Just wanted to say as well that I’m sure Planoy does have good aspects of her stories. Every writer has their strength (Mame’s is character development). But I can’t say what Planoy’s is as I havent read the source material. So currently, I cannot confidently say what strengths are Planoy’s work and what strengths are the scriptwriters’ work. If anyone here has read the source material, i’d love to hear what y’all think the strength of Planoy’s novels are?

is it the relationship dynamics? The ratio of cuteness to angst? The friend groups? The spice? The character growth? The relatability? The humor? Etc. Or is her strength in the fact that she writes these relationships that you think are **meant** to be a bit uncomfy for some reason?

nevin:

yayyy, i wanna join too! i'm happy that we're getting more and more gl dramas <3

Welcome!! Lol at your timing. We dont get in debates often in the forum. 

What GL are you most looking forward to?

@kardasx - sorry on mobile so too long to quote T_T

As for the viewer counts of the episodes/parts, I dont know how much i would consider them as stats. Because a lot of that is likely simply be replays. And of course kisses and soft moments are more replayable than angst and sadness. It doesnt mean that the surrounding story and struggles wouldnt be appreciated. So saying chemistry is first and foremost is a bit strong. Couples are stronger for everything they went through together. And i personally much prefer the context of how we get from Point A to Point B, rather than simply what happens at Point B. The script and original story def do have a part to play in how lasting the impression of these characters and their relationships are. Otherwise theyd be little more than a cute video found on social media that simply wont last as long in memory as a story would.

AthenaTheStorierX:

@kardasx - sorry on mobile so too long to quote T_T

As for the viewer counts of the episodes/parts, I dont know how much i would consider them as stats. Because a lot of that is likely simply be replays. And of course kisses and soft moments are more replayable than angst and sadness. It doesnt mean that the surrounding story and struggles wouldnt be appreciated. So saying chemistry is first and foremost is a bit strong. Couples are stronger for everything they went through together. And i personally much prefer the context of how we get from Point A to Point B, rather than simply what happens at Point B. The script and original story def do have a part to play in how lasting the impression of these characters and their relationships are. Otherwise theyd be little more than a cute video found on social media that simply wont last as long in memory as a story would.

Lol Show Me Love is a perfect example of that. They didn't really spend much time on the writing and just gave us Englot. The ship is pretty cute and great but personally the lack of actual story or anything gave me a headache.

Sidenote @Athena that's the only other non-Ploy adaptation that's a full length Thai GL series. The only other one that currently sits next to Love Senior (and 23.5 but that one's still currently airing)

Oops. Forgot that Show Me Love did indeed make it past the miniseries mark. Thanks for the reminder!

AthenaTheStorierX:

Welcome!! Lol at your timing. We dont get in debates often in the forum. 

What GL are you most looking forward to?

hiiii! i'm so excited for pluto and it's mainly because of namtan, my stunning celebrity crush for yearssss. in gmmtv 2024, i was watching the live streaming and when i saw her in a GL trailer i was the happiest one 

nevin:

hiiii! i'm so excited for pluto and it's mainly because of namtan, my stunning celebrity crush for yearssss. in gmmtv 2024, i was watching the live streaming and when i saw her in a GL trailer i was the happiest one 

They had their Pluto fittings today!! :D

leea:

They had their Pluto fittings today!! :D

aren't they the prettiest 💘

nevin:

aren't they the prettiest ?

They're both so gorgeous. I can't wait to see the fitting photos! 

leea:

They're both so gorgeous. I can't wait to see the fitting photos! 

OH MA GAWD THEY'RE HERE ALREADY-

leea:
Lol Show Me Love is a perfect example of that. They didn't really spend much time on the writing and just gave us Englot. The ship is pretty cute and great but personally the lack of actual story or anything gave me a headache.

Whenever someone mentioned Show Me Love, my first thought would always be, “what the hell were they thinking?” SML has an interesting premise and good settings, but with a poor script, terrible direction, and messy story structure, it turned out to be simply bad (if not a disaster lol), so there’s almost nothing to remember about it. Yes, there's Englot acting all cute and they kissed. Well, there are plenty of their videos and livestreams online to simp over them anyway. lol  

AthenaTheStorierX:
The script and original story def do have a part to play in how lasting the impression of these characters and their relationships are. Otherwise theyd be little more than a cute video found on social media that simply wont last as long in memory as a story would.

I also believe that script and original story really play a part in a drama series, regardless of how good or bad the drama is going to turn out. It’s the core of a drama or movie. I don’t think that just because it’s GL (which is mostly romance), the studios should simply take the script and story lightly. No one likes garbage drama series, even if they have a great line-up of actors.

In my opinion, Sleep With Me is a well-executed GL. It has good direction, organized story structure, great chemistry between the actresses, good portrayal and representation of characters, and most importantly, a good script and story development.

I do believe that Planoy's great number of published novels (not self-published) and GAP being chosen as the first full length thai GL to be adapted (along with the rest of her life's work) point to her being more loved than hated, especially considering that GL is at a newborn stage, meaning we're not yet at a point where producers and directors would choose as the first GL work to be adapted something risky by a disliked author. What they'd pick is a novel by an author who's popular.

As for Be Mine, I called it anomalous because it does indeed stand out among many for its mysterious behind the scenes drama and because the GL dramas that seem like they won't come out are fewer than the ones that seem to be on a good trajectory. Plus other non-Planoy as well as original works are indeed being adapted without issues so the link between Be Mine's problems and Planoy tbh seems rather weak to me.
Also Planoy having written more GL than any other thai author and being rather popular does naturally lead to more of her works being adapted. I don't see it as favoritism but rather math and reasonable decision making from studios when it comes to choosing how to establish a genre that has historically proven to be significantly weaker than het and BL.

To be clear though, I see Chanoy's works as fun popcorn dramas to watch with your brain turned off lol They are telenovelas at heart, nothing more. However, Show Me Love, Love Senior and 23.5 aren't intellectual works either.
As of now the difference between one drama and the other for me has been about how entertaining the main couple was but I'm still waiting for a thai GL that's not just entertaining but will provide a serious story free of cliches and exaggerated acting.
Since Sleep with Me was mentioned I'll say that while I found the main pairing to be just okay, I did appreciate how grounded it was.

leea:

OH MA GAWD THEY'RE HERE ALREADY-

THEY'RE SO INSANE FOR THIS

LITERALLY NO MERCY FOR SAPPHICS WORLDWIDE

AthenaTheStorierX:
So saying chemistry is first and foremost is a bit strong. Couples are stronger for everything they went through together. And i personally much prefer the context of how we get from Point A to Point B, rather than simply what happens at Point B.

Sure, story is important. But even with simple story it can be good drama. I say simple, not bad... imho Show Me Love had bad and messed story and I even didn't feel the chemistry of mains (maybe I am alone and maybe it is because I didn't watch reedited version). With simple story I mean something like She loves to cook and She loves to eat - they just cook and eat and it is cute (I don't remember it in details), but their chemistry was very good. 

Okay... I agree with replays, so just number of views is not determining. But it shows, that people return to the drama to replay scenes and do not forget it just after the last scene.