@Kimsamsoom What a wonderful dive into the drama! You have written a great character sketch about Boon Ok and I loved how you have interpreted the theme of power when it comes to her character's arc. Keep writing posts like this :-)

MastAmma:

@Kimsamsoom What a wonderful dive into the drama! You have written a great character sketch about Boon Ok and I loved how you have interpreted the theme of power when it comes to her character's arc. Keep writing posts like this :-)

Thanks!

I like your detailed description of Boon ok and the depth of her character. I do agree with what you are saying. Yet, I have one point to highlight. Like you stated for most of the show, I thought Boon ok was smart and opportunistic when she needed to be. Yet, after the release of the last episode, I felt a little different. I had the idea that Boon ok's fight for power and trying to find a space for herself was ideally to protect herself and she understood the larger situation that is outside them. Unfortunately in the last episode when she was trying to contact the ANSP and tell them the situation in the dorm is when I thought  'are you seriously going to rely on individuals who were the sole cause of your sister's demise?'. I hope Boon ok's character does not jeopardize her safety and wellbeing just for her to have some power.  If her character is supposed to be this young bitter girl who is out to get power in whatever way possible, then she isn't much different than the other girls at the dorm who are dreaming about insignificant things while in danger. Currently, the only people who understand the gravity of the situation are Soo ho, the spies, Mrs. Pi, Gang moo, Cheong ya and Young ro to some extent.

She craves for respect within the dorm mates, she doesn't necessarily want to be more than them, but just the same. She wanted to be with people who respected her. But when Cheong ya severed that bond, she realizes she was just living a fantasy world where a person like her would have power. She was just day dreaming that there are people who may respect her. So she is ushered back to reality and reminded of her need for self preservation to take care of her father.

Her contacting the ansp to me felt like she realizes she has no allies within the dorm as well, since it was shown that her ties to the NK was false. And since she didn't experienced first hand the torture ms. Pi endured, she may not believe the atrocities of the ansp. That is why in EP. 1 she is a willing participant to help find the spy. 

She may have sensed that she will be turned in for being a traitor by the likes of Hye roung. And so she contacted the Ansp to ensure that they will save her when the time comes. After her fantasy was destroyed she went back to self preservation mode.

True. She has not faced what Mrs. Pi has faced, therefore she would not know what the ansp is capable of. I just hope her character does not put herself in danger because of her insecurity. I'm not saying she has to trust those directing her, rather she just has to look out for herself and not cause more damage to herself. My first thought when she was siding with Cheong ya was, 'these people are going to sweep you off once they've gotten what they want.'

Like girl, you've already gone through so much, just get out of there alive.

TinkerMeAway:

True. She has not faced what Mrs. Pi has faced, therefore she would not know what the ansp is capable of. I just hope her character does not put herself in danger because of her insecurity. I'm not saying she has to trust those directing her, rather she just has to look out for herself and not cause more damage to herself. My first thought when she was siding with Cheong ya was, 'these people are going to sweep you off once they've gotten what they want.'

Like girl, you've already gone through so much, just get out of there alive.

Unfortunately, I don't foresee a good ending for boon ok. She may have to martyr herself to fully redeem herself in everyone eyes, including the audience.

Almost nobody feels sympathy for boon ok at the moment. Which for me is a tragedy.

Kimsamsoom:

Unfortunately, I don't foresee a good ending for boon ok. She may have to martyr herself to fully redeem herself in everyone eyes, including the audience.

Almost nobody feels sympathy for boon ok at the moment. Which for me is a tragedy.

Unfortunately, everyone (including the audience) has double standards for what is morally right for each character, while a lot of characters are morally grey. Yet, Boon ok receives the most flack out of all of them. Even if her character is to be sacrificed, it would be great if she did not die because of some stupid reason or decision. Boon ok is a clever individual and it is unfair that her character is pitted to be a petty and obnoxious young girl. Just like how you stated before, her character is a sign that one need not be highly educated to be clever and intelligent. Boon ok has constantly been misunderstood and unrecognized by her family and her peers, it would be a shame if her potential as a powerful character is not recognized at least towards the end of the drama. 

To further add on, if a morally grey character like Soo-ho can be given a chance at redemption, Boon ok definitely needs a chance as well. I feel kind of sad thinking, most people including Cheong ya can receive a chance at redemption. Yet, Boon ok might not be able to be given that chance. 

It is a shame that characters with depth have to be painted as the scapegoat for the audience to blame.

TinkerMeAway:

To further add on, if a morally grey character like Soo-ho can be given a chance at redemption, Boon ok definitely needs a chance as well. I feel kind of sad thinking, most people including Cheong ya can receive a chance at redemption. Yet, Boon ok might not be able to be given that chance. 

It is a shame that characters with depth have to be painted as the scapegoat for the audience to blame.

Absolutely, and I absolutely detest how when she says something nobody believes her, yet someone accused her, and suddenly the mob goes on a witch hunt.

Everyone just jumps to conclusion with her, they think the worst of her in the story. It's to the point where young ro is afraid of defending boon ok for fear of being judged.

I have seen your comments n your behaviour through your writing  and I must admit that you n boon ok are very similar. So negative, always ever ready to bring down belittle someone's efforts n always finding an excuse for your behaviour. Boon ok always thought that she deserves whatever other people had? but in fact she doesn't deserve anything good. She is pure evil n having a poor background or a sick parents doesn't justify her evil deeds, she didn't even hesitate to kill the very people who gave uer shelter n support, she didn't hesitate to frame another man...she didn't hesitate to point a gun at youngro the only being who are nice to her. Can't relate with your obsession with a evil entity probably you are like her too .

Kaku Moku:

I have seen your comments n your behaviour through your writing  and I must admit that you n boon ok are very similar. So negative, always ever ready to bring down belittle someone's efforts n always finding an excuse for your behaviour. Boon ok always thought that she deserves whatever other people had? but in fact she doesn't deserve anything good. She is pure evil n having a poor background or a sick parents doesn't justify her evil deeds, she didn't even hesitate to kill the very people who gave uer shelter n support, she didn't hesitate to frame another man...she didn't hesitate to point a gun at youngro the only being who are nice to her. Can't relate with your obsession with a evil entity probably you are like her too .

I must disagree, Boo ok is human. Yes, her actions aren't that great but neither of the characters in the show (except a few) is morally clean. All of them have done something gravely wrong. Soo-ho pointed a gun at the girl who saved his life and called her a human shield. Whether he meant it or not is a different situation, he was ready to kill people in the dorm if he needed to.  I'm not justifying Boon ok's actions, it's just a fact that everybody is morally grey and there is only so much a person can take and not lash out.  To also point out, the guy she framed was ready to be violent towards her and a lot of times made many inappropriate remarks towards her. She does not have to be nice to him. Just like how Kimsamsoon said, Boon ok took things that were insignificant to the girls. The material things the girls at the dorm had forgotten about and hadn't cared for, yet suddenly care for when Boon ok has taken it. It isn't because those things are precious to them, rather they aren't okay with Boon ok having them. The author of this post does not have an "obsession" with an evil entity,  it is understanding the depth of character who is human and a product of her circumstances. 

Sooho have suffered more than boon ok but it seems humanity is still alive in him. Sooho is loyal(even to the man who uses him as his weapon and his comrades). Sooho genuinely cares about people whether its his comrades or youngro...he tries his best to protect them,keep them happy in the best possible ways(getting noodles n chicken for his comrade)...sooho pointed the gun at youngro in order to protect her(you show how once the authority went to the doctor, youngro got beaten up) he wanted to protect her.....so in what ways sooho n boon ok is similar??? Kindly explain...boon ok is not loyal to anyone not even to youngro who was always good to her, she uses people for her own good like being good to youngro to get her books,go on a date, form a fake romance angle to stay safe,betray her own country for money n shoot at the person who kept her protected......sooho was loyal to his country till the end(until he realised that he n his men were being betrayed)..for sooho nothing is greater than the lives of his men n the hostage not even 300million... 

So, your Statement help me to state that boon ok evilness has no correlation to her being from a poor family....sooho was even poorer n without a parents...if there is goodness inside you it may take time but I will come out n overshadow your evil side but in boon ok case its not true.

You know what, just read the original post by Kimsamsoon. I am not saying this to you with any intention of malice or ill intent.  You don't have to like Boon ok, it is fine. All I'm saying is no character is extremely good or bad, they are all morally grey. Just read the entire post once more and try to look at it from an unbiased standpoint. It will be able to answer a lot of the questions of why Boon ok is the product of her circumstances. I am not saying she is a good person, but I am not saying she is a bad person. She is a person, that is it. 

Others are grey but boon ok is pure black??

No, she is not.  I am not going to go of explaining why all over again. As I said, the original post perfectly sums up why Boon ok is the way she is. If you still are not able to understand her, that is your point of view. I won't impose anything more.