I've had some people tell me that there wasn't any blackface in ep1, or that they don't see it and think it was unintentional, that it was just the ink, etc. China, having a lesser Black population and a different culture as to compared to Western countries, really doesn't excuse it. It's also not like they are living on the moon and that there is no chance for them to ever know that this is mocking Black people, especially because it also influences their stance in colourism.

I hope you can all just learn and accept that there was something done wrong here, that's really the only thing I wish for. I don't even expect anyone to drop now and boycott this, just to raise your awareness for things like this when they happen. 

Please, let's not assume that the people involved with and in this scene didn't know what was happening, they may all have a different reason why they had a hand in it or why it wasn't stopped, but it's really too obvious.

It's really not to deny. 

Edit: 

Guys, really. I would criticize this scene if she was simply wearing coal mask, or IF it was only the ink. 

Let me give you a different picture that wouldn't have been problematic:  sunglasses.

She could've simply worn sunglasses instead of the eye patches, and it wouldn't be blackface anymore.

However, for her disguise they not only chose the ink - which in itself wouldn't be problematic, but they also had to include the eye patches, and they left a wider space for her lips, so that they appear bigger. It's the combination of all three of those that make it blackface. 

China has a history of blackface that is used to mock Black people for their darker skin tone. They are not new to the concept of blackface, and this scene was intentionally written and created to reproduce this image.

And also, white face does not exist, because nobody is mocking white people or people of lighter skin for being white or fair.  Every "white face" done by Black people are truly just criticism of blackface, because it shows how ridiculous it is when white people do it.

Just one of the many articles on Blackface and anti-Black racism in China:

https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/02/18/covid-blackface-tv-chinas-racism-problem-runs-deep

girl lmao chinese paint their face in white Will you call them out on white face? please this is becoming annoying

cdrama addict:

girl lmao chinese paint their face in white Will you call them out on white face? please this is becoming annoying

No. Because it is not the same thing. Please stop being obtuse.

I do think they could've picked a different eye cover...

There is so much prejudice and bs in this plot that I can't even....
That blackface thing was so terrible. And the classical "I think I'm gay let's go to the hospital cause I'm crazy" it's..... bizarre. 

This was not black face. Black face is when someone who isn't black paints their face black to mock or portray a black person. This was just her wearing black ink to hid her face, nothing else. That like saying anyone that isn't black that wears a charcoal face mask is doing black face... Which is not true, at all.

Olivia:

This was not black face. Black face is when someone who isn't black paints their face black to mock or portray a black person. This was just her wearing black ink to hid her face, nothing else. That like saying anyone that isn't black that wears a charcoal face mask is doing black face... Which is not true, at all.

It is and it's really damn obvious. You can't just ignore the things above her eyes with the combination of her red lips and then argue it wasn't blackface. It's not only the ink. 

Lovely:

It is and it's really damn obvious. You can't just ignore the things above her eyes with the combination of her red lips and then argue it wasn't blackface. It's not only the ink. 

Olivia has the right perspective.

Not everyone in the world lives in the same reality that you do. 

Just because you have this understanding of blackface and it's historical racial context in the world you live in, doesn't mean this has the same resonance from a production out of China.

I get it. I can understand where you are coming from. I understand why you don't understand why this isn't blackface.

But I don't agree this is what you assume it to be.

People elsewhere in the world can put dark material on their face, and it's not necessarily blackface in the context that you understand it.

People elsewhere in the world say the word 'neige' (say it out loud), without it being racist.

Try to be a little more tolerant of other cultures.

10katie01:

Olivia has the right perspective.

Not everyone in the world lives in the same reality that you do. 

Just because you have this understanding of blackface and it's historical racial context in the world you live in, doesn't mean this has the same resonance from a production out of China.

I get it. I can understand where you are coming from. I understand why you don't understand why this isn't blackface.

But I don't agree this is what you assume it to be.

People elsewhere in the world can put dark material on their face, and it's not necessarily blackface in the context that you understand it.

People elsewhere in the world say the word 'neige' (say it out loud), without it being racist.

Try to be a little more tolerant of other cultures.

Respectfully you are terrible. Actually everyone does live in a similar reality. I cannot stand people who use this excuse “it doesn’t mean the same thing in asia” RAcism is RAcism. Please google “history of blackface in China” and you will see it.https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-43081218

And if u are not black and are on here trying to say what is and isn’t black face you are insane. 

Baddiestalli:
Respectfully you are terrible.

Hypocrisy is one short simple sentence.

Baddiestalli:
Actually everyone does live in a similar reality.

Tell that to the people who believe that Trump won the election. Or that the earth is flat. Or that god exists. Or that twerking is actually a dance move and not excessively horny people offering anal. Or that pink is a wonderful colour. Or that ... etcetera etcetera.

Baddiestalli:
Please google

...the very article you link to contains this sentence.

"Some observers have pointed out that this sketch would not have been intended as offensive to Africans."

Baddiestalli:
And if u are not black and are on here trying to say what is and isn’t black face you are insane.

A sentence that was both racist and segregational. Congratulations on becoming the thing you're fighting against! Race is supposed to only be a social construct, yet here you are excluding others because of it. You little racist you!!

10katie01:

Tell that to the people who believe that Trump won the election. Or that the earth is flat. Or that god exists. Or that twerking is actually a dance move and not excessively horny people offering anal. Or that pink is a wonderful colour. Or that ... etcetera etcetera.

"Some observers have pointed out that this sketch would not have been intended as offensive to Africans."

A sentence that was both racist and segregational. Congratulations on becoming the thing you're fighting against! Race is supposed to only be a social construct, yet here you are excluding others because of it. You little racist you!!

You’re so weird seek help!

10katie01:

I have no idea how you quoted separate parts so here’s my answers to you’re paragraphs

A) none of what you just said has anything to do with what we are talking about. Using a strawman does not make you correct.

B)yes and i posted that article knowing that. If you don’t understand the difference  intent vs impact it does not matter what the intent was if it offended people. They did a black face sketch without intending to harm black people which is just laughable.

C) it’s also not. Racist or segregation to be able to see that if you’re not a certain race you should have no fucking opinion or say on what is offensive to that race. It’s common sense. And I know you’re quite because I don’t know any other race which wouldn’t understand this. as a black person I don’t go around saying what is offensive to Asian people or Hispanic people. Common sense. Because how would I know? 

Again please seek help.  I’m not going to argue with a non black person about racism towards black peoples because YOUR giving racism right now. Enjoy your day!

Baddiestalli:
Common sense. Because how would I know? 

I truly love you and your comments. 

Baddiestalli:
They did a black face sketch without intending to harm black people which is just laughable.

I keep saying this, but they just think the people that did it are just living in a different reality where anti-Black racism isn't harmful. With their history of blackface and anti-Black racism, there is no freaking way this wasn't intentional, it's just not possible.

And I just found out how to quote separate parts myself. You mark the parts you want to quote, and then there should pop a "Quote tag/sign up above. Click on it, and it shows up in the reply box.

Ooh thank you! And thank you so much for this post. It’s sad that some people truly don’t understand how traumatic it is to try to watch a show to have fun and escape life for a little while and then get be hit with blatant racism for literally no reason!! Then have people downplay it ?.  I’m glad I can skip this show without it having to hit me in the face! 

and retweet about the HISTORY of black face and anti black racism. I don’t see how people gloss over this and use the excuse of “ different realities” they should   learn history and realise how much colonialism destroyed black and brown people and how literally every country values LIGHTER skin over DARKER. even in Asian culture this is ridiculously pravlent yet people have the AUDACITY to say DIFFERENT REALITIES? OMG  NOPE WE ARE THE same LUV

thank you again for saving me from the trauma of this drama ❤️❤️

Lovely:

I truly love you and your comments. 

I keep saying this, but they just think the people that did it are just living in a different reality where anti-Black racism isn't harmful. With their history of blackface and anti-Black racism, there is no freaking way this wasn't intentional, it's just not possible.

And I just found out how to quote separate parts myself. You mark the parts you want to quote, and then there should pop a "Quote tag/sign up above. Click on it, and it shows up in the reply box.