Hi quick question:

King Liang was introduced as a 异姓王 or a king with a different surname, which suggests he is a remnant of the previous dynasty's ruler. Is the Dowager Empress also related to him somehow?

PeachBlossomGoddess:

Hi quick question:

King Liang was introduced as a 异姓王 or a king with a different surname, which suggests he is a remnant of the previous dynasty's ruler. Is the Dowager Empress also related to him somehow?

Hi, good question! As the novel only mentions GJS's uncle, King Liang and the empress dowager had some political exchange secretly, so they reached an agreement to marry the princess to GJS at the start to consolidate the alliance. In ep 3, the messenger is Liang's follower. But Liang is not biologically related to the imperial family coz of the different surnames. He's awarded the title coz of his help to the last emperor in the early years. 

Btw, GJS's uncle Jiang He is a good person, caring about his family. Though he's a cunny fox in court, he always helps GJS and his friends on important issues in the novel's second half. He's also Fan Xuan's secret ally. 

Ah ok, so the Empress Dowager was in cahoots with King Liang but not Jiang He! That is good to know he is not a villain, I don't think GJS's mum can take the heartbreak of her bro.... Tyvm :)

PeachBlossomGoddess:

Ah ok, so the Empress Dowager was in cahoots with King Liang but not Jiang He! That is good to know he is not a villain, I don't think GJS's mum can take the heartbreak of her bro.... Tyvm :)

Oh, the empress dowager represents the old royal clan of the last dynasty. Though she admitted the new emperor Fan Xuan, she's still against him and wants to control some political powers. In the next corruption case of the new capital arc, we'll see how she tries to fight against the emperor but fails coz of GJS's brilliant idea. (if the drama didn't change it) :D

Can't wait! I love political storylines.

PeachBlossomGoddess:

Can't wait! I love political storylines.

Same!

CloudA:
Oh, the empress dowager represents the old royal clan of the last dynasty. Though she admitted the new emperor Fan Xuan, she's still against him and wants to control some political powers.

I never get the fact that these Empress Dowager, both in the Story of Ming Lan, and Destined, literally survived a coup with the help of the new Emperor, and still act ungrateful towards them. Am I the only one who thinks they should actively engage in ensuring complete and peaceful transfer of power? It seems odd that someone who went through hell because of power struggle, will continue to sustain such a power struggle instead of feeling the urgency for peace and stability.

I think you would have to think about how they came to survive in the first place.  An individual like that can’t and shouldn’t be trusted.  It’s probably ingrained in her every being, so how in the world can she be otherwise?  It could also be a survival mechanism.  At least they give us food for thoughts, angst and plenty of entertainment.  Better than Heavenly emperors ?

emberscorpio:

I’m not sure. I’m obsessed with the show now and I have been poring over some fan vids on bilibili. Some are saying that Jiusi was framed and went to prison. The princess says that she will release him if Jiusi agreed to marry. Yuru tells the princess that that the only way to get Jiusi to marry her is overher (Yuru’s) dead body, literally.  Jiusi would only marry the princess if she were dead. So in order to save Jiusi, Yuru drank a cocktail that made her appear dead. Jiusi was released from prison and thought that Yuru was really dead. Grieving and heartbroken, he requested to be sent on an assignment far away, to the Yellow River project and stayed there for 3 years.  But comments are saying that this didn’t happen in the book.  So I have no idea.

I just came from the preview for tomorrow eps and you are right... At this point, I just hope they wrapped everything nicely and not rushed the ending

apprently during these 3 years , FL become very rich and she is a businesswoman  and help ML secretly, they will see each other

YESMISSA:

apprently during these 3 years , FL become very rich and she is a businesswoman  and help ML secretly, they will see each other

will ml marry the princess???

ItsU:
will ml marry the princess???

normally no, but we will see tomorrow

YESMISSA:

normally no, but we will see tomorrow

Doubt it.  Otherwise, he would not have left the capital.

Madoncdramas:
It could also be a survival mechanism.

Yes, but what for? When a new dynasty is established, the royal family of the old dynasty will loose its influence. All they are doing is trying to delay the inevitable, by colluding with ministers who want to make personal gains, by betraying the current Emperor.  Empress Dowager and other royal family ladies who lived in the palace definitely know that those who approach them to delay the current Emperor from taking full control over the Imperial Court has personal motives, yet they are willing to collude with such people. That's what I said in my initial response as well.

totallygayboyhere:
It seems odd that someone who went through hell because of power struggle, will continue to sustain such a power struggle instead of feeling the urgency for peace and stability.

I haven't finish reading the novel but I'm impatient lol. Why did LZS thought his original father is Gu Langhua? Where the relation came from?