Extraordinary Attorney Woo (이상한 변호사 우영우) was a Korean TV drama with an autistic person as the lead character and central to the story. It depicted the challenges and prejudices faced by an autistic in Korea, in particular a lawyer.

Extraordinary Attorney Woo (이상한 변호사 우영우) was generally received by real-life autistic persons. The show and the team, in particular the lead actor Park Eun Bin (박은빈), positive reactions from both autistics and neurotypicals. I am autistic myself and my opinions about the show only represents my own, this prompted me to contact autistic people and asked them some of questions about the show and autism.

Without further ado, let’s dive in!

Portrayal of autistic persons was never good. For decades autistic characters were portrayed with stereotypical traits and quirks, and usually depicted in a negative way. I asked fellow autistic persons about it.

Q: Before watching ‘Extraordinary Attorney Woo’, what was your opinion on films and dramas based on autism, as well as, the portrayal of autistics / persons with autism?

wanderingFranzi

Often very stereotypical perpetuating only one or two “varieties” of autism, mostly involving white male character and often geniuses or the other extreme of autistic people who cannot live by themselves and have high support needs in managing every day life.

Autistic A

Stereotypical. It was often white men.

Evelyn

Autistic characters have been portrayed with stereotypical behaviors and made to look a bad behavior.

Autistic B

It’s stereotypical, it’s offensive.

Lawrence

Uneducated.

Continue reading here: https://im.youronly.one/snoworld/extraordinary-attorney-woo-autism-2022272/

I also think that portraying autistic people as some kind of cute mascot character is bad, not because they aren't cute or it's bad to be cute, but because that's not what autism is about. Autistic people can and often are violent, aggressive, and unhinged. Meltdown can often involve becoming physically aggressive, and special interest can be more than just obsession with whales, dolphins or some cute mascot animal.
Besides, these directors don't even understand what special interest is. It's not one for life. People on the spectrum have "tunnel vision" which means that if some topic interest them they tend to hyper focus on it and research it deeply. And then after they learned enough, after few months of obsessive interest, they often move to something else.