THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS 

When that scene came the first time I didn't think much of it and just thought that it was a picture of him and his family, but the fact that they covered the man's face was very weird to me, but like I said I didn't think much of it. After finishing the episode I logged in and started reading comments that's when I read other peoples opinions on the topic.

Some say it could be his wife and child who died due to some accident which may or may not have been caused by him. Which could potentially be a possibility since no one knew is whereabouts for 5 years, but in my opinion I don't think he is the type to start a family and not come to the village he loves and show the people he loves. Moreover, if say it was actually his wife and kid who passed away, I highly doubt he would have fallen for the FL so fast. Losing a family isn't something you can just ignore and start a new life in such little time. It can definitely be done but not in such a little time.

Some others say that it could have been his friends family who he wasn't able to save and now he is traumatized. 

There might have been may things I missed to mention or am wrong about certain things, please feel free to add ur opinion on the matter.

I totally agree with you. Why would he fall for Hye jin so easily if he is a widower who's still not over his past love? Also, wasn't he away to study at 'SNU'? Why would he start a family instead of studying at such a young age?

I was also anxious when I read the comments on dramacool but however, his having a wife & child didn't make any sense to me.

I think it was him with his parents. About covering the face of the man in the picture, I think they want to keep his father a mystery for a while. Like in 'It's okay to not be okay' we never knew who was her other & if the mother was dead or alive till ep 13. In fact, we weren't even shown the mother's face till ep 13. Maybe the story would proceed like that & give us a shock or plot twist while revealing his father.