I'm determined to put more miso in my diet, so I wanted to ask if any of you do it often and what do you add to it, accept traditional: tofu, green onions and wakame? I'm determined to also feed my husband with this, and with him being very active, I need to make it more substantial. So I'll appreciate if you tell what do you like in your miso soup.
I like to add mushrooms and more types of seaweed. You can try daikon as well. I've seen pork and fish misoshiru a couple times, but I don't eat meat, so I don't know how it tastes. Also, changing the miso paste can have a strong impact on the flavor. I use traditional red and white, but I also use brown rice miso. IMO, miso soup has a very strong taste and can really clash with some ingredients.
i've never tried making it but i'd like to. but that's one reason i never did, i'd go to that section of the health food store and stare at the different types of miso and chicken out cause i didn't know what the different kinds are like
i want to experiment more with asian cooking when we move out of my inlaws' place
wrote: I like to add mushrooms and more types of seaweed.

Thanks for advice, Kawaikochan. Mushrooms might be good, I'll try this one. I also read about adding fine cut carrots - unusual but maybe I'll try. Or maybe some sprouts? I'm not that sure about adding meat or seafood- but maybe shrimps...mhm....I'd rather make spicy shrimps soup ( If i ever learn how).
wrote: i've never tried making it but i'd like to. but that's one reason i never did, i'd go to that section of the health food store and stare at the different types of miso and chicken out cause i didn't know what the different kinds are like
i want to experiment more with asian cooking when we move out of my inlaws' place

Start small- pick one small package...any package :) I think lighter are sweeter and more delicate(so far I haven't tried them) and darker have richer, saltier taste (something like soysouce). The basic is just to dissolve it in water or dashi stock. I also like to mix the paste with sushi rice and chopped green onions for onigiri or maki- it's super delicious.
Elisabetta wrote: Start small- pick one small package...any package :) I think lighter are sweeter and more delicate(so far I haven't tried them) and darker have richer, saltier taste (something like soysouce). The basic is just to dissolve it in water or dashi stock. I also like to mix the paste with sushi rice and chopped green onions for onigiri or maki- it's super delicious.

yep :) it's worth a try. The hardest part is making dashi if you're really trying to be authentic. Also, remember not to let it boil.