Weak Hero Class 1: An Elegy on Youth Fragility

Editorials - Dec 31, 2022 

Weak Hero Class 1 presents the fragility of youth, painfully but beautifully, in only an eight-episode-drama.

While I don't 100% percent agree with everything that's mentioned, I thought the whole thing was very insightful. I like the aspect about the fragility of youth because a lot of this does boil down to kids making ridiculously bad decisions and choices all because of fragile egos (which they more than likely won't even grow out of because NO ONE was held accountable for anything), insecurity, and immaturity. 

While Suho and Si Eun surely weren't perfect and there were a couple of times when they ended up apologizing, I think, for them, they thought they were making the best choices to deescalate the situation (for the most part).  Could different choices have led to a better conclusion? Maybe but I'm not sure considering once upon a time Bum Seok had tried to report the bullying and all that happened was more bullying and mocking followed by transferring schools where he could potentially go through that again. Si Eun's parents PREFERRED that he was self sufficient and low maintenance so why would he have talked to them about anything? Even when the police were involved, that HEAVILY relies on proof that bad things are happening and even then, we've seen how Bum Seok's father could have things covered up. So yeah, maybe trying to solve things a different way might have changed things but who knows? They tried to handle things as simply as possible by themselves, for themselves. Personally, that was my takeaway about the dad saying, "you did a good job/you didn't do anything wrong". I don't think he spoke to Suho's grandmother or Young Gi, I think he was just told enough about the situation (from teachers) and came to that same conclusion; given the circumstances, he did his best to handle things AND he only got expelled versus imprisoned so yeah, he did do a hell of a good job.

I didn't notice that Bum Seok didn't latch on to Si Eun in the same way that he did for Suho because they were similar. I mean, on some level I might have known that but I just never thought of it that way. I thought the reason(s) Bum Seok didn't have bitterness towards Si Eun was because Si Eun was always following after him to ask if he was okay or saying that it wasn't his fault that he was bullied vs Suho who said "what did you do [to get bullied] which just probably added on to Bum Seok's grievances against Suho (even though I think viewers and Si Eun knows that Suho didn't mean it in a malicious "the problem must be you" kind of way).

I also didn't know about Si Eun inviting them to eat haha

Since I've read the webtoon, I naturally agreed with Suho about Bum Seok latching onto them for the clout and protection they could offer. After watching reaction videos, I can also see Si Eun's point of Bum Seok being lonely and being used (which he very clearly was but it was also reciprocal). I think Bum Seok kinda crossed the point of no return even before he tried getting Suho beat up. When he insulted Suho and said he only saw him as a lackey (or whatever he said) already showed he had a warped perception of events considering Suho never wanted or asked of anything from him. Even when they were talking about restaurants to eat at, Suho suggested treating. Before Young Gi was invited to join them, they looked to Bum Seok to see if he was okay with it. (Sigh, I'll end up ranting haha)

Because this will get even longer, I'll end here (even though it may never be read haha)