Chun Mo Rionnag  thank you! i will keep those in mind :)

ColourMePurple:
I've also heard of Tandem from a youtube video but don't know much about that app either. But it serves the same purpose. You match with someone who wants to learn your native language.

I haven't had much success with Tandem, but did meet some great (Korean) friends on HelloTalk. The app is clunky, chews up battery, and has its share of shady types, but my experience has been positive in connection with language xchange friends.

Chun Mo Rionnag:

I haven't had much success with Tandem, but did meet some great (Korean) friends on HelloTalk. The app is clunky, chews up battery, and has its share of shady types, but my experience has been positive in connection with language xchange friends.

Although my vocabulary has improved, I still don't feel like I am confident enough to talk to Koreans. I would probably get stuck pretty early on. I tried to have a conversation with an AI and realised it's still not very easy. So I wonder if they would feel impatient in having an actual conversation. 

Fortunately, I found someone else who is at a similar level as me and every now and then we talk in Korean and try to use the vocabulary that we know to converse and then switch back to English when we get stuck. 

Another issue is, it takes me a long time to type in Korean because I have to keep checking if my spellings are correct. lol. So I'd definitely need a very patient Korean friend. 

ColourMePurple:
Another issue is, it takes me a long time to type in Korean because I have to keep checking if my spellings are correct. lol. So I'd definitely need a very patient Korean friend.

I have found them very patient, even when I had next to no vocabulary and was learning Hangul.

Chun Mo Rionnag:

I have found them very patient, even when I had next to no vocabulary and was learning Hangul.

Okay, I'll give it a try. Is HelloTalk like a social media app? How do you connect with people on it?

ColourMePurple:

Okay, I'll give it a try. Is HelloTalk like a social media app? How do you connect with people on it?

The way I connected was by commenting on posts on the main feed by Koreans who wanted their English corrected. Easy for me as a former proofreader and editor.  Doing this people offer personal thanks and you end up connecting that way. I also posted pictures of my Hangul writing practice sheets for comment on the main feed, the feedback I received was very helpful and helped me make more connections.

I also joined English practice speaking rooms for Koreans so they could improve their listening and speaking skills. Again, this helps with making connections. 

Even though my Korean is relatively non-existent (I now have a 100-word vocabulary), I found study partners within a week.

Like most things, you get back what you give out.

Chun Mo Rionnag:

The way I connected was by commenting on posts on the main feed by Koreans who wanted their English corrected. Easy for me as a former proofreader and editor.  Doing this people offer personal thanks and you end up connecting that way. I also posted pictures of my Hangul writing practice sheets for comment on the main feed, the feedback I received was very helpful and helped me make more connections.

I also joined English practice speaking rooms for Koreans so they could improve their listening and speaking skills. Again, this helps with making connections. 

Even though my Korean is relatively non-existent (I now have a 100-word vocabulary), I found study partners within a week.

Like most things, you get back what you give out.

Sounds wonderful! I'll have a look as well. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I'm glad you found wonderful people to help you in your journey.

kinocharlley:

ColourMePurple thank you! I haven't gotten around yet to choose my materials and reasearch what textbook im going to use so I know where to start

I just found the original video that explains the Korean pronunciation rules in a nice way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5hZTeG9iFg

I have been learning Korean for almost two years in Duolingo and I have build a decent vocabulary. After so much repetition I understand a lot in grammar. I am trying to take a formal course in my University and then I will see if I really have invested or lost my time.

On the other hand, I am an excellent Spanish speaker because I am Mexican, so, if anyone needs a help with their course, I can try to help.  

Oh that's so nice of you. I was thinking if I should add Spanish and a couple other languages on Duolingo. I had started to learn it a few years ago but I wasn't picking it up as fast as I would have liked. Kept forgetting basics but it's not that hard to understand many words in Spanish since English has words derived from Latin.

Some polyglots learn languages simultaneously but I'm not sure if that is ideal or if I should get myself to a A2/B1 level in Korean before adding another language.

Natural Korean Pronunciation through Assimilation

ColourMePurple:

I just found the original video that explains the Korean pronunciation rules in a nice way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5hZTeG9iFg

DmXas:
Natural Korean Pronunciation through Assimilation

yeah I knew about these sound changes. Although it still requires a bit of thinking for some words but I've gotten the hang of it for the most part. I'm mostly focusing on different grammar forms nowadays.

How To Become Fluent In Korean in 2024

The ones who are fluent have been at it for 6 - 8 years. Practicing writing and speaking are probably the best ways to improve one's Korean so you put your knowledge into use. 

How did foreign IDOLS learn Korean so FAST?? (feat. Lisa, Minnie, Felix)