Episode 16 (longest episode: 80 minutes)

Again, I do not speak for the autistic community. I am only trying to explain things, mainly coming from my own experience, and the experience of other autistics who shared their stories and complaints.

No two autistics are the same; and autism is four-dimensional.

Follow me!

1. Is Choi Sang Hyeon, Woo Young Woo's half-brother, autistic too?

Probably. Recent studies are pointing towards autism as a genetic condition hence can be passed down.

a. In one of the previous episodes, their mother, Attorney Tae Soo Mi, showed signs of OCD.

While OCD in itself does not necessarily mean a person is autistic, a 2015-11-11 Danish study of 855,000 people concluded that "individuals first diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders had a 2-fold higher risk of a later diagnosis of OCD, whereas individuals diagnosed with OCD displayed a nearly 4-fold higher risk to be diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders later in life". The study further said that "the observed associations were somewhat stronger for less severe types of autism spectrum disorders without a comorbid diagnosis of mental disabilities". (https://doi.org/10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0141703)

b. Choi Sang Hyeon also showed similar traits and quirks.

• Arranging his gimbap.
  • Skills in computers/programming/coding/hacking. It does not mean if one is a programmer or I.T. that they are autistic, however, these skills and the related jobs, are always in the list of works appropriate for autistic people (you can search this); however it does not mean autistics can not have a job in other fields not in these "lists" (for example, there is indeed a real life openly autistic female attorney).
  • He loves Rubik's Cube and excels in it. Once again, it does not mean if one loves Rubik's Cube and excels in it does it mean they are autistic. But Rubik's Cube is one of the most common puzzle choice (and even used in studies). In this particular scenario (the show), they appear to be dropping hints by using Rubik's Cube. (Extra: a good read about the claim that 'all cubers are autistic' https://sites.psu.edu/3x3cubing/2018/10/03/all-cubers-are-autistic/)
  • Choi Sang Hyeon can not hold looking at people directly for very long.

In the last few scenes from ep15, it already left this impression about Choi Sang Hyeon. If this is what they want to hint at then they did it well.

"Is it possible he is not autistic?" Of course. To make the explanation simpler, (apologies in advance fellow autistics for the terminologies) the less "severe" autism is the harder to detect if one is autistic. Choi Sang Hyeon clearly was not showing the other traits and quirks his big sister has.

2. Work-life balance and being a workaholic

A good point.

3. Tae San Law Firm messenger

Messenger: Especially for you, Attorney Woo…
*he paused and laughed(?)/smirk(?)/degraded(?)*
Messenger: we will introduce you to a professional counselor and Tae San will pay for the counseling fees as well.

I have no idea what that facial expression is called but that was definitely not a good one. (Good job to the actor.)

4. Young Woo and father scene

Well done on acting this scene wherein Young Woo had too much information to process and then she was asked for her opinion by her father.

5. Remember Attorney Jung's words

Attorney Jung: Attorney Woo is not Attorney Jung. Right?
Attorney Jung: You're a completely different person from me so how could I give you an advice?
Attorney Jung: I'm just curious about what you will decide to do because you are not just an ordinary attorney.

6. Joon Ho's confession

There you go. He finally made use of their time apart to look into himself and decide if it is something he really wants, if it is worth it, and if he'll be with her no matter what.

And as expected of Young Woo, she accepted Joon Ho's confession.

See the world through an autistic's eyes.

7. Young Woo's message

Young Woo: I live in an unfamiliar ocean with unfamiliar belugas.
Young Woo: Beause everyone's different from me, it's not easy to adjust and there are lots of whales that hate me too.
Young Woo: But it's okay because this is my life.
Young Woo: Though my life is unusual and peculiar, it's valuable and beautiful.

That is how we (many of us, not 'all') think and feel. Young Woo once again captured and expressed it perfectly. Thank you very much.

See the world through the eyes of autistics.

8.  Literal, pure, and honest

Young Woo: Even if I weren't in front of Attorney Jung, I would say I like it.

It was simple but was packed. No reading between the lines. It just is. Literal, pure, and honest.

9. Young Woo can not describe/identify her emotion

And everything his father suggested was a "no". To an autistic, it has to capture it accurately. I do this a lot myself, LOL.

10. Mission success: revolving doors

And felt her unidentified emotion again and found her perfect answer:

"A sense of fulfillment."

끝. (The end.)

Again, I do not speak for the autistic community. I am only trying to explain things, mainly coming from my own experience, and the experience of other autistics who shared their stories and complaints.

No two autistics are the same; and autism is four-dimensional.

Follow me!

Thank you for your comments.  Can you please explain to me the cat analogy that Jun Ho said about how his love for Young Woo is like loving a cat? I don't have a cat, but I kind of understand him because cats seems like aloof creatures that do whatever they want, seem to live in their own world, but yet, their owners still love them like crazy.  Is he saying that Young Woo is like a cat?

Thank you very much :D

I appreciate your posts weekly. Hope to see you in other dramas :)

I've  appreciated every one of your episodic posts! You are the voice that we needed to hear on this series. Thank you for sharing.  

Ladymeow2020:

Thank you for your comments.  Can you please explain to me the cat analogy that Jun Ho said about how his love for Young Woo is like loving a cat? I don't have a cat, but I kind of understand him because cats seems like aloof creatures that do whatever they want, seem to live in their own world, but yet, their owners still love them like crazy.  Is he saying that Young Woo is like a cat?

Sadly, I have no idea either. Hehe.

If I will take a guess, probably he was referring to how his feelings for Young Woo is like the feelings of a cat owner for their cat who does whatever is comfortable for them. There were even assumptions that cats have autism … which was not proven … so probably it was about how cats behave.

I think another clue is, if I remember correctly, Young Woo said it was not appropriate to compare her to a cat because she likes him too and more than willing go out of her way to express it for him. Maybe because cats generally are not expressive of their love for their owners and do whatever they want. I'm just guessing. ^_^

Hmm… there was one more thing I was going to say but I lost my line of thought. Apologies. I'm typing this while watching "My ID is Gangnam Beauty".

1259:
Thank you very much :D

I appreciate your posts weekly. Hope to see you in other dramas :)

FanFanX:
I've appreciated every one of your episodic posts! You are the voice that we needed to hear on this series. Thank you for sharing.

BWMDL:
Thank you!

Thank you too! And apologies if something was offending, it was never my intention.

Let's hope the world becomes a better place!