HeadInTheClouds:
Why did your mother not like Jing? 

I never really asked her. It was during the early days at Qingshui town after Xiang Liu showed up, which was surprising for me because I found him the most likeable in that arc.

HeadInTheClouds:
Miu Kiu Wai was my first-ever celebrity crush. When I saw him as Chor Lau-Heung I was convinced that I would grow up and marry the man. LOL!

I was smitten by his Yang Kang in 射雕英雄传 Legend of the Condor Heroes even though he was pretty much an anti-hero, and he was my favourite among TVB's 五虎将 Five Tigers (Andy Lau, Tony Leung,  Felix Wong, Kent Tong, Michael Miu). He has aged beautifully and delivered a great portrayal of Huang Yaoshi in the 2007 Legend of the Condor Heroes.

HeadInTheClouds:
I was more familiar with Kong Wah's Ha Suet-Yee in TVB's The Crimson Sabre. They added more to his character in that version. Did Ha Suet-Yee feature prominently in the novel?

In the novel, 夏雪宜 Xia Xueyi was only mentioned in flashbacks - by Qing Qing's mother Wen Yi, the Wen elders, and later He Hongyao, and of course Yuan Chengzhi who found his remains and paid his respects to him, so everything was always from a 3rd person POV. Nonetheless, he made such an impression that I found myself actually eagerly waiting for the next time he was mentioned in the novel!

HeadInTheClouds:
I don't know how you do it, liddi. I can't bring myself to re-read the novel or watch any of XL's scenes in the drama. And here you are, listening to the audiobook.

It's still early days - Tian Er had just made her appearance, so the heartache hasn't started yet. But seriously, listening to it gives me a whole new appreciation for the novel and this medium, finding myself flinching or grinning as I listen, so all's good. It would be perfect if TJC was the one narrating Xiang Liu's lines!

Ha!  FINALLY found the interview where Tan Jian Ci drew the various heads of Xiang Liu.  Actually, he talks about other people's drawings before he does his own.  I'm pretty sure I saw a version with English Subs, but I haven't found that one yet.  Will keep looking.

https://youtu.be/8WVUSMl-PU0?si=ATz21h9qSWV30cf9&t=361

ZYHLJ:

@nathsketch

Maybe when you become fluent in Mandarin, you can become a translator for the Portuguese version of LYF! >_<

Oh! I would love to! <3 <3 

@liddi

In fact, the meaning of 霸道总裁 in Mandarin has been generalized in recent years, and now it can basically refer to all those men who are very manly, have leadership aura, and are majestic :-) 

Chichen is not necessarily particularly young, but Huang Xiaoming is forty-six years old this year. In my imagination, Chichen never looks older than forty, otherwise he and A Heng would look strange standing together :-( 

Don’t you want to come to Beijing to party with us?>_< At least you will come to Tan's concert, right? I remember you said you would go to his concert :-) 

As an aside, do you find it annoying that Chinese dramas are always delayed after filming, constantly promoted and never aired? I don’t have any dramas I want to watch now. I’m waiting for 四方馆, 七夜雪, 度华年...

@plor20

It turns out that this is the origin of Fangfeng Wuming! I heard Hua Yu's tone when talking about him before, and I didn't expect he was so good. The dancer who had been in unrequited love her whole life was so miserable...the soldiers of Wushen Mountain are so wretched! Cang Xuan should discipline them well! If the dead Wuming can turn into a butterfly and continue to exist in the world, then can Xiang Liu do the same? Does Hua Yu have the ability to resurrect him?

@Kokuto

Hahaha he is so cute! Tan's painting skills are actually quite good? ! >_<

Kokuto:

Ha!  FINALLY found the interview where Tan Jian Ci drew the various heads of Xiang Liu.  Actually, he talks about other people's drawings before he does his own.  I'm pretty sure I saw a version with English Subs, but I haven't found that one yet.  Will keep looking.

https://youtu.be/8WVUSMl-PU0?si=ATz21h9qSWV30cf9&t=361

Thanks for looking Kokuto :-)

ZYHLJ:
In fact, the meaning of 霸道总裁 in Mandarin has been generalized in recent years, and now it can basically refer to all those men who are very manly, have leadership aura, and are majestic :-) 

Ah I see. I still can't relate this terminology to historical / fantasy contexts LOL

ZYHLJ:
Don’t you want to come to Beijing to party with us?>_< At least you will come to Tan's concert, right? I remember you said you would go to his concert :-) 

I would love to travel and it would be great to meet up, but unfortunately circumstances currently prevent me to do so this year. We'll see how it goes the following year. Fingers crossed.

ZYHLJ:
As an aside, do you find it annoying that Chinese dramas are always delayed after filming, constantly promoted and never aired? I don’t have any dramas I want to watch now. I’m waiting for 四方馆, 七夜雪, 度华年...

You ran out of dramas to watch? Do you only watch them during broadcast? Yes, the wait can be painful. Apart from the excruciating wait for 长相思2, also looking forward to 四方馆, 滤镜 just for TJC, even though 四方馆's apparent comedic genre isn't what I normally gear towards. What I really hope will finally air by some miracle is 烽火流金 Winner is King, and I hope that if it does air, it lives up to the hype and expectations. I am excited for the prospects of 琅玡榜3 NiF3, even though there is no confirmed cast (I hear rumours that Zhang Wanyi is in it? Now that is a production that I hope TJC would be cast too). I loved NiF1 and 2, though my favourite is still NiF2, which showcases the ideal in every relationship - between husband and wife, father and son, siblings, king and subject. I followed it avidly during its broadcast and cried so much because of it. And I loved 孙淳's 长林王 萧庭生 best, and my favourite fan video of him beautifully captures just how incredible a character he is.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av19027643/

For me, I was watching 难寻 - need to finish it but enjoying it for once since it has a female lead I actually like and root for, even though the acting and script is not necessarily the most mature. As for 三体, that is a slow watch because I am reading the novel concurrently, and it requires a certain mind frame to get into it, which I currently do not have due to real life demands. As such, 长相思's audiobook is really helpful in that sense, because it enables me to "read" while doing other things, recalling details that I might have missed or forgotten, which is great. If I am ever brave enough, I would like to revisit 上古情歌 though I could not even survive the first episode previously, just because it is another adaptation of the LYF universe. 

ZYHLJ:
@nathsketch is coming to China to study or travel this summer. She plans to go to Beijing and Hengdian. We will probably get together in Beijing. Would you consider coming?

This June-August?

As much as I would love to join, I already have holiday plans for the end of the year and I simply do not have enough leave to cover both trips :-(

Are you ladies planning on seeing TJC's concert? The tickets would be difficult to obtain. Some of the Vietnamese fans are already coming up with plans to obtain Visas etc. even before they can guarantee getting tickets. They are very dedicated :-).

I would definitely be visiting China one day, though. So there will be other opportunities.

ZYHLJ:
Maybe someday TH will consider selling the copyright of LYF to Disney?

OK. I just had the image in my head of XL like The Mandalorian with Chubby as his Grogu. The series will follow XL rescuing and adopting Chubby and their adventure across Da Huang with XL as an assassin. 

ZYHLJ:
As for why Tan is a "special performance", the real reason is most likely that when Tan accepted this role, his status in the entertainment industry was already "accomplished the first male lead role in a successful drama (Under the Skin)"

I think @atmosphere mentioned the same things way back when in the XL and You thread.

ZYHLJ:
But sometimes there are just some supporting roles that require very talented actors, so the film and television industry cleverly solves this problem: calling them "special performances" or "friendship performances", this solves this embarrassment. But actually, everyone knows that he is the third male lead :-)

The thing is that while he's the "3rd male lead" - because CX has been designated as the ML by the author, and because Jing ended up with the FL so by convention, the audience sees him as the "2nd male lead" - the way that the novel is written, things are not as simple as that. The question of just who the FL lead actually loves, or loves the most (between XL and J) has been going on for a decade. Despite his minimal appearance, his presence and impact on the novel are incredibly important and LYF would not have been remembered and discussed the way it is without him. The fact that Yang Yang and Xiao Zhan names were thrown around as potential casting showed just how aware the drama production team and TH were of his importance. 

Guys, the first chapter of my translation was born! :-)

Summary: A modern reader of novel Lost You Forever who loves Xiang Liu very much accidentally time-traveled to the Dahuang world, and became princess A Nian on her way to Qingshui Town. She changed Xiang Liu's fate and eventually became his love. A long novel with a happy ending, one chapter updated (translated) each week.

Author: 吉巴罗

Original URL: https://m.jjwxc.net/book2/8259656

Note: Some names in the story are taken from the novel, not the drama. It won't affect reading.

If there are any errors or deficiencies in the translation, please correct me, thank you :-)

Kissing Xiang Liu

chapter 1

The night was getting darker and the city lights had just turned on.

The desk lamp in a house was on, and someone was reading a book under the light. The book was held religiously by that person, and a page was turned from time to time.

From noon to dusk, till the food in the neighbors smelled delicious, the person reading the book did not even move.

She was clearly entranced.

She couldn't know how much time passed, until the night was about to end, the stars and the moon gradually disappeared, until the book wrote at the end:

"Xiang Liu said silently in his heart: Xiao Yao, from now on, I can no longer protect you. You have to take good care of yourself. I wish you happiness and peace for the rest of your life!"

The person reading the book started to move. She could no longer restrain her emotions and burst into tears.

Zhong Nianliu is not a sentimental person, nor does she like to cry, but at this moment, she was deeply moved by this character Xiang Liu and was completely conquered.

As for any chances to change his fate, she could only say that line of poetry: "How can I find a solution in this world, so that I can neither betray the Buddha nor fail you?"

What's special about Xiang Liu has nothing to do with romance, but his own character. Xiang Liu's regret is that since he has already given his promise to his country, he can no longer give it to his love...

"Nine-life Xiang Liu" has become Zhong Nianliu's eternal regret.

The set of books Zhong Nianliu read was "Lost You Forever" written by the author Tong Hua, which she found by chance in an old bookstore.

Since the rapid development of e-commerce, many physical bookstores have declined and closed down.

The person who sells her books is a white-haired "grandpa" with a pair of reading glasses always hanging around his neck. The small bookstore he runs huddles between a large sale mall and a trendy milk tea shop. People come and go outside the bookstore, and the customer flow is only moderate.

Zhong Nianliu has loved coming to this bookstore to read books since she can remember. Although it is old and small, the collection of books inside is of high quality. It does have "gold houses" and "faces like jade" inside, and it is a retreat for countless leisurely people and literati.

The name of the bookstore is more romantic than other antiques. It is called "Dreaming Destiny Bookstore".

That day, Zhong Nianliu bought a cup of milk tea from next door and passed by Dreaming Destiny. The "grandpa" held up a thermos cup and greeted her: "Little Liu, do you want to come in and read today?"

Nianliu looked up at the sun. It was high and scorching. It was still early.

So she nodded and entered the bookstore, "Grandpa, have you bought any new books recently?"

Hearing her sincere question, grandpa took a sip of tea, sighed and smiled: "I won't buy books any more!"

Although Zhong Nianliu didn't know the reason, she had a guess in her heart, so she asked reluctantly, "Why?"

"I'm going to the big city and live with my son and daughter-in-law."

He is smiling and affable.

"I see..." When Nian Liu heard this, she felt mixed emotions in her heart.

This small bookstore not only carries her childhood, but also her youth. If Dreaming Destiny Bookstore closes, she will lose the spiritual paradise where she recalls her childhood and youth.

However, it would be great for grandpa to be reunited with his family and enjoy leisure time with the younger generation. Thinking of this, Nianliu restrained her melancholy. Actually, she was happy for grandpa.

Zhong Nianliu handed over her favorite milk tea, "Grandpa, do you want to drink it? I treat you."

The old man didn’t answer for a while, but then he raised the thermos cup towards her and shook his head with a smile.

"Come in and see if there is a book you like. If you like it, just take it."

Only then did Zhong Nianliu realize that the bookshelves that were usually full of books became empty. It seemed grandpa had already given away many of them.

"Do you like this set?"

The old man put down the cup and walked straight to the place where her eyes had just stopped, pointing to the set of books with envelope-like covers.

The books were placed on the topmost level of the shelf. A warm orange light shone on the cover and the three words "长相思" had a simple, ancient and mysterious air.

Zhong Nianliu nodded as if she was bewitched.

"Then grandpa will get it for you. Just wait." Grandpa took the ladder and put on his reading glasses. He rubbed the cover as he took the books down.

"Lost You Forever. Well...it's destined."

Zhong Nianliu took the book and felt her heart beat faster for a moment. She thanked him repeatedly.

But grandpa waved his hand and said with a smile: "Girl, I wish you all your wishes come true and getting what you want!"

Late at night, Zhong Nianliu was lying on the bed. She was still immersed in the world of the book and couldn't leave.

She remembered that when she read the end, the character she admired most, the Nine-Life Xiang Liu, eventually died in battle.

His life was miserable and lonely. When he fell in love with someone he shouldn't have fallen in love with, he could only push her away. On the battlefield, his white clothes were stained with blood, and he was no longer seen in the world.

Whenever the moonlight shrouded her through the window, Zhong Nianliu would think of General Xiang Liu, who was as bright as the moon, dressed in white and spotless.

So she sat up and faced the bright moon and made a wish: I hope that in that parallel world, he would be able to protect himself, have someone to rely on, a place to go, and be happy and worry-free for the rest of his life.

The night was long and no one answered her.

That night, she thought about Xiang Liu and wet the pillow with tears.

With lingering thoughts, she finally fell asleep.

The moment she fell into sleep, the evening breeze blew and the pages on the table turned.

The moonlight is like a waterfall, and the girl sleeping soundly on the bed has disappeared.

"Princess, princess?"

Amid the gentle call, someone was carefully shaking Zhong Nianliu's arm.

The sound of wheels grinding on the sand slowly came to her ears, mixed with a few crisp bird calls.

Zhong Nianliu rubbed her eyes and woke up. A wooden roof appeared in her field of vision, surrounded by gorgeous silk satins in a classic style.

Combining the hazy figure of the man sitting upright outside the rolling curtain with the occasional gasping sound of the horse, Zhong Nianliu quickly came to the conclusion that it turned out that she dreamed that she was sleeping in a carriage.

The bed in the carriage is quite soft. Zhong Nianliu yawned a few times, pulled on the scented quilt, turned over and continued to sleep.

Haitang originally thought that their princess had woken up, so she was preparing things for dressing up, but when she turned around, she found that she had fallen asleep again.

She helplessly shook the girl's soft body again: "Princess, I beg you to get up quickly. We are about to arrive at Qingshui Town. It's time for you to dress up."

Zhong Nianliu, who was sleeping lightly with her eyes closed, couldn't help but frown when she heard this. Her eyes widened instantly.

Princess?

...Qingshui Town?

Brainstorming is like a raging tide. Zhong Nianliu's consciousness suddenly became clearer than ever before - weren't these words in the novel she read before falling asleep? !

Seeing that Zhong Nianliu was motionless, Haitang wanted to urge her again, but was afraid of upsetting the princess. She wanted to speak but didn't dare.

She twisted her handkerchief and thought, "Let's wait a little longer."

Zhong Nianliu didn't give her a chance to wait any longer. She sat up suddenly, first looked around in confusion, and then looked at Haitang with panicked and unfamiliar eyes.

The princess was so rarely quiet and docile, which actually looked endearing, but precisely because of this rare demeanor, Haitang couldn't help but feel terrified.

She quickly turned her head to the rolling curtain and shouted in panic: "Master Cangxuan! Princess, princess..."

The figure behind the curtain heard the sound and approached. The rolling curtain was held up by a man. His face seemed a little tired, but the concern in his eyes was unquestionably sincere.

The man asked softly in a low voice: "A Nian, what happened?"

Zhong Nianliu has read more than a dozen, if not dozens, of book-time-traveling novels. Seeing the young man with warm eyes and elegant aura in front of her, she could already confirm that she, Zhong Nianliu, an outgoing college student who likes to stay at home, had actually time-traveled into the novel!

The "Lost You Forever" that made her liver and spleen bleed.

And she suddenly shapeshifted and became the little princess who was loved by the people of Gaoxin!

The one she dislikes the most, that self-indulgent noble Gaoxin Yi!

(To be continued)

ZYHLJ:
Guys, the first chapter of my translation was born! :-)

Awesome! Thank you very much for the translation!

Very clever play of words on the heroine's name. 念柳 - a combination of 阿念 A Nian and 相柳  Xiang Liu, and also meaning "Missing Liu". 

ZYHLJ:
The set of books was at the highest place. The orange light shone on the book cover, and the three words "长相思" were particularly mysterious and ancient.

长相思, the 2013 novel is ancient?? Is Nian Liu from sometime far in the distant future? 

ZYHLJ:
"Then grandpa will get it for you. Just wait." Grandpa took the ladder and put on his reading glasses. He rubbed the cover as he took the books down.

"Lost You Forever. Well...it's destined."

Zhong Nianliu took the book and felt her heart beat faster for a moment. She thanked him repeatedly.

But grandpa waved his hand and said with a smile: "Girl, I wish you all your wishes come true and getting what you want!"

Grandpa is very mysterious. Did he travel from the LYF universe into her world? White haired... bookkeeper... 毛球 Mao Qiu?!?!

ZYHLJ:
She helplessly shook the girl's soft body again: "Princess, I beg you to get up quickly. We are about to arrive at Qingshui Town. It's time for you to dress up."

Oh! Does this mean that Cang Xuan and A Nian had just arrived in Qingshui Town? Which means... the events of her bullying Lao Mu, Haitang getting poisoned, her getting kidnapped in exchange for the Shen Nong rebel army's medicines all have not happened. Xiao Liu and Xiang Liu have already met, but how would she get to meet Xiang Liu then? Can't wait to find out.

ZYHLJ:

Are you sure this line in the story is not referring to @Kokuto? LOL!

It is early days yet, but I am intrigued already by Grandpa's origins, and how the story would unfold. Great translation - thank you very much for your hard work! Looking forward to the next installment!

Oh, thank you ZYHLJ for translating this!  Very much appreciated!

ZYHLJ:
And she suddenly shapeshifted and became the little princess who was loved by the people of Gaoxin!

Uhnnnn.  A Nian was loved by the people of Gaoxin????  I find that hard to believe.

liddi:
Are you sure this line in the story is not referring to @Kokuto? LOL!

THIS would totally be my monkey's paw.  Wish to enter the world of LYF to save XL ... and end up in the body of A Nian.  The only thing worse would be to end up in the body of Jing.

@liddi

I'm so happy you like it! >_<

That's okay, if possible, let’s meet next year, looking forward!>_< 

I watch more new dramas, but sometimes I also watch old classics. I am very picky about dramas. Not only does the quality of the drama itself have to be good, but it also has to be in line with my interests at the time. I waited for many dramas for a long time and gave up after watching the first episode. But if I am truly moved by a drama, I will recall and reminisce about it for a long time. I agree with you, 琅琊榜 is really good, but I haven’t watched 琅琊榜 2. After watching this video, I decided to try it :-). I don’t know much about Du Chun, but I have watched the variety shows he participated in. He is a man with a high IQ. He kept winning with his brain when playing games, haha! Do you watch variety shows? I am following "The Chinese Restaurant" and "Divas Hit the Road", they are good! 

I also want to watch Winner is King, but to be honest, I feel that it is better to wish that it is spread privately than to wish that it is broadcast. Because according to current censorship standards, if it is broadcast publicly, it is likely to be cut to the point where even the original author cannot recognize it... But if it is spread privately, maybe we can see the entire content. But of course, the management will most likely try their best to get it to be broadcast publicly so that they can at least recoup their costs, and for that they will be willing to wait longer, so I don't hold out much hope right now. I would be impressed if they are willing to actually "give" this show directly to us. 

Regarding A Life Time Love, I didn't even watch the drama, just the stills are enough to scare me away. All the costumes are so strange, Chi You is dressed like Tarzan... But, let's wait, in our lifetime, this story will definitely be remade :-)

Regarding the word "ancient" in Kissing Xiang Liu, the original text is "古朴". Google translated it as "simple", to which I can only wrinkle my nose. So I changed it into "ancient". Although I'm still not totally satisfied with it, it's much better than "simple". Do you have any adjectives come to your mind? One possibility why the author uses this word is that, as you said, the heroine comes from the future world. I have not found conclusive evidence for this. Another possibility is that the font used in the book title is not a modern font, such as official script(隶书), small seal script(小篆),  or bronze inscriptions(金文), they all give people an ancient feel. Or is it possible that the cover design itself (vertical format old stationery) makes the title look ancient?

I'm also very curious about grandpa's true identity! It would be so fun if he is actually Maoqiu, and, at least we know he lived a happy life in our world :-D

And, yes, they have just arrived in Qingshui Town, and there is still time for everything! >_<

@HeadInTheClouds

That's fine, let's just wait, maybe you can come with @liddi next year :-)

To be honest, the tickets for the only concert I've ever seen live were a gift from someone to my mom, and I didn't even like the singer very much. So actually I don’t even have a clue where to buy concert tickets now. You reminded me that I should find out about this in advance. Is it really that difficult? ! 

"The series will follow XL rescuing and adopting Chubby and their adventure across Da Huang with XL as an assassin. "—Give you pen, please write it as soon as possible, I can't wait for a minute!!

I think the most unreasonable thing is to use the duration of scenes to determine the importance of a character. If so, then the person sitting across from you in your office is definitely the most important person in your life囧. Xiang Liu's appearance time is not the longest in the original work neither, but he was definitely my biggest motivation when reading. However, for management who do not really love film and television art, numbers are always the most concise and reliable indicator. After all, they have no interest in actually reading the script. 

In fact, after LYF aired and Xiang Liu became very popular, Zhang Wanyi and Deng Wei did fall into some kind of embarrassing situation. However, Deng Wei has a large number of fans to help him pile up numbers. As for Zhang Wanyi...I once saw someone saying viciously, "Who is he as the first male lead? The first male lead who is totally crushed by the second and the third male lead?" After the drama aired, he was particularly quiet at promotional events, speaking little and giving the opportunity to speak to others. This is actually abnormal for a first male lead. But at least, just like Cang Xuan, he endured injustice but maintained his dignity, and has always been cooperating with the promotion and defending the drama, unlike someone else.