I agree.  I think Hai Tan Duo Duo is his perfect mate!!

Lin Wan'er's weakness is just her illness that affect her physical health.  Her gentleness and kind nature is her strength.    I have no problem with her character.  In fact, am glad she's not those spoilt princess with childish behaviour/thinking.  She was firm in her decision when it comes to love (for Fan Xian), even though her brother and mother tried to talk her out of it.  Fan Xian finds that she's the only one whom he felt most at ease with (other that Teng Zijeng)  and he went to her for emotional support when Teng Zijeng died.  I don't expect to see similarity in every character be it male or female as it will be boring.  JOY had got many interesting characters, each stands out of its own and that's what make this drama so interesting.   All the casts did an excellent job in portraying their roles.  I like Duo Duo too, but somehow I still prefer Lin Wan'er with Fan Xian.  

Update from Chinese news article 5/26/2021: Wang screenwriter is done with script for JOL2. He's working on JOL3 script now. Beforehand there was news that actress playing Lin Wan'er (Li Qin) and actor playing Yan Bing Yun (Sean Xiao) may not be returning for JOL2 given their film schedules this year are packed. But with the announcement that both JOL 2 and 3 will be filmed back to back there's a higher chance both will return for the 2nd and 3rd "season" of JOL. 

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....I want Xiao Zhan!!!!!!!!

Gracious Ly:

Lin Wan'er's weakness is just her illness that affect her physical health.  Her gentleness and kind nature is her strength.    I have no problem with her character.  In fact, am glad she's not those spoilt princess with childish behaviour/thinking.  She was firm in her decision when it comes to love (for Fan Xian), even though her brother and mother tried to talk her out of it.  Fan Xian finds that she's the only one whom he felt most at ease with (other that Teng Zijeng)  and he went to her for emotional support when Teng Zijeng died.  I don't expect to see similarity in every character be it male or female as it will be boring.  JOY had got many interesting characters, each stands out of its own and that's what make this drama so interesting.   All the casts did an excellent job in portraying their roles.  I like Duo Duo too, but somehow I still prefer Lin Wan'er with Fan Xian.  

Fan Xian is a playboy, he loves beautiful women, and Wan'Er let him go wild. We all know he's attracted to Si LiLi and HaiTang Duo Duo. I think Si LiLi is a very beautiful woman, sexy, and she loves him too. Besides these two women, sickly Wan'Er don't hold the candle. Her sickness  and royal family backup, to me, doesn't define who she is. Actually, Fan Xian has alot of confidantes; Wang Qi Nian, Fan Ruo Ruo, Uncle Wu Zu, Fei Jie those are people he loves and trust (of course Teng ZiJeng). When they first met, HaiTang won the fight, only with the fake love poison Fan Xian tricked her, they became good frenamy. Also as Fan Xian opened up to HaiTang that he thought her as a friend because he's lonely and friendlessness, he said "Father, wife, sister are just family..." ep 44 and I think we can see that they have this bond that Fan Xian felt so ease with her, he told about his worries and expectation more than to anyone else. In the book, Wan'Er jealous of HaiTang because she could hold his fascination and respect, the scene where HaiTang and FanXian danced (or fought display) at the palace would bring speculation that Fan Xian will marry Hai Tang.  But without marrying Wan'Er, Fan Xian would not get the ultimate position as Chief of Treasure. To many of us, Hai Tang has the caliber as Fan Xian...beauty, talent, expertise, intelligent, loyalty (opposite kingdom), and mind.  Wan'Er is just a chicken leg girl..and he's going to treat her like porcelain doll that need protection, tender and care.....while HaiTang will go about taking care of Northern Qi's kingdom's business. I love HaiTang and Fan Xian relationship..it grew...it developed...it matured their character and personality....HaiTang has more fire and wisdom.

Xtinew:
Fan Xian is a playboy, he loves beautiful women, and Wan'Er let him go wild. We all know he's attracted to Si LiLi and HaiTang Duo Duo.

I wouldn't call Fan Xian a playboy. He clearly stated that he loves only Lin Wan'er and knows his boundaries with other women. Si Lili's sex orientation spoiler: She is bisexual/lesbian. She made out with the Emperor of Beiqi, Zhan Doudou (who's actually a woman).  It's obviously not going to pass censorship, so screenwriter Wang Juan will have to make some changes with this. As for Haitang Duoduo, I feel like her dynamics with Fan Xian is more of a soulmates type.

Fan Xian and Duo Duo more like buddies.  Wan'er is Fan Xian's 1st love, he felt for her at first sight and not any other woman.  

What I understand about Si Lili, she's selling herself for gathering information from top notch government officials, she endured tortures and strong enough to oppose Fan Xian. But in the drama, Fan Xian was her first costumer so I think Fan Xian wasn't only admire her beauty but also her stubbornness. I think Si LiLi is just for covered up, an Emperor should have beautiful women on view and she fit the purpose as they called themselves as sisters. Fan Xian and Si Lili didn't go further than that,  of course Fan Xian is a playboy, he slept with  his maid (and have a baby girl) while wooing HaiTang, he also has sexual relationship with Northern Qi cross-dressing Emperor while promise Hai Tang marriage.Lin Wan'Er was the first girl he met, he definitely love her but he didn't stay faithful to her, his tendency of loving pretty faces. Relationship between HaiTang and Fan Xian is complicated one - they love and respect each other but both involving themselves with inner politic in their respective kingdoms. I don't know about the drama, there must be some twist that's different with the book so I am looking forward how the story is going to flow for every characters.........

Gracious Ly:

Fan Xian and Duo Duo more like buddies.  Wan'er is Fan Xian's 1st love, he felt for her at first sight and not any other woman.  

Honey, you should read the book, it's more explicit than the drama. Fan Xian went ga ga over Si LiLi, you can see his expression in the drama, he also loves HaiTang. Wan'Er was his first young love, he was only 16,  He won't stay faithful to Wan'Er....many girls love him. he thought that his previous life (as disable sickly man) he couldn't get a girl as he always desire women and wants to enjoy life as much..

I prefer watching drama than reading the novel.  Please don't share so much info from the novel.  I'll wait for S2 and S3 to find out.  Thank you!

Gracious Ly:

I prefer watching drama than reading the novel.  Please don't share so much info from the novel.  I'll wait for S2 and S3 to find out.  Thank you!

Sure, I won't share what's in the novel but you mistook Fan Xian's feeling as those who read the novel knew otherwise. You wrote, "Fan Xian and Duo Duo more like buddies.  Wan'er is Fan Xian's 1st love, he felt for her at first sight and not any other woman"...we don't have to read the novel to know Fan Xian fascination to Si LiLi, even Gao Da & Wang Qi Nian teased Fan Xian a lot about Si LiLi and later with HaiTang ep 34-46. The title Joy of Life...is from Fan Xian want to enjoy life so much than hold titles..(as why he didn't want to marry Princess Lin Wan'Er but the girl with chicken leg)...explained in ep 3-4

Not too worry, many important points in the book didn't get adapt in to drama. In the beginning of drama, Fan Xian was an university student, in the book though he wasn't. Someone wrote here that has something to do with censorship. We're fan sometimes going overboard and I am one of them but I respect that don't want to know 'spoil alert', I'd rather find out the end version because curiosity ...wondering why Yan BiYun stabbed Fan Xian (end ep 46)?  We are all want JOL season 2 & 3 soon.. but frankly we all don't know how much they'll adapt the novel into drama because season 1 was so different from novel. Not too worry you'll get 'spoil alert' from us...book worms. Rest assured......rest easy. 

Latest update by official production company: JOL2 filming will begin in quarter 4 (October, November, or December) of this year! 

sjadvocate:

Latest update by official production company: JOL2 filming will begin in quarter 4 (October, November, or December) of this year! 

Woot! woot!