The Romance of Geok Chan and Boon Ok

Snowdrop is indicated to use Romeo and Juliet as an allegorical source, and the couple that comes to mind is the main couple romance of Soo Ho and Young Ro. And although understandably, being the main couple, they do have that certain aspect that parallel the Shakespearean tragedy, I feel that they tend to be more of a face value basis rather than an ideological one.

The one couple that I feel more closer portray the ideological portrayal of Romeo and Juliet is actually the relationships of Boon Ok and Gyeok Chan. Let me explain how and why.

The romance between these two starts very late in the drama, and are mostly relegated to minor side glances. But what makes the romance even remotely viable and shippable may be the shared consciousness between the two. Watching their tragic backstory unfold, and intersect, is enough to illicit sympathy. We sense the homegenized suffering of two kindred souls, that can sense each others pain as if it were their own. Even before the episode of their flirtation was showed, they had already become a stronger couple than that of Kang Moo and Hanna (their relationship feels like a very one sided one that is borne out of a stereotypical portrayal of a hysterical jilted ex-lover). One can even argue that they are the true secondary couple pairing, that is only hindered by them being portrayed as antagonist by the show.

Gyeok Chan and Boon Ok portray the role of star crossed lovers, because their love story is tragic and impossible. They not only belong to conflicting sides, but neither of them have destinies that they can control. While Boon Ok is the only person who can care for her ailing father and thus must survive; Gyeok Chan on the other hand is stuck in a hole of indoctrination of which escape is difficult. In a way, both of them are stuck in their destiny, there is no nepotism or great family name that can help them escape their predicament or elevate their status. In fact this is a defining feature of the two, they both at different times, lament the deficiency of their poor birth, and the difficulty they both are experiencing in life. Both of them also have to defer to people who are given a more higher status due to the statuses of their family, namely Young Ro and Soo Ho.

Tragically, the only way for Boon Ok and Gyeok Chan to escape their forced destinies is to perish. Gyeok Chan seems to value his death as the greatest honor, it seems to be a noble thing for his ideology, but it seems more to me, to Gyeok Chan, it seems to be the one thing he can fully control. Throughout the drama, Soo Ho neuters Gyeok Chan's intentions. He can nary do a thing without Soo Ho's permission. Boon Ok on the other hand, even in a hostage situation where the power balance should be neutralized, she is still made to feel like the lowest rung in society. Which is why, when given the chance to escape her destiny presents itself by way of Cheong Ya, it was not a tough decision for Boon Ok to make. Boon Ok and Gyeok Chan represent two people trying to escape their forced destinies in their own ways. And in doing so, they have found each other, and made them realized that maybe they can find a way to both escape their destinies, and re-write their future. Their love bloomed behind a harsh environment of a plot and setting that would rejoice the star crosses lovers, failures, and would rather see both characters follow their paths to their own demise.

We see that both Boon Ok and Gyeok Chan are actually quite loyal. Although both may look traitorous to the viewers, it's actually quite the contrary. Gyeok Chan's loyalty never lay with Soo Ho, but rather Ms. Choi and the ideology of the NK government, which is why we never see his characterization sway. In Boon Ok's case on the other hand, the viewers and the people of Hosu Dorm expects her to be loyal to them, even considering their mistreatment of her. This is akin to a husband who cheats on her wife constantly, being outraged when her wife ends up sleeping with someone else. But when Boon Ok, eventually let's her guard down, and accept the NK's as her new  "family", we see her be quite loyal to them, and find ways to help them.

In a way, the warring families that wants to keep Gyeok Chan and Boon Ok from forming a romance is the audience of the show, who majority seem to believe that both of these character deserves nothing but sadness and bad karma. While in comparison, there is really no such hindrance for Young Ro and Soo ho, who have their happy ending begged and carpeted by viewers expectation. While the romance of Young Ro is paved by dialogue and magic coffee, Gyeok Chan and Boon Ok faced much more insurmountable odds.

But it's interesting, even with a complete lack of screen time, dialogue or plot devices. There is that genuine sense of connection. Although the two of them do not talk much, they allow their actions to pave the path for the romance. Just like a true romantic couple, Gyeok Chan does thing for Boon Ok without asking, as she does things for him without his prodding. We see that even though their relationship is relegated to nods, side glances, and fleeting eye contact, the fire has never burned brighter between these two star crossed lovers.

And although tragedy is most likely in the path of Boon Ok and Gyeok Chan; it will at least allow them to escape the destiny forced upon them, and hopefully find redemption from the audience somehow, someway.

Aghh! My optimistic ass still hopes for a (happy?) open ending for them...But the way you pointed out the truths...The only two endings I have in mind for them are either they both get separated and go back to their countries (The most plausible happy ending they can have) or they die (most chances for joo)...

Its tragic truly! 

I was visiting their short scenes and clippets on YT, when I noticed how shy joo was when boon ok offered him the cake...or when boon ok was surprised when joo took a stand for her in that church scene, and the way he got flustered when she made an eye contact with him, similing at him after that. Their whispering scene...and of course in that middle of tension with youngro hostage, how joo was so calm and soft spoken with her trying to relax her...

Aghh! They have such great chemistry even with such less scenes together... my only wish is the writer shouldnt let this chemistry go in waste!

What do you think? Would boon ok again trust him after that fake gun scene? 

I like this understanding of Boon ok and Gyeok chan. Yet, there is one thing that I think of in terms of Boon ok and Gyeok Chan that makes them stand out as star-crossed lovers.  Just like how you stated in your previous posts, Boon ok is the actual opposite of Young ro, and similarly, Gyeok chan is different from Soo ho.   Both of them are individuals that are suppressed by their altering characters. Gyeok chan with Soo ho and Boon ok with Young ro.

Gyeok chan and Boon ok's interaction reminded me of Soo ho and Young ro at the beginning of the show. Boon ok does most of the talking just like Young ro and Gyeok chan listens to her and does not say anything that would blow his cover much similar to Soo ho. 

Gyeok chan too did sort of use Boon ok to lead with his mission. Giving her the empty gun and a fake sense of security. Just like how Soo ho used Young ro and her innocence to have a secure place to hide. 

While Soo ho and Young ro present a very idealistic sense of Romeo and Juliet, regardless of the shortcomings from either side they are willing to overcome and be one. Soo ho and Young ro represent the traditional sweet and sad representation of Romeo and Juliet, where both of them want to be with one another yet their situations make it difficult.

While Boon ok and Gyeok chan represent a very dark and grim expression of Romeo and Juliet, the stark opposite to Soo ho and Young ro. Both of their ideologies and fears that are rooted within their character will not allow them to waver for one another. So even if they ideally wanted to be with one another, they won't let themselves act on their wants. This I guess is representative of how unlucky these characters are in general and how their circumstances have not ever allowed them to be selfish.

You know what's interesting? I actually think gyeok chan feels more guilty about holding boon ok hostage than soo ho does.

And he was so happy when they are in the same side.

It was so cute when boon ok wanted to give snacks to Cheong ya and gyeok chan. Broke my heart.

I hope for their happy ending, but fear the audience will riot if they do.

I think maybe gyeok chan didn't know it's empty?

Well said tinkermeaway.

It's really tragic when you think about it.

Its ironic gyeok chan being loyal makes audience hate him, but eun cheol being a traitor makes him a fan favorite.

Even when it's already been pointed out that neither NK or SK are good guys.

In another world loyalty is usually seen as positive and traitors are not.

Thank you :)) and yes it is true. That is the point of this drama. None of these people are good or bad guys. They are used by people who are the greater evil.

Kimsamsoom:

You know what's interesting? I actually think gyeok chan feels more guilty about holding boon ok hostage than soo ho does.

And he was so happy when they are in the same side.

It was so cute when boon ok wanted to give snacks to Cheong ya and gyeok chan. Broke my heart.

I hope for their happy ending, but fear the audience will riot if they do.

I think maybe gyeok chan didn't know it's empty?

I do believe Gyeok chan does feel guilty, but I think Soo ho feels pretty guilty too. I think his whole ideology shift was propelled by him being abandoned and his guilt and feelings towards Young ro. I also think Gyeok chan knew that the gun was empty because that was the same gun Man dong's son tried to shoot Gyeok chan with, in the earlier episode. He was mostly directed by Cheong ya to give the empty gun to Boon ok, but he does feel guilty. 

The more I talk about it Gyeok chan and Boon ok, they sound so much like Young ro and Soo ho but are in a more grave and undesirable situation.

TinkerMeAway:

Thank you :)) and yes it is true. That is the point of this drama. None of these people are good or bad guys. They are used by people who are the greater evil.

That's what I found so weird, clearly the higher ups were portrayed like the way they are so we can measure evil in the show. And yet people still have issues seeing boon ok as a grey character?

In hunger games or battle Royale, no one is seen as truly evil because of self preservation.

The plot may want us to dislike and revile boon ok, but the character the writer has given kim Hye Yoon and her acting prowess has made it impossible to hate her, and instead I want to root for her.

Gyeok Chan and boon ok are the true Romeo and Juliet.