I opened this discussion thread for people to provide updates on what they have heard/read/learned about anything related to the casting, filming schedule and airing/broadcast timeframes for Joy of Life Season 2. Feel free to post any news/updates related to this here. Thanks!

Also, feel free to subscribe to the thread get JOL2 updates.

Wang Juan, screenwriter for Joy of Life, shared during his recent interview with Baazar Magazine (Feb 23, 2021), he would be able to finish the script by this year (2021). It is unclear whether he is writing the script for just JOL2 or also JOL3. 

Wang's interview can be accessed here [note: It's written in Chinese]: https://weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404607851699241177

If script gets finished this year, on average filming won't be able to start until June 2022. JOL Season 1 took 8 months to film. So it's likely filming won't be done until 2023. Post-production and getting it approved might take another full year so the fastest Season 2 will be released is late 2023. Hopefully it won't take that long.

I hope I'm still alive.  I'm no spring chicken.

PamelaHannaEikleberry:

I hope I'm still alive.  I'm no spring chicken.

Ha! ha! you are funny!

sjadvocate:

If script gets finished this year, on average filming won't be able to start until June 2022. JOL Season 1 took 8 months to film. So it's likely filming won't be done until 2023. Post-production and getting it approved might take another full year so the fastest Season 2 will be released is late 2023. Hopefully it won't take that long.

Thank You.

There's an interview on Dec 4'20  Zhang Ruo Yun gives update on the most anticipated Joy of Life season 2 will likely start filming in 2021 and we might be able to watch it by end of the year. Finger cross, hope season 2 and 3 as good as season 1.  I got their interview from GQ 2020..check that out.

Xtinew:

There's an interview on Dec 4'20  Zhang Ruo Yun gives update on the most anticipated Joy of Life season 2 will likely start filming in 2021 and we might be able to watch it by end of the year. Finger cross, hope season 2 and 3 as good as season 1.  I got their interview from GQ 2020..check that out.

The interview Wang (the screenwriter) gave was on Feb 23, 2021. He said he'll finish it this year. I hope he finishes it by this summer. If he does they can start filming  Winter 2022 (I heard it takes 4-6 months after script is done to get everything ready for production). Given Season 1 took 8 months to film, I hope they conclude filming by Fall 2022. Then with post-production and passing of censorship/approval hopefully we'll see it sometime in 2023...ideally by summer but fingers crossed at the latest sometime in 2023. 

I hope all that is only a smoke-screen interview, you know, because I want to believe what Zhao Ruo Yun said. Who would wait that long for season 2...not to mention season 3? I mean the anticipation is high right now....the sooner the better before we have cool feet and abandon JOL. There are many other good dramas too, the longer they wait they may lose fan base. I mean also Zhao Ruo Yun and all actors aren't getting any younger and Fan Xian was supposedly like 16 when he first enter the politic? End of the book he supposedly on his 30th. So, the writer made unsatisfactory interview. But ok thanks....if they want to listen to the fans...they should start production soon. 

I really hope you are right too and hope it comes out way earlier than that. Somehow though I feel it's better to prepare for the worse and hope for the best so if it's earlier than we expect, we are happily surprised. Or else..the wait can get unbearable. I believe our male lead's contract for the series is 5 years. So if he signed the contract in 2019, they can only keep him on if they finish everything by 2024. Fingers crossed the screenwriter is working on the script for JOL 2 and 3 and they finish filming JOL 2 and 3 in one go. The book so solid I really don't think it should take that long but he is working on both JOL2 and Young Blood 2 so his time is divided. Let's wait and see what happens.

PamelaHannaEikleberry:

I hope I'm still alive.  I'm no spring chicken.

ha ha ha. Thanks for a good laugh. Have you watched Under the power? you might like it while waiting 

I LOVED UNDER THE POWER!!!  I PROBABLY SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM CHINESE DRAMAS THAT HAVE MORE THAN ONE SEASON.  I'M STILL WAITING FOR The Dark Lord Season 2 .  IT STILL HAS TBA. NO MORE MULTIPLE SEASONS FOR ME,  THERE'S TOO MANY GOOD DRAMAS TO WATCH.  I PUT IN ALL THAT TIME TO WATCH Arthdal Chronicles , FOR WHAT?? AND VAGABOND, FOR WHAT??  KOREANS LEAVE YOU HANGING TOO!!