source: Photo by Artem Beliaikin from Pexels 

Nice to meet you!

The world is beautiful through language and diversity. 

• You might want to boast the multiple languages you know or wish to learn...
  • The tools and resources you are actually using.
  • What motivates you to pursue this path? obligation? work? self-interest?
  • Do you prefer writing or phonetic?
  • Do you care about semantic?
  • What medium are you using? 
  • Do you like travelling? meeting people?
  • Doing scanlation? translation? dubbing? editing? filming?
  • :-) Anything goes here.

Online learning resources, guides and tools to be added at a later time.

"ABRUTI"

yup that was French! Though we don't use it in Canada. At least not in my town lol. We have other alternatives... "con", "salaud", "imbécile", ... don't use it for greeting, guys, you'll lose your teeth. 😉

So anyone interested in that language?

Currently there are 29 countries speaking it.

source: https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/countries_by_languages.htm#French

So let's dig a bit and show some love for the Japanese language.  

Not only is Yu smexy AF for speaking it, but the translation to English was on-off through all the drama. 

Let's share some case studies here.

So in Season 1 Episode 1, ZSY was cursing after GSD. He being embarrassed for being saved by his very enemy.

Well in that frame, the submitted translation was "I'll never forgive him!"  

But that is inaccurate. 

ZSY simply said: "absolutely unforgivable". 

There was no subject, no verb, nor complement

In my book, it is a bad translation. 

Naturally, "zetai yurusenai" is perfectly acceptable. Besides, why would a young adult of 21 years old, speak fully constructed sentences with his buddies in a context of anger?

A quick note here is that Yu said "yurusan" ... which is confirmed with the WeTV Japanese original caption. Yu dropped the " " at the end. Maybe it's an "Aichi-ken" way of speaking? We certainly have a similar speaking pattern in other prefectures.  That makes the language more diverse and beautiful.

I love that both the character and the actor is bilingual! At first I was confused when Shu Yi spoke and wrote in Japanese and speculated to myself that perhaps Taiwanese young people mix languages like, say, in the Philippines. But then I remembered that his father was Japanese! The absolute best moment was when he and Shi De was hanging out in the last episode and Shi De switched to Japanese in the middle of a sentence. I thought it was so romantic that he put in the effort learned his lover's other language! I only wish that the subtitles had made that clear, like maybe using italics for when someone speaks in another language than the main one in the story. 

I haven't given the jp–eng translations much thought, but I'll check it out if I rewatch the series. 

LOL I lost count of how many times I actually watched it. While this drama storyline isn't novel but the rewatch value is really high for me.  XD 

To be fair, "I'll never forgive him" isn't too far off either. Viewers in need of translation might not be picky about it.  

I have few friends with whom I do online drama watching party together and they actually don't care as long as they can grasp the general meaning of it. So I do get it too, different people, different needs. Besides, wording and vocabulary also vary from one region/country to another. A good example that I can think of is the English subtitles for another Chinese drama called "Guardian" with ZYL and Bai Yu. There were two versions of the translations. While I do have my favourite, both are acceptable. 

From my stand on the topic, I care for the source material from which the translation comes from. 

In this case, the drama writer or Yu has chosen to say the lines that way.  That would become the script material. I would rather go for a more faithful translation, if available.  Because through it, the viewers and the translators got some significant insight into the cultural background of the characters. If care and details were put into the drama work production, I wish to contribute by sharing my input about it. Linguistic is a complex subject, but its complexity generates an appreciation for communication. I found it beautiful.

I still appreciate though whoever provided the subtitles for WBL. That was hard work.  Capturing, translating, timing, regardless if it was for a monetary gain or for pleasure, I still value the time they inserted into giving it to us all and to all the fans translators on various community platforms. For which I have yet to do for the WBL community.  🙂

And to thank you for joining me on this topic, let's share some good ones.

source:  ??? imgur LOL

🤣🤣🤣

The English subs are so bad, I've been learning Mandarin these past couple of months, haha.

我是一個笨蛋。

Agnes Fon Marten:

The English subs are so bad, I've been learning Mandarin these past couple of months, haha.

我是一個笨蛋。

Don't be too harsh on yourself LOL.  I actually don't use a depreciative term like 笨蛋 to talk about myself ( or about others actually). It really diminishes the effort that we are making. Be proud of your own progress, Agnes.  

For Mandarin, I use a dictionary on my phone Pleco and read Chinese caption while watching Cdrama so it helps with my character reading and memorizing. But my hearing for Mandarin is still very bad. I rely on Chinese subtitles way too much. But it's okay, one step at a time. Baby steps are okay.

I actually started out with this app called Hello Chinese, it helped me a lot with pronunciation. But doing translation from Mandarin to English actually accelerates my learning curve. It is always an intensive brainwork session though hahaha

Jurianne:

Don't be too harsh on yourself LOL.  I actually don't use a depreciative term like 笨蛋 to talk about myself ( or about others actually). It really diminishes the effort that we are making. Be proud of your own progress, Agnes.  

For Mandarin, I use a dictionary on my phone Pleco and read Chinese caption while watching Cdrama so it helps with my character reading and memorizing. But my hearing for Mandarin is still very bad. I rely on Chinese subtitles way too much. But it's okay, one step at a time. Baby steps are okay.

I actually started out with this app called Hello Chinese, it helped me a lot with pronunciation. But doing translation from Mandarin to English actually accelerates my learning curve. It is always an intensive brainwork session though hahaha

Well, the thing is, as a foreigner, idk how serious a word it is. Google translates it as fool, so that sounded pretty innocent to me, haha. It’s actually a line from the series. It’s fun to memorise random lines, you know. Wake me up in the middle of the night and I’ll recite the 給我 / 不敢嗎 scene. (I’ve got other things to do, I swear!)

I’ll look up the app, tho I’m always out of storage space and stick with web versions of everything — insta, youtube, whatever. What I’ve been doing so far is Duolingo + youtube vids + songs. It’s kind of weird how I can easily recognise a bunch of characters at this point but wouldn’t know how to write them XD. Traditional characters sure look neat but they’re a pain to write.