soul.

A thousand years and XY still haven't grown up or wise-up and learned to be honest and true to herself? *sigh* She really is a lost cause. 

liddi:
At last, Xiao Yao is finally forced to face the consequences of her choices - to see for herself how Xiang Liu suffered when she went to Jing.

Reading this just makes me sad. This book shouldn't be examined too closely because the deeper I read, the sadder I feel. 

plor20:

haha...JC's characters against each other are the best. XD ♥‿♥!(^o^)!(≧▽≦)(>ω<)

I love all the chibi fan art of TJC's characters interacting. They are so cute and fun. Whenever I feel sad about XL, I just look at the cute fan art of him to cheer me up. It's XL after all the crap from LYF. 

plor20:
XL kills the physical connection, XY fulfills the verbal oath; however, the blood oath remains which states that you either love in life or die in heartbreak. Since they cannot love in life, they will have to die in heartbreak.

In Hmong superstition regarding blood oaths, a living person may be haunted by the deceased individual until they are both united in death, perpetuating a cycle of karma until the oath is fulfilled.

This is very interesting about blood oath. 

I always see the acceptance and successful implantation of the Lovers Bugs as an oath, a promise to only love this person no ifs or buts. And this promise extends into death. It's not a case of 'till death do us part. it's we will love each other in life and in death. A change of heart (aka, loving another person) is going against this oath and will mean death for both people. XY didn't have a change of heart, but the oath meant that she should have died with XL. XL was kind and didn't want this for her, so he lured out her bug and severed their connection. But these bugs are sentient, so they are angry that XL and XY cheated and now want the oath to be fulfilled. 

ZYHLJ:
@AH @liddi

I have never seen a traditional opera performance live. I checked online and found that most formal theaters in China have subtitle screens. As for whether there are subtitles in each specific performance, people can check/ask on the theater's official website. In addition, usually before the performance begins, audiences will receive a paper plot synopsis, which is usually bilingual.

Thanks for checking for us ZYHLJ. ^^

ZYHLJ:
I really want that crystal ball Xiang Liu gave Xiao Yao. Anyone with a business mind will know how easy it will be to sell it! But even if they don't sell it, it doesn't matter. The character Xiang Liu is like Yang Guo and will still be talked about for another fifty years. LYF may also be remade. I will definitely get it before I die. Even if I don’t get it, I can still learn to make it myself. I will have it anyway, haha!

Lol! I think you're giving @liddi a run for her money in the XL fangirl department. 

I think there was a fan who made one. Nathsketch's sent me a link ages ago and I no longer have it. I don't know why the production company or Tencent hasn't capitalized on the success of the show and released more merchandise. A few more outfits for the plushies. How about a clamp shell and a FFB doll?

LYF has been out for 10+ years and the conversations have always focused on 1) XL and 2) YaoLiu romance. For a character that was only in a small fraction of the novel, he has the biggest impact. The readers who loved him really loved him. Did you know that his fans bought and named a star after him? I saw a little video of it. 

ZYHLJ:
Where do you live? In Prague? Why do Vietnamese especially like Prague? I heard that in Europe, even in many small towns, there are Chinese-owned restaurants or supermarkets. Is this true?

I don't live in Prague, was there for a holiday only. According to a tour guide, Vietnamese is the 4th biggest population in the Czech Republic (or was it the 3rd?). I think he said it was because the Czech Republic was a vassal state of the Soviet Union and Vietnam is a Communist country and there were a lot of Vietnamese international students decades before who chose to study in Czech due to this communist connection. 

Yes, you do get the little grocery shops run by Asians - Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, etc. I noticed quite a bit of Thai-run shops in Rome. And you do get Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai restaurants as well. Prague has some excellent Vietnamese and I went to a hot-pot restaurant that was amazing while I was in Prague as well. I can't say for the rest of the Czech Republic, but Prague was very food-friendly for this Asian who can't live without her Asian food :-). The live music scenes were also really good there. I must have gone to a new Jazz bar/club every night while I was there.

ZYHLJ:
Do you have a link to this fanfic? I want to see this story first. So long, I guess it's also on Jinjiang? ^_^

I read this fic on zhuanlan.zhihu but I located on Jinjiang here:

https://2fopen.jjwxc.net/book2/8359415

on zhihu

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/656331010

It's focused on XY's growth and development and how she slowly finds out all the things that XL did for her. XL doesn't show up until 2/3 of the way into the story. Bonus, he spent some time in his baby hydra/sea dragon form which is always ultra cute :-). There are also 11 extra epilogues after the main story ends with more sweet scenes of YaoLiu. I haven't finished reading everything.

The thing I liked about this was the focus on XY's growth since I always felt that her trauma and fear were the biggest obstacles that prevented them from being together. The plotting was also good. The author made use of the GuiFeng Clan as well. And I think the characters read true to the novel and not OCC.

ZYHLJ:
Do you have links to these Vietnamese websites discussing Xiang Liu? I'm a little curious about how their views will be different from Chinese audiences :-)

They are Facebook groups. I'll see if I can find the public groups and share the links with you. You'll need to use Google Translate unless you know how to read Vietnamese.

I'm also curious what the Chinese audience views are on LYF and XL as well. Some of the Viet fans are very well-versed in Mandarin and read the novel around the time it was released 10+ years ago. Some of them mentioned their disappointment with the way the newer crops of fans from the drama tried to "blackened XL" to boost up Jing when this wasn't the attitude when the novel was first released. XL's character and actions were acknowledged even if they supported YaoJing. Did you observe this with the Chinese audience?

AH :
The odds that someone would read LYF for the first time, then immediately watch Titanic for the first time, and then immediately read my fic are indeed probably zero. ^^

There is still hope. Let's see if my daughter ever decides to finish reading LYF, after which I can introduce her to Titanic, followed by your fic.

AH :
The venue I went to offered deals for students, but they were for less-optimal seats. My seat happened to be located in a spot that was particularly not great for captions. The surtitles (subtitles above the stage) and the smaller screens on the tier ledge were both out of eyeline. So basically no subtitles. But even for great seats, the size, font, and position of surtitles seemed... not ideal.

Ahh that is truly a shame. I have never had the opportunity to go an opera, but certainly, if it were in a language I was not familiar with, the subtitles would have been conducive to appreciating the performance even more, regardless of whether I know the music well or not.  One of my favourites is Puccini's La bohème, and while I've watched various video recordings, I hope to watch it on stage one day. 

Incidentally, I have been listening to the official LYF audiobook from Mo Tie (I finally realised they were the ones Tong Hua mentioned in the Sohu 2019 interview article), which has separate VAs for different characters. Obviously, I jumped straight into iconic scenes, but perhaps I am used to the diction from the drama cast, as I ended up finding some of the cast delivery a little underwhelming. That being said, it is highly enjoyable, listening to a well-narrated audiobook, and some of the songs in the novel were actually sung. In the past, I had a bad experience where the voice used to narrate the book was so unsuitable that it pulled me out of the story straight away as I can't get past my cringe to immerse in the actual narrative..

ZYHLJ:
In fact, there are many categories of traditional Chinese dramas, and Peking Opera is just one of them. I personally like Yue opera the most, maybe because I often heard it on TV when I was a child (my grandma particularly likes Yue opera).

I never attended an actual Chinese opera stage performance either, but as a child, I used to watch video recordings of 歌仔戏 Taiwanese opera and some 潮剧 Teochew opera with my parents and grandparents.  It was common to see the 小生 young male leads played by female performers - 杨丽花 Yang Lihua was my favourite 歌仔戏小生 back in those days.

One of the most famous Teochew opera is this scene from 柴房会 "The encounter at the woodshed", which depicts the meeting between an honest salesman and the ghost of a murdered woman in the woodshed where he was staying overnight. This is an extremely humorous scene, which highlights the dexterity of the performer playing the salesman, which you can see here circa 22m43s, as he slides under tables, climbs up and down a ladder and so forth:

https://youtu.be/Yl2UHD7niOY?t=1363

ZYHLJ:
I did not post the Chinese version of the fanfics I wrote. Chinese readers have so many online novels and fanfics that they can read for free that they are nowadays really indifferent to the authors. For most people, even if they read the full fiction or even save the fiction, they will not leave a single sentence, or they will only leave one sentence or a few words. There are very few people who can seriously write long comments.

I'm very guilty of this. I don't think I've ever left a review for anything before. I used to read a lot of fan fiction or original works on Wattpad, but besides a thank you or a few short sentences, I don't write much else. I think it's because I read fiction predominantly for entertainment and usually read before bed so my reading is very passive. Half of my brain is already asleep while the other half is on its way to joining the first half :-). I'm usually a very biddable reader who will follow the author's lead and go with the flow of the story. But once something sticks in my craw, it's very hard for me to get over it and I can become very disagreeable :-)

ZYHLJ:
In fact, if liddi hadn't encouraged me before, I wouldn't have started writing this fanfic.

AH :
liddi's awesome and unique. Truly an ideal reader for every fic writer.

I think liddi and AH would be ideal beta readers for fic writers since both seem to be active readers who can spot the potential illogical holes in the story. 

ZYHLJ:
In fact, I can keep translating until no one reads it, although I don’t hope that it will go unread, haha! Do you really find this story interesting? I don't see anyone else here being interested. Could it be because people feel that a modern person traveling back in time would ruin the atmosphere of an ancient story? 

I am fine with any story as long as it does not stray from the essence of the novel. HeadInTheClouds has a recommendation which sounds interesting too - do have a look.

ZYHLJ:
The blogger thought it was because there are so many novels and fanfics that can be read for free now, and there are so many authors as well, that most readers no longer cherish them.

That is a real shame. The fanfics I read were good, so it is unfortunate if the authors are not informed of how much their work is loved.

ZYHLJ:
I hope she can play Ah Heng in the remake of Once Promised :-)

I never imagined her as A Heng, a character that is far more fiesty and strong. Then again, I am reminded that she did play Mulan though I haven't watched it. Who would you see as Chi Chen then?

ZYHLJ:
I think if Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu really became lovers, she might die for him, but in the original work, Xiao Yao had no reason even if she wanted to die for him.

I don't think not having any apparent reason to die for him would be a reason for her not to. However, I do not believe Xiang Liu would want her to die for him if they were lovers - he always wanted her to treasure life, and he continued to encourage her to do so even in her most despondent, darkest moments. So I can't see him ever wanting her to follow him in death.

ZYHLJ:
The setting of this fanfic is: a modern reader who likes Xiang Liu accidentally traveled to the world of Dahuang and became A Nian in Qingshui Town, she changed Xiang Liu's fate and finally took Xiang Liu as her own, with a happy ending. I took a quick glance at it and found it to be well written. I plan to read it even if I don’t translate it. The heroine's scene is funny, and Xiang Liu's image is consistent with the original work. Although there are sixty-five chapters, the progress of the story is not slow at all, and it is very popular in Jinjiang. How do you feel about it?

WHAT!? This is my dream come true hahaha

Modern girl traveling to the past to set things right?? Outlander-style?? Yes, please.

nathsketch:

WHAT!? This is my dream come true hahaha

Modern girl traveling to the past to set things right?? Outlander-style?? Yes, please.

You missed the key stumbling block... became A NIAN!!!!   Run away!!!!

Though, seriously.  Link please.  I'll add it to the first page.