What I learned today: something about the three main ways of romanizing Japanese. The other day I talked to a friend about how inconvenient it is that there are very few Japanese language textbooks written in Swedish, because sometimes using English means taking a detour in the thought process because there are differences between these languages after all. (Also, not all Swedes – especially not the young ones – are fluent enough in English to be able to use it as a language of instruction.) I have seen one before that uses the “learn Japanese from manga!” method; it doesn’t work for me because I like grammar and proper explanations. ;) Anyway, today I found a Swedish textbook at the library (written by three Swedish-speaking native Japanese teachers). It’s not like I have time to study this book but I took it home anyway, to look at it a little bit. I noticed right away that there are differences from the Genki textbook used in my class, for one thing the method for romanization. This book uses “kunrei-siki” because, the preface says, this makes it “easier to show the verb endings”. That’s all they say about it. Well, maybe, I don’t know? I had to look this up because I had never seen this before, so I read about “Romanization of Japanese” on Wikipedia and learned that there are three main methods and obviously none of them is perfect, but kunrei-siki is taught to Japanese schoolchildren. So, okay then. But in what way does this make things clearer when it comes to writing verb endings? I don’t understand what the writers mean by that? (As far as I can see, the Hepburn system shows the pronunciation more accurately, at least judging by my own poor ears when watching dramas? I feel that if I had read this book without having heard any Japanese, I would get the wrong idea about how to say the words.) It’s not like this is a super important question (the important thing for me is not to forget the characters that I learned in class last year!), I just don’t get it. Any ideas?
Kunrei-siki makes verb endings more clear because it makes things appear more regular. For example... kaku (書く) The root is "kak-" plain form = kak-u -masu form = kak-imasu negative plain form = kak-anai potential form (plain) = kak-eru etc. On the other hand, what about a verb like 待つ (matsu or matu). If you romanize it as "matsu" then it doesn't seem to fit the pattern. If you are working with the plain form as the base, it looks like it should be mats-u, mats-anai, mats-imasu, mats-eru. But of course if you understand Japanese you know that "tsu" belongs to the "t-line" and just has an irregular pronunciation (it's always the same, but not what one would predict). The Hepburn system indicates the phonetics (sounds) of Japanese, and the kunrei-siki indicates the phonology (sound/meaning units). Does that make sense?