BASIC INFO

LIST OF CASES

A COLLECTION OF LITTLE DETAILS + EXPLANATION

BASIC INFO

Li Xiang Yi 

- Defeated Demon of the Blood Realm at 15

- Established Sigu Sect at 17

- Became the head of martial arts world at 20

- Fought with Di Fei Sheng 10 years ago to avenge the death of Shan Gu Dao, his senior.

- Has two swords:

Shaoshi/ Young Master Sword (the rigid sword) 

Wenjing/ Neck-Cutting Sword (the flexible sword)

How to differentiate? Shaoshi has a straight line on the blade and the hilt edge is a bit protruding while Wenjing only has plain blade  and the hilt edge has a hole.

- Skills: 

Yangzhouman

Dragon in Snow Ep 27 

Whirling Steps Ep 32

Di Fei Sheng

- Head of the Jinyuan Alliance of the Cult of Devil

- Accused of killing Shan Gu Dao, Li Xiang Yi’s senior

- Skill: Beifeng Baiyang/ Sorrow Wind Poplar

Fang Duo Bing

- Young master of Tianji Manor

- Son of Minister Fang & Lady He

- Claimed himself as Li Xiangyi’s disciple

- Was in arranged marriage term with Princess Zhaoling

Master of Baichuan Academy (Also known as Fo Bi Bai Shi)

This academy handles the affairs of people who knows martial arts.

- Yun Bi Qiu (the director)

- Ji Hanfo

- Bai Jiangchun

- Shishui

LIST OF CASES

Here are 10 big cases that requires our Lian Hua Investigation Alliance (Lian Hua the sly fox + two free loaders)  to solve!

Case name + EP number + light description in spoiler tag included.

Source: MLC Official Weibo

Case 1: Lingshan Sect Recognized Child | EP 1

The head of Lingshan Sect ascended to golden body and the soul returned at midnight!

Case 2: Yucheng Mystery Case | EP 3

Outside of Yucheng, strange shadow appears repeatedly and a to-be-married woman was found in a chest!

Case 3: Yipin's Tomb Lost Treasure | EP 6

People who go down the tomb unexpectedly not return alive!

Li Xiangyi's past | EP 8

Part of LXY past with Sigu Sect.

Chaotic life of Li Lianhua starts here xD

Li Xiangyi's Red Silk Sword Dance is ep 9 (you're welcome  :D)

Case 4: Cailianzhuang Unknown Wedding Dress/ Cailianzhuang Wedding Dress That Kills People | EP 10

The bride who wears the wedding dress died one after another at the bottom of the lake!!

Li Lianhua (Hua Hua Xiao Mei :D) in wedding dress is in ep 11 (you're welcome  :D

Case 5: Yuanbao Villa Lost Treasure | EP 14

Yuanbao villa's secret room homicide and the legendary secret treasure dissappeared!

The Entanglement of Past & Present: EP 17 

The appearance of Jiao Liqiao in Qiao Wanmian's wedding caused an entanglement of past & present. 

Case 6: Female Residence | EP 21

A mysterious female residence opened a free banquet and a frightening scene appeared in red autumn leaves forest!

Case 7: Shishou Village's Head Bane | EP 25

Everywhere around Shishou Village is strange and the quiet place unexpectedly besieged by 'strange creatures'!

Case 8: Xiaoyuan Town's King of Hell Wedding | EP 28

Yanwang married off with a generous betrothal gift but the chosen maiden can't escape calamity!

Case 9: Embroidered Human Skin | EP 32

Newly wed groom becomes embroidered human skin on the wedding night!

Di Feisheng's History | EP 34

A revelation of Di Feisheng's childhood and the battle with 'The Mastermind'.

Case 10: Imperial Palace Bliss Pagoda | EP 35

A century-old pagoda that disappeared overnight!

Final Arc | EP 37

The last battle against the big boss.

A COLLECTION OF LITTLE DETAILS + EXPLANATION

Please note that I collected different opinions from passerby/ fans of the series including myself to help us understand the drama more. If there’s source, I’ll credit it. If I can’t find, then it’ll be from general fans. Everything written down below not necessarily true, so please comment nicely :)

EP 1

The sword used to stab DFS was Shaoshi. It sunk into the sea afterwards while Wenjing still with LXY.

EP 5

1. LLH used Tranquilizing Incense to help with sleep because remember in EP 1, the rage patient said LLH coughed so much at night that the whole street could hear it. But, if FDB fell asleep, why LLH still awake? It’s probably because the incense is not working much to LLH anymore.There’s another possibility that LLH is testing the incense on FDB while trying to drive him out.

2. It’s possible that LLH has start to lose taste sense, that’s why he need cooking recipe when he cooks. Logically, if he spent 10 years for cooking, there’s no way he can’t master it. But why he still needs a recipe? We also got to see FDB commented on the food he cooked which part he could improve. It’s possible that LLH is not a bad cook, but because he’s gradually losing his taste sense that the food is not delicious.

EP 11

1. The lotus seed soup with chilies; it’s supposedly lotus seed soup with red dates and wolf-berries. It’s highly possible that LLH can’t differentiate among it anymore because they look similar. It’s a proof that his smell and taste sense are declining. Here are comparison pictures:

It’s possible that after FDB said it’s chilies, LLH just change the name to be ‘Spicy wolf-berry lotus seed soup’.

How it’s supposedly be: 

Interestingly, wolf-berries also look like chilies. It can easily be mistaken.

EP 13-16

All the point written here are credited to the respective weibo acc user in link.
https://weibo.com/1772472327/4928241687338085

1. From psychology pov, LLH seems like lost motivation to live after he found Shan Gudao corpse because literally that's his mission all this time.

2. From physical pov, his body is slowly deteriorating after the incident at Baichuan Court. We can see after that case, LLH put a charcoal basket beside him and put on thick clothes at Cailianzhuang case. It's a hint that he's not in good condition.

3. There are 2 conditions to help LLH. Firstly, helps him find motivation to live. Secondly, helps him to cure his body.

4. DFS realized all this. After all it seems he's not that bad. So, the first step he used was to find whatever cure available to help LLH. Although it's a bit harsh on him, but we see on Yuanbao Villa arc, it seems LLH condition improved a bit because he doesn't need to wear thick clothes anymore, can perform martial art in ep 16,and his cooking become delicious  (proof: Miss Su & FDB eating together in ep 15. FDB said he never cook that meal before while Miss Su even ask him to cook again in another time).

5. Secondly, DFS gave some hints about Shan Gudao death that doesn't seem simple to trigger LLH motivation to keep living. He gave hints of FDB identity too. Seeming that it's still not enough to trigger LLH, he went to last resort of threatening using FDB life by injecting Gang Qi into FDB. Also, another theory is, DFS may knows that only Yangzhouman can help suppress the Gang Qi. So, at the same time he's hoping/betting that FDB will learn Yangzhouman which later on will be helpful for LLH in the future when his body become totally weak. So it's like hitting 2 birds with 1 stone.

6. DFS grew up in harsh atmosphere. So maybe he's developing a persona that he doesn't know how to express kindness properly. Thus, we saw him expressing kindness but in harsh way.

7. There's a deep meaning from LLH line when he said there's someone DFS wants him to save, only LLH can save him but he doesn't want to save that person. Literally that person who should be saved is Li Xiangyi.

8. An example of good word play;Li Xiangyi skill is 'Yangzhouman' (扬州慢)which means 'Yangzhou Slow'. When Li Lianhua is making name, he just twist it to be 'Suzhoukuai'(苏州快) that means 'Suzhou Fast. Yangzhou and Suzhou are prefecture name.

EP 21 - 24

1. Li Lianhua used more layer of clothes when going up the mountain area. The mountain are colder than normal place, he is sensitive to cold.

2. From ep 24, we can see him dozes off while waiting Fang Duo Bing to dig the soil. It is urgent time and very important. Why can he dozes off? The theory is his body condition has start to deteriorate considering he only has 4 months left at this moment. Thus, we can see him a bit tired and sleepy than usual.

EP 40 

1. The reason why LLH knew there was pawn ticket in Yuanbao Villa case probably because he once pawned his own sect leader token back then.

2. There was a rope on LLH's bed when FDB entered the Lotus Building after LLH left. For sure, FDB tied LLH in order to avoid him escape, but LLH still escaped as usual.

3. In the series, LLH hair accesories was made based on theme of wilting lotus/ leaves/ pod to depict LLH's health has been deteriorating. As in ep 40, the one he used on the boat was of wilting lotus.

PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL

TRANSLATION

From freshly dressed fury horse,
standing on top of martial arts' summit as a sect leader of Sigu Sect,
until down to Southeast Caiju as Jianghu's travelling doctor,
no matter it is the upright life,
or walk down the mysterious altar of life during complicated times,
he always persist to himself,
not drown in past achievement,
not live in other people expectation,
nor live in definition of surrounding people.

Ohh thank you for this.  This will be so helpful for later when I do a rewatch. 

Pangily:

Ohh thank you for this.  This will be so helpful for later when I do a rewatch. 

You're welcome! Yes it's worth for re-watch and will be easier this way sorted case by case ?

Where did u get the name of the upcoming cases?  Looking at the name of Case 10 it seems to be the final arc of this drama. Probably the keys that Jiao Liqiao is collecting is to open that pagoda.

Muchas gracias excelente informacion 

Luffy:

Where did u get the name of the upcoming cases?  Looking at the name of Case 10 it seems to be the final arc of this drama. Probably the keys that Jiao Liqiao is collecting is to open that pagoda.

I got all the name from promotional material in Mysterious Lotus Casebook Official Weibo account. Yes that final case is a big case that has quite heavy involvement of Jiao Liqiao. If I'm not mistaken, the keys are to open a treasure, not the pagoda. 

LotusRayne:

Thanks so much for this. I have the biggest weakness for mystery dramas in a historical/ wuxia setting. It must be something to do with the atmosphere? I've just always loved them and MLC is by far one of the best I've seen. I've mainly been keeping notepad handy to jot down various details so I don't forget them but this will be invaluable when I inevitably watch it again. 

Yes. There are many small details here that really need us to pause or keep focus so we won't miss any information. 

Thank you for listing the cases and other interesting extraneous details about this series.  

ksk79:

Thank you for listing the cases and other interesting extraneous details about this series.  

You're welcome. Honestly they have many details that I may overlook or not write here. Anyhow MLC is a drama worth to watch and enjoy multiple times :D